2018 Horror Roundup Thread

Let’s kick things off with something about five years too late.

Never, never try to steal my thing, @telefrog. I will cut you and you will die alone.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2018, ) - the theme of this year is “we’re resurrecting or spinning off every property we can get our hands on”. That means rebooting some stuff for a time beyond the 2nd. This a union of all the natural result of all the sleeper low budget money makers and studios falling back on old habits. A problem with rebooting this franchise is that there’s no where to go with it unless you truly reimagine it (e.g. replace Freddy Kruger with cosmic horror. At which point just make a new movie and make sure everyone mentions it in the same breath with the original.

Since we just had a pointless remake, I can’t imagine why they would do another straight remake. But I’ll assume that’s what it is until given evidence to the contrary.

a Quiet Place (2018.4.6, theatrical, thread) - John Krasinski and Emily Blunt are a couple who. . . wait no sorry they play a couple in the movie (but they are a couple in RL too) who has kids and they all just sit around tcommunicating in sign language and then not dying. Because there is ?something? out there that is preying on humans that keys on sound. I got a faint post-apoc vibe from the trailer. Except maybe “post fall of man” is a better way to phrase it. I’m interested.

Abruptio (2018.5.31, ) - a man has an explosive device implanted in his neck and must run around committing crimes. I kept seeing this on upcomming horror movie lists, but not sure if horror.

An American Werewolf in London (2018, theatrical I am sure ) - see Nightmare. Also, I want to remind everyone that the one of the keys in the original was the wonderful effects work. You toss that (and maybe they won’t), what are you even doing?

Before I Wake (2018, now on Netflix) - Couple (Thomas Jane, Kate Bosworth) become foster parents for a little boy whose dreams can come true. Dreams to some. . . NIGHTMARES TO OTHERS. 4 out of 5 Qt3 formgoers think it will easily be better than Truth or Dare. AV Club posted a positive review, so there’s that.

Behind The Walls (2018?) - Haunted House story featuring Vanessa Angel (Kingpin, Weird Science tv show) that is shot from the perspective of the house. Or something that ridiculous. I mean, there’s no way this doesn’t get pushed to a 2019 dump. No way.

Beyond Green Inferno (2018, lol) - did anybody besides Eli Roth or a Studio Exec with too much time on his or her hands want this?

strong text (unsure when it will show up anywhere, but maybe soon) - Coming of age tale about a girl at a new school who is going through changes and also other. . .changes.

Buzzard Hollow Beef (2018, ?) - A family believes they have been poisoned by cannibalistic hillbiies. I don’t know what they expected.

Cargo (2018.05.18 Netflix) - Martin Freeman tries to carry his (?) child across Zombie-torn Australia towards. . . something ( a safe place perhaps?). Looks good.

The Cured (2018) - this was in my notes but I seem to have missed adding it here. The Ellen Paige zombie flick about the underclass of cured Zombie Attack sufferers is finally coming out! Yay?

dead snow 3 (2018, eh who cares) I didn’t see the first and was unaware of the second. But Martin Starr was in the second, so now I want to see it.

Death House (2018.1.26, Limited) - Two federal agents fight their way through a secret prison known as “we dumped this movie but in sort of half-hearted fashion”.

Delirium (2018 TBD, ) - Topher Grace stars as a man released fron a mental institution who thinks the house he has inherited is haunted. Dennis Iliadis (Last House on the Left remake) directs, and that’s got to have everyone tingling.

Devil’s Gate (2018.1.5, limited/VOD) The guy who saved the cheerleader in Heroes something something demons. Bridget Regan features.

Friday the 13th part XII: Jason vs. Jarvis in 3d (2018, who honestly cares) - lol. but this is better than a reboot. On the other hand, I remain stuck asking WHY U NO JASON VS FREDDY VS ASHE.

