12 reasons Agents of Mayhem isn't just another open-world playground

I often disagree with Tom, but he writes so well that I can usually tell from the review whether I would like/dislike the game as much as he did or if I’m unlikely to feel the same way about the things he mentions.

This is why I decided to go ahead and buy the game. I really liked all the Saints Row Games but I don’t think I finished half of them. I just always burned myself out with the mechanics way before I exhausted all the content.

Kind of bad initial first impression in that tutorial dungeon but it quickly picked up from there and I am quite enjoying myself and the endless upgrades.

Is there any reason to not remap the hold shift to run to toggle to run?

Yeah, I’ve been loving this too. Rama and Braddock both had great intro missions that showed both their individual personalities and the way they interact with the team in fun, concise ways. I’m excited to get more Agents thanks to the strength of those missions and characters.

There is not. I initially bound “run toggle” to a separate key, but I’ve just got it bound to Shift now. It functions the same if you Tap or Hold, so the toggle is just a more versatile “hold to run” binding.

Run toggle probably works fine, but I should warn you there are some locations and missions types where you will want to stay on smallish platforms or catwalks. Not running might make it easier?

-Tom

At least on the PC remapping shift to run toggle is the first thing you should do. It doesn’t work like how I want, it’s not an always on run because it resets every time you stop moving. So you will have to keep hitting the ‘toggle’ button constantly, but that’s better than just trying to hold down the shift key with your poor pinky for the entire game. Gamepad players may feel differently.

No risk there - as Gendal says, it’s not a permanent toggle. It stops as soon as you let go of movement. It’s literally just a “would you prefer to tap or hold shift every time you run” option.

Sonic Heroes is another one (although not what you were thinking of).

I’m curious about all the reviews/comments bashing the supposed emptiness/lifelessness of the city. Because my recollection of the Saints Row 4 city is that, well, I can’t recall it at all, because it was just a bunch of non-descript buildings that I was jumping over in the dark . Whereas all the video I’ve seen of AoM at least makes it look architecturally interesting, and there seems to be a reasonable amount of vehicle and foot traffic.

This is part of what makes SR3 a better game than the fourth one. The initial impression I had gotteb from Tom’s videos was that agents’city was quite empty, but the further he showed it, the less it was becoming an issue because of the ambient chaos.

The more I hear critiques of this game the more I wonder where the idea that this is an open-world game in the vein of the SR games or something like Assassins creed came from. Was it marketed like that? Is it just association from the SR games even though this isn’t a SR game? My guess is because it doesn’t look like an ARPG, that distinctive Diablo isometric viewpoint and mouse clicky gameplay, people just can’t imagine it being one. I was just listening to a podcast where they were complaining about having to go back to the ark so often to do things like change out characters or pick up new missions and I’m thinking “Yeah exactly that’s part of the gameplay, no one complains about going back to the hub in D3’s adventure mode to craft or upgrade or pick up new bounties”.

I don’t think this game is going to get the credit it deserves for what it’s doing here which is essentially putting variety of powers and playstyles that ARPGs excel at into a package that looks like an open-world game.

Exactly my feeling. A lot of people seem to criticize the game for not being the game they wanted after SR4 and complain about stuff that is just part of the genre. They really did not explain this very well it looks like or the message got lost in translation somewhere. So far it is a barrel of fun, but I am already a bit miffed that the agents at home do not get XP: I understand why but my first three are 10+ while the rest is 2-7 and it is getting annoying choosing lower difficulties because the toons just can`t keep up in a mixed party I feel. Is there a trick to level them faster?

There doesn’t seem to have been much of a message at all, as discussed in the other thread. I really don’t understand why you’d publish a game like this in August if not to have a clear run for your marketing campaign. A campaign which seems to have been non-existent.

The Marvel Ultimate Alliance games lockstepped all the characters so as you leveled one, you leveled them all. I hated that. It felt cheap. Plus, I wanted to appreciate the characters’ new powers as they acquired them. I didn’t want all that stuff dumped in my lap without me having ever learned how to play the character, much less without me ever having earned it.

Agents of Mayhem kind of does this by letting you find gadgets for the characters you’re not playing. So even though you’re not leveling them, you’re still getting their new powers.

Besides, I think you’ll find your lesser player characters in Agents of Mayhem level really quickly due to the Agency level bonus. Any characters under the agency level get a leveling boost. I maxxed out my agency (level 20) pretty easily.

-Tom

How do I revive a downed team member? I know it mentioned something about a saints fleur-de-lis thing, but I forget.

Go back to the Ark, get a Fleur-de-lis, or restart from the last checkpoint. I used to think firing off another character’s mayhem power might also do it, but I’m pretty sure that’s not the case.

-Tom

Wait you can buy a Fleur? I thought they only popped up in battle. A Fleur is different than the thing that’s a consumable that revives you automatically, right?

You cannot buy a Fleur-de-lis. They are drops from elite enemies.

I haven’t used that Gremlin Tech yet, but I thought it only helped you in the event of a party wipe. Did I not read the text correctly?

-Tom

It can be used two ways: Triggering it manually revives all fallen agents (i.e. 1 or 2). It also works automatically if you have it equipped and your last agent dies.

Sweet! I’mma go craft a bunch of those suckers! Thanks, @Guap.

-Tom

PS4 or PC?

Any way to buy this digitally less than full retail?