2017: Whither Democrats?

I agree and think 2016 was more a vote against Hillary Clinton than a vote for Trump.

Give America someone they’d want to vote for. Find the most qualified person Americans will like (minus Trump folks who we need to ignore completely)

Warren ratfucked herself with the DNA test. At the best, it showed what, 5 generations ago she had Native American ancestors, and at worse it showed her foolishly thinking that actually releasing any proof of anything matters.

As I mentioned earlier, she did not have a convincing win in her own state. Sure, she won by double digits, but in this climate going against a traditional Rep opponent, she should have gotten more votes. Our Republican governor – who, to be fair is a true RINO – did better than her. That does not bode well for her chances.

Who is the candidate they won’t do this to?

Um, no. I’m not saying these would not be good candidates, but they are surely not immune to the rather obvious GOP attacks.

It’s not baffling at all: have we learned nothing from 2016? There is an entire machine out there devoted to tearing her down because she’s one of the most formidable anti-oligarch forces. Somewhere there’s a troll farm with a bunch of people adding the following comments to any mention of Warren that pops up on the net.

• I don’t like Warren. There’s just something about her that puts me off. Why can’t she be more like Bernie or Biden?
  • Warren is a radical extremist who will destroy the economy.
  • Warren just can’t do anything right. Why doesn’t she address the Pocahontas issue? (Which then changed to: Warren just can’t do anything right. Why did she address the Pocahontas issue? It just drew attention to it.)

… and then of course the capper:

• I support Warren on the issues. But she’s unelectable. Everybody says so.

And then of course all this becomes conventional wisdom and gets repeated everywhere by everyone.
Clearly it’s true because everybody says so! (And no matter who eventually gets the Dem nod the machine will turn on them, too: Warren is just in the crosshairs because it’s early.)

You really don’t get it. There will always be an “e-mails” somewhere. Always. No matter who the candidate is, no matter how clean their background, the machine will find something and manufacture it into an issue. They’ll take a speck of dust and claim it’s a blemish, spend some time promoting the blemish into a mole, and then launch an all out blitz and assert the mole is a raging cancer.

And if there isn’t even a speck of dust, they’ll make something up. Like (a lack of) a birth certificate.

Why feed them ammo though?

And this works on left leaning voters as evinced by many of the responses in this thread.

FWIW (i.e. nothing) I’m strongly leaning toward the Amy Klobuchar camp. Not because of her policies or that she’s ‘scandal’ free (as Human Ton so aptly articulated, that doesn’t matter for Republicans or even the NYT), but rather because her personality is the perfect counterpoint to trump and I think she would appeal to suburban married women.

(I’m undecided though because a candidate like Beto who can energize and motivate millennials is also appealing, but at the same time it’s a scary proposition hoping that they turn out in sufficient numbers to carry the day.)

Literally anyone but those two and Pelosi.

But those things wont take.

I’m pretty sure we get it. You all just seem to think that elections are won with magic and dreams or something.

It’s not so much they are immune, but I think Biden or Beto will fight back better. I’m afraid Warren will come across as Hillary 2.0, and I’d rather see one of the younger Dems get the nod. Especially ones that have a contentious election and can do the dirty work.

And former conservatives think that only conservative Democrats with a military background can win. The proverbial pot meet kettle syndrome.

Sigh. I like Biden because he has his heart in the right place and he’d be good on policy, but Biden likes to handle women, and he’s been doing it for 40 years. The instant he becomes an actual candidate for President, the allegations are going to start flying. He has effectively no defense against it. There’s no fighting back.

Biden has many more issues than that, not the least of which he was a Senator from Delaware.

Sigh, I forgot about that.

I believe we need someone who isn’t a geriatric to be our candidate. That’s all.

That’s fair. While EWarren is holding up very well, her age is a definite weak point.

No, but if you want easy wins, they work. Especially in the places you tend to lose.

Like John Kerry?

He got more electoral votes than Clinton did.

And he was totally immune to that whole ratfucking thing.

Unfortunately for John Kerry, he was running against a guy with a “Military background” as well. I don’t know if I can make those scare quotes any scarier, but it is what it is.

Also Vietnam wasn’t one of the “Good wars” so service there doesn’t count.

Don’t forget that he wind-surfed.

I mean pick someone with more charisma than a shoe.

I also wouldn’t call Tammy Duckworth especially ‘conservative’ as far as Dem pols go.