The Cloverfield Paradox (formerly God Particle, 2018.2.4, Netflix, thread) - This is the untitled Cloverfield-verse movie set on a space station where an experiment goes wrong or something. I have to repeat a point I asked about last year. If you score a “first weekend in Feb” release, isn’t it likely you were still dumped? This is not getting good reviews (check the thread, mediocre to bad).

Ghost Stories (2018.04.20, theater) - This horror anthology slipped under my radar. It’s getting good reviews and also features Martin Freeman in one segment, so I guess this is the year of “Martin Freeman doing horror”. Woo.

Halloween (2018.10.19, theater) - we talked about this in a thread, can’t recall where. Curtis returns as Laurie Strode, so we think this is a continuation? Which makes no sense given H20. Oh, apparently this is a direct sequel to the first movie. David Gordon Green to direct, Carpenter will do the score. Judy Greer will also feature. I will never give up H20. NEVER.

The Return of the Killer Klowns from Outer Space in 3D (2018.9.28, ) - I wrote down this note: Grant Cramer will reprise his role as Mike Tobacco. Then I went and looked up who tthis was, and it turns out it’s not the Sheriff guy. So it’s the other dude, I presume. Also, I don’t know if I agree with the original being a cult classic.

Hellfest (2018.10.12, theatrical ) - Get Out editor and Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension director Gregory Plotkin to helm, which I think means “eh who cares”. But it’s set at Halloween in a theme park.

Hellraiser: Judgement (2018.2.13, DVD) - I wrote this one down because I spefically read it was “coming to DVD”. I’m sure it will get VOD too, but I then I giggled a lot at the image of something getting an actual “straight to DVD” release in the VOD era. One can hope.

Hereditary (2018) - Toni Collete and Gabrielle Byrne play the parents of a family who are investigating their mysterious past after the passing of the family matriarch and possibly the inheriting of her house? Looks interesting, it’s 15-0 on RT right now. I think it must be available VOD somewhere but unsure.

Jacob’s Ladder (2018) - remake of the out of left field 1990 film. Here’s an example of what I’m talking about. I can understand remaking this - it’s been 37+ years unlike the 6 or whatever for Nightmare - and it was a prettydifferent movie (although the central concept of “is it real or not” isn’t especially unique) at the times, and was something of a cross-over horror hit. So maybe this will be worthwhile. On the other hand, if you want a movie with some similarities to the original that is just outstanding, go watch They Look Like People instead. And then if this comes out and is worthwhile, super.

Insidious: The Last Key (2018.1.5, ) - Get Out editor and Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension director Gregory Plotkin to helm.

Lights Out 2 (2018, ) - I’m not sure about this one making 2018. IMDB just says “in development”.

Little Shop of Horrors (2018) - another in development.

The Lodger (2018?) - Twins (paternal) in a haunted house out in the Irish, uh, do they have Moores in Ireland? Well it’s Irish countryside of some sort. Argus Filch contributes.

Mohawk (2018 TDB, VOD) - -From the director of We Are Still Here, “historical action/horror”. Got some buzz at Fantasia International Film Festival. Is historical horror a thing? What would the first historical horror movie be? I go back to Eyes of Fire, which I recall being cheesy.

Mom and Dad (2018.1.19, VOD, Best Thing You’ll See All Week) - this is totally coming out this year! Horror comedy where the tarents mysteriously and violently turn on their kids, withNicholas Cage and Selma Blair as the parents. Unhinged Nic Cage could be fun. It’s got some early buzz (17/4 RT).

Overlord (2018.10.26, ) - Two paratroopers shot down over Normandy uncover a sinister Nazi Experiment. Features Ian De Caenstecker (Agents of Shields) and the QB bro from 22 Jump Street.

Patient Zero (2018 TBD, )I got conflicting info on this- that it had already come out last year, that it had been pushed to this year. Features Dr Who, Margery Tyrell, Samwell Tarley, and Stanley Tucci. The twist is that instead of the usual zombies or infected, everyone (well almost everyone) is turned into highly intelligent killers.

