2016 Horror Roundup Thread

So we can keep track of what’s coming and going and not need to randomly bump into recommendations in threads scattered here and there. What constitutes “2016” will be release date but occasionally my own whims. I’ve lived with them long enough, now they can haunt you people. Links to threads/reviews/etc will be added as applicable. I do intend this thread as more of a “one stop shop to get recommendations” and not 10,000 words why you should have watched It Follows if you haven’t already. Also, if you stumble on something unknown for older years mention it and it’ll get listed anyway.

10 Cloverfield Lane - fairly well received movie that was sort of shoehorned into a different cinematic universe, the same way Pitch Black/the Riddick sequels were. Everyone remember to see this when it’s available on demand/for rent/etc.

The Boy - jan 22 wide - As it’s a January release I’m not inclined to pay much attention to this. If anyone goes do let us know.

[B]Black Mountain Side/B - (Nick Szostakiwskyj) - Available on Amazon currently. Indie Lovecraftian horror Malkav11 liked.

Baskin - Limited in thearers 3/25, also DVD. Turkish “surreal horror”, seeing Fulci tossed around a lot in comparison as well. So gore.

Dark Signal - trailer. Weird looking brit horror that already hit theaters.

Don’t Breathe (August in theaters) - Jane Levy and her drug dealing boyfriend and actually not gay best friend are 3 poor teenagers who decide to Rob a blind guy who is sitting on some serious bennies. The Blind guy is played by Stephen Lang, meaning he’s the hardest case blind guy ever. And gives the kids much more than they bargained for in this tables turned home invasion movie. And it looks like he’s got some shit going on in the house, to boot.

Hush - semi or noncenventional slasher/thriller that came out in spring. Features Jim from Newsroom.

Lights Out - (7/22 wide). Discussion thread. scary shit lives in the darkness in Teresa Palmer’s life (she’s most famous from, uh, that zombie movie with Beast from X-Men I guess. Or I Am Number Four). Sounds Rote but it’s off to a 17/1 start at Rotten Tomatoes (currently 56/13 for a strong 81%). I urge you not to watch the trailer as while I don’t think it entirely spoils the plot it reveals a twist that’s probably going to make the movie interesting. There was a short the idea was based on that’s out tehre on the youtubes apparently. Go see it and join the discussion thread.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (thread) - (Burr Steers) Feb 5th. Will this be like the book? Or anything any good? Or even horror? Lily James (Elizabeth Bennet), Lena Heady (Lady Catherine), and Matt Smith (Mr Collins) are the biggest names.

Southbound - (Anthology) - Front Page Review. Amazon on demand currently. Tom liked it.

They Look Like People - (Amazon VOD) Front Page, Pod Cast. Tom and several others liked this one.

The Witch (thread) (Robert Eggers, debut) - Feb 26th wide. This one made a lot of noise at Sundance in 2015 and has gotten a lot of attention. Really looking forward to it.

reserved

Knock Knock - Eli Roth strikes again.

Little Dead Rotting Hood (2016) - Should have known from the title. Nope.

It just made me remember this gem from 2015 - Howl - a very solid werewolf movie. Definitely worth watching.

What you should have known about Little Dead Riding Hood isn’t from the title, but from Asylum, the studio that made it. :) Seeing that in the credits is pretty much a death knell. Their creative process begins and ends with the title of a movie.

I wasn’t crazy about Howl, but I did like how it addressed the idea that no matter how badass a werewolf might be, it can still get its ass kicked by a bunch of determined people.

Charmtrap, Knock Knock came out last year. At pretty much the same time as Green Inferno, if I recall correctly. Knock Knock is by far the better movie, but that isn’t saying much. Roth is as clumsy as ever doing his home invasion version of Oleanna. The best part of the movie is…

Roth spoiler

…when Keanu Reeves accidentally likes a video. Which is kind of how I felt about that moment in the movie.

-Tom

“Bitch, you barkin’ up the wrong tree. I’m from Oakland! I know a ghetto ass ho when I see one.”

Poor Eric Balfour. What happened to his career? Syfy TV series and Z-grade horror movies.

Oh, I mistook it for new, I guess. Rented it on Amazon yesterday, because I thought: how bad could it be? It’s pretty bad. Keanu at his absolute wooden best and Eli Roth still doesn’t seem to have any idea of what tone he’s going for in any of his movies. I’m pretty sure he meant Knock Knock to be funny, but it was an awful long way to go for one not very funny joke.

Roth "joke

“Daddy had a party”

I did then go and watch (well, skipped through) the original on Youtube that Knock Knock is a remake of…Death Games. Muuuuch more fucked up and entertaining.

Oh man, I’ve never even heard of Death Games. Thanks for the tip.

And isn’t it cool how many old movies are posted to YouTube? I never thought I’d be able to re-watch classics like this so conveniently!

-Tom

Super looking forward to the witch.

The poster is the best thing:

That’s always been his career though. I mean, yes, he’s been a support in bigger series than what’s on Syfy (but not a main). I think he’s a very capable actor who just hasn’t caught a big break. He probably doesn’t look the right way to catch that sort of break. It’s a familiar story.

I don’t trust that goat for some reason.

I watched Green Inferno a little while back and I have to agree that Roth is just not a very good filmmaker. What an awful film that was. He wants to recapture the spirit of grindhouse films, but he just doesn’t have the talent to pull it off.

That goat looks bored or, rather, unimpressed.

First result I get on Google for ‘unimpressed goat’ (yes, I’m that bored at the moment. Proof: I’m watching the latest Paranormal Activity right now)

If The VVitch is a movie about an evil goat, I am so in.

I think it’s actually an ensemble piece. The goat teams up with a pig, a duck and a cat. Hijinks ensue. Souls are lost.

That’ll do, goat.

-Tom

I saw the Witch in the Sitges festival last year. Great soundtrack and some great moments but I was left unsatisfied overall. That could be more of a me problem as the movie’s tone is spot on throughout.

Also Green Inferno predates Knock Knock by over a year. It got stuck in distribution hell for a long time. Who would have thought a jungle cannibal movie might not be popular? I enjoyed it more than Knock Knock, which didn’t have the balls to actually run with its setup, and wimps out totally by the end.

I’d recommend The Invitation if you haven’t seen it. It’s in the Unusual Dinner Party subgenre, and while it doesn’t wrote sick the landing, it’s a great ride in an enclosed space with a very sympathetic lead. It involves a dead kid, so caveat parentor.

Heh, I actually would have reversed the comments and said that about Green Inferno (that it didn’t have the balls to run with its setup and wimps out by the end). Roth pulls waaaaay back from the Italian cannibal movies he’s supposedly homaging. And for all the guff he gets, I find Keanu Reeves a way more likeable protagonist than Roth’s wife, Lorenza Izzo.

-Tom

Updated with some of the Q1 releases I want to see (Southbound in particular). Anybody checking out Baskin this weekend? Anybody looking forward to the Blake Lively “trapped on some rocks by a Great White” that’s coming soon?

Baskin is pretty bad. :(

I would normally think the Blake Lively thing was just this for Americans, but the director has done some really good stuff. Orphan and Run All Night are great. And House of Wax was a pretty promising way for a first-time director to introduce himself.

-Tom