The Last of Us - Naughty Dog's Next

A link to the review would be useful here…

That is what it stands for and who it’s run by. But PAX has always been a general gaming/geek convention. Lots of board and tabletop gaming take place too.

Think of PAX and PAX East as E3-type events with the general public being invited, and without the dog and pony press shows from MS, Sony, and Nintendo crowing about synergy and whatnot. PAX is awesome.

Oh ok, I’ll try to find it again, it was an odd link off neogaf.

Ok, interesting and unexpected. Sort of like a Microsoft Expo being all about cooking.

You know that Penny Arcade is a gaming site, right? A big part of that is a video-gaming focused comic, but still it’s a site about gaming.

Oh ok. I thought it was just a web comic.

So I just watched the live thing IGN had today… I’m not as “In the know” as some other folks might be here, but Eli as a sidekick may be the best one ever devised. The banter, decisions, etc. seem spot on in this live play through…Anyone else kind of digging how fluent that relationship seems to be?

I didn’t realize this is out in like 2 weeks. I just pre-ordered. I wasn’t into Uncharted 3, but maybe Naughty Dog weren’t either, and this is more the game they’d like to make now. Uncharted 2 was fantastic, imo.

This comes out in two weeks!? Cripes. I better start saving up. Is this PS3 only?

Yeah.

Kind of surprised there isn’t more chatter here about this title. From everything I have read, it looks pretty spiff. I always get worried about a title I am looking forward to when the folks at QT3 go mum…

I plan on day one digital pre purchase on this. As a steam fan i’m excited but meh on the full price. A first for me ona console game tho…

Amazonhas $10 credit on this, just a fyi.

If I had any kind of gaming time, I’d be getting this at launch. Everything I’ve read / seen has been intriguing, and I’ve even consider pre-ordering. Unfortunately, my backlog is already pretty huge. If the hype on launch is big enough, I might just allow myself to get swept along with it, though!

Review embargo lifts on Wednesday morning.

Wow. So this is getting some of the best overall review scores (I fear reading anything about the game, I want to go in knowing almost nothing) I’ve seen in some time.

Thoughts? Did all but those bottom four or five in the 70-85 range get bought off? Will Tom give this one or maybe two stars?

It’s a PS3 game. For whatever reason, the PS3 doesn’t get much love on Qt3.

Those are some pretty stellar reviews. Although after feeling let down by Bioshock Infinite, I’ll tread carefully.

I love the Uncharted franchise so this is a no brainier for me. After Tomb Raider I was thinking that as good as Uncharted, the second game specifically, was naughty dog was going to have to do some work to keep up. From what I’ve seen so far it looks like Last of Us will be a good answer. Tom is not always a contrarian, sometimes a game is just great and loved by a massive majority, see Arkham City. But, Tom definitely has his own opinions and I do admire the fact that all five stars gets used. Anyway we will just have to actually play the game to find out. The reviews are interesting but I was getting this anyway and we’ll see how it shakes out.

I would like to eventually hear Tom’s take on this game. If the character really comes through in the game as strongly as it has in the marketing material it will be pulling me along like Tomb Raider did. It seemed like that was one if the things that really worked for Tom. Here’s hoping he’s got a working PS3.

Tom M

I think Naughtydog games just play well with reviewers, they generally heavily overrated Uncharted 2 IMO. So in that regards it’s a bit hard for me to gauge what the quality of this game actually is as I feel reviewers are just predisposed to go gaga for it.