2018 Frame Game

Final Fantasy XIIIVI: Street Fighter

So, basically asking someone to google “Gradriel” and get this over with? Because it’s definitely the top result. :)

Well I’m not doing that, but I’ll make a guess based on the clues.

Definitely Japanese. Reminds me of a Tales game, or of Altus or something. Either Sega Genesis, or perhaps PS1 era (perhaps even portable from later, but I’m thinking PS1).

So I’ll guess Tales of Eternia.

The game has a heck of a lot of hearts in it.

Problem is that was released in North America, and his only clue was it was only released in JP. So any guess I make will either be a nonsense guess like @Pod or a cheating one with Google Image lookup. Kind of a bummer. But I’m sure someone probably knows it!

You don’t need an image lookup, just use the word on the screen.

LOL, I love these forum games, but they have a real problem with implementation. And it’s no one’s “fault”, it’s the dynamics of the games themselves.

It’s probably just a “me” thing, but the words don’t themselves mean anything to me.

They don’t really need to mean anything. :P

I think GIS is sort of considered “cheating” though, so it’s more fun if someone actually just knows the game. Tough in cases like this though, I think.

Google Image search is definitely cheating. I’m not suggesting ever using that. I’m sorry I’m not making this more clear. No GIS. The posts above are all about “normal” google text searches.

In fact, I’m not even suggesting that you should use google (I mean text search here) to search for content (text or otherwise) in the images. But it’s a weird line. In the movie game thread, sometimes it’s essentially cheating to search for an actor you recognize in a movie you’ve never seen. And then place the setting or whatever to figure out the movie. But if you vaguely remember the movie and it’s on the tip of your tongue? Maybe imdb is ok. Maybe. Everyone draws their line somewhere different.

I think this is the crux of it. For me, I don’t want to have to edit: text Google a game, but if it’s something I know but can’t remember the name of (or how to spell), I’ll hit up Google to get that last mile.

Just to reiterate, I think googling an image is always cheating.

Right, same, I actually mis-spoke; I don’t want to have to text Google even, but I will to get that last little bit.

Yeah, that’s where I’m at too. When I know I know something already and just need to trigger that part of my brain.

That said, I’ve pulled up games in the past that I don’t know when I swear I do, and then I don’t answer it in the thread because that would be mean. :P

Probably only Tom Chick would play this.

Hey @rhamorim what does that say ;)

I dunno, and without digging through the entire Namco or Altus catalogue (or just search the character name) I got nothing.

It’s the prequel to a series of games that got… well at least some attention, from the same creator/artist. I never could play the sequels (they are tied to Sony recent hardwares), but the current game probably was too minor and too obscure (the gamepad in the centre was supposed to be a major hint ;)
I’ll post the answer when I spot another game to frame.

Edit: by the way, you are definitely on the very right track!

“Heart’s Truth”, “Stamina Recovery”, I think?

Thanks for that Well I’m hoping you know the game.

Though given your recent learning Japanese, and the probability this game is 15-20 years old…

I’ll just throw Majin Tensei. Random Altus series from the SNES- Saturn era

I cheated, but on the other hand there was a 0.0% chance I would have been able to really win this one. :)