2017: Whither Democrats?

Again, which capital D Democrats haven’t had Elizabeth Warren’s back?

That just feels like a very lazy complaint, frankly.

If you want to complain about liberal writers/pundits/voters, well…go right ahead. But realize that the sometimes sharp disagreements come from not supporting the Republican Party and its ingrained discouragement of critical thinking. This is something baked into the recipe of being a thoughtful progressive/liberal/lefty/lower-case D democrat.

Demos as in “people” in Greek, not the party, sorry.

Coming off a very discouraging interview I read which cited studies showing policy has almost no impact on voting.

I got you. Never mind me!

If a major GOP politician was in this same boat, would we see the same level of silence? I don’t see a whole lot of high-profile folks stepping out to say that her response was reasonable, that it shows she wasn’t lying, and that it puts the matter to rest. This is what they should be doing. Even her 2020 competitors should really be doing that, but they aren’t because they want it take her down, and the leadership isn’t because they don’t want to be accused of playing favorites. So instead, Trump gets to shape the narrative, with GOP leaders his cheering section behind him.

It isn’t a big deal, but it’s indicative of the same inability to operate effectively in the current political environment.

When Cockroach Herodotus is reading all this stuff, he’s gonna be shaking his antennae. “Their greatest scientists released a report saying the planet would be doomed without immediate action… and this is what they spent their time worrying about? Foolish chordates!”

No, they really shouldn’t. Doing so essentially will be taken as a de facto endorsement of her candidacy for President by voters, pundits and certain media outlets.

When prominent Democrats issue de facto endorsements of Presidential candidates long before primary season, they get accused of tampering with the process.

Which way do you want to have it? Can’t have it both ways.

You give too much credit to Herodotus. He’d be writing crazy-ass shit like “According to this guy I talked to in Old Pennsyltucky, mankind was brought low by great flaming sky leopards with eight heads and seven wings. He said he was totally there, and I don’t have any reason to disbelieve him, so we should assume that every part of that story is true. History!”

What you’re really looking for here is Cockroach Thucydides!

Haha, nice.

It’s important that you read the word “History!” at the end of my joke in the same tone and volume as Gilberg Gottfried ending his version of “The Aristicrats.”

So what you’re saying is that they shouldn’t have her back, because she’s probably running for President and some media folks might clutch their pearls and start shouting “DWS! DWS!”? If you can’t do anything without first consulting the polls, figuring out what the press will say, and predicting all the memes, then you can’t do anything at all.

Well, now I won’t be happy until we’ve seen Hollywood produce a Herodotus biopic starring Gottfried.

Him wearing that headdress while talking about Cherokees is… brilliant? Abominable? Brilliantly abominable? I’m afraid to have an opinion about it.

No that isn’t what I said at all. In fact, I deliberately used this phrase, which you apparently missed:

I deliberately put VOTERS (and maybe I should’ve all-capped it for your benefit) first, because in the 2016 primary season, those of us who are capable of remembering that recall all too well how premature endorsement of Hillary Clinton – even if it wasn’t an actual endorsement, but just someone saying something nice about her candidacy – was taken as “The Party Decides” vs “The People Decide”.

And let me be even more painfully clear for your benefit. Democrats can say plenty of nice and helpful and supportive things about Elizabeth Warren. I hope they will continue to do so. I think that’s a given.

BUT – on things specifically tied into her potential run for President, they should be very careful.

And unfortunately, Warren made this video feel very much like a pre-announce announcement. And Democrats – remembering the issues of Sanders and Clinton in 2016 – are going to be very careful.

(It’s also incredibly important to remember that candidates have limited bandwidth to make a point in the media. Any Democratic elected official in any capacity needs to be using their entire bandwidth to promoting GOTV and progressive candidates right now. Ain’t no one needing to take the time on Elizabeth Warren’s video right now–a video she could’ve released on November 7th.)

Are there any studies that determine at what point political campaigns can actually contact potential voters enough so as to cause a backlash? I am in Nunes district, and we probably get 2 phone calls a day and probably that much mail per day from Nunes opponent (Janz) or a PAC favoring him.

We get calls from all over the state and local calls.

I can just imagine with his money how Texas voters probably feel about O’Rouke by now.

https://twitter.com/marcorandazza/status/1051961685030797312

You agree with Randazza on something!

Just a random example: when Rick Perry embarrassed himself by failing to name three departments to eliminate, GOP leaders were basically silent.

Are you referring to something that happened during the presidential debate? When he was competing against other GOP members?

Yes. Do you think that Warren is not viewed as competition by any Democrats?

They started this entire insult campaign long before this year, and no this is not a presidential debate. If they are trying to sink her now, that only supports that fact that the Democrats, what would be capital D for those keeping track, have no intention of supporting one of their own. And any Democrat that supports this line of attack, should turn their D and join the racist and sexist party that is the GOP. This is not an acceptable attack from anyone who knows any level of decency.

And when do GOP politicians “support their own”? Only when they need something in return. Right now there are at least three GOP politicians mired in scandal. While Fox talking heads are happy to speak up for them, you barely hear a peep from actual GOP politicians. The former get ratings for their efforts, the latter get nothing.

The same is true of Democratic politicians. When the birther nonsense was in full swing, Obama’s cabinet and close allies spoke up for him occasionally, but most Democratic politicians didn’t bother. Obama is a big boy and Warren is a big girl. They can defend themselves.

Yeah except for you know, everyone complaining when she does.

I don’t agree with trying to compare with Warren proving what she says has been right all along after years of enduring these attacks from several members of the opposing parties as somehow, or at all, equivalent to someone screwing up a talking point in a presidential debate as proof that no one should else should speak up. It’s not even remotely the same thing.