Predator (2018) - Shane Black (who wrote and starred in the original) writes and directs latest installment of this franchise, set between the second movie and Predators. A terrific cast featuring Olivia Munn, Yvonne Strahovski, Keegan-Michael Key, Thomas Jane, Alfie Allen, Jake Busey, Sterling K Brown, Eddie Olmos, and Boyd Holbrook will be joined by what has now become known as the “stock Shane Black kid character”. According to a rando video I just watched on Youtube this film features a group of predators who don’t believe in taking over earth by eradicating it’s human population. This is the first I’ve ever heard of that being a plot point in a Predator movie so I’m going to assume the video creator was drunk.

Pumpkinhead (2018, who cares) - about a week ago I woke up and thought to myself “man I hope they remake pumpkinhead”. Then I thought “lol j/k”. I mean the original is decent, but I think you’re better off taking the central ideas and making a new movie.

Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich (2018.12.26, ) - Can’t believe we went this long without a Puppet Master movie, given that we’ve already gone through a steady diet of remakes and spinoffs. This is one of those that if done “right”, you’d wind up with something a little bit different and worthwhile and maybe a lot of fun.

Pyewacket - troubled teen hanging with the occult crowd gets serious about the occult and disobeys a key law of magic: do not call up that which you cannot put down.

The Ritual (2018.02.09, Netflix) - based on the 2011 novel by Adam Neville. Not in any way connected to 2009’s The Ritual. Or the 2013 film “Ritual”.

They Remain (streaming now) - based on a Laird Barron short story, it’s a slow burn featuring two scientists who are sent on a mission to “investigate strange occurrences on land once owned by a thrill kill cult”. Thread reviews are mixed to sfar.

Slaughterhouse Rulez (2018.9.7 (uk), ) “An illustrious British boarding school becomes a bloody battleground when a mysterious sinkhole appears at a nearby fracking site unleashing unspeakable horror.” Horror Comedy featuring Pegg, Frost, Ender, Michael Sheen, and apparently the gal who piloted in the A-Wing in TFA.

Slenderman (2018.5.18, who cares) - lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol. You think I am typing “ell oh ell” but in stead it’s the head and raised arms of SLENDERMAN. lol. Or maybe this is an amazing Lovecraftian tale of cosmic horror where the ugly truth is that some movies are best left unmade.

Strangers: Prey at Night (2018.3.9, theaterical I think) - Christina Hendricks and yeah I don’t know any of these other people set to star in the sequel to forever ago’s Strangers. I read Liv tyler was supposed to return for this but I’m not sure this is the case. Also read this was delayed a year.

Summer of the Piranha (2018, ) - now seeing this is in development so who knows.

Suspira (2018, who cares) - Chloe Grace Moretz, Dakota Johnson, Tilda Swinton, and also Mia Goth are still set to star in this remake that seems like a bad idea.

*The Blair Witch Legacy (2018.3.1, theatrical I assume) - ok I am not making this up. Fuck it I’ll just copy from IMDB: “In 1999 a single movie changed the course of the horror genre forever. The Blair Witch Project was a brilliant hoax -or was it? A documentary film team heads to Burkittsville, Maryland to find out the truth behind the Blair Witch Project.”

“Bro, so Meta” or Blair Witch 2 remake? You decide. And where does 2016’s Blair Witch fit? Zomg the world building.

The First Omen (2018, never shown to anyone but the studio heads if we’re lucky) - A movie detailing events before Damien Thorn is born. You know what? I’ll spoil it for you:

Devil Worshipper #1: " So bored. Is Damien born yet?"
Devil Worshipper #2: “. . . no” sighs heavily
1: “Hey lets sacrifice some animals for funsies and then get an orgy going.”
2: “another orgy. Must we?”
1: “I am willing to listen to any better ideas you have.”
2: “Existence is torming, but not the sweet torment of our Dark Lord .The torment of oh god please just let the Antichrist get born already.”
1: “So it’s like trying to sleep on Christmas even?”
2: " . . ."

The House That Jack Built (2018, theatrical) - It’s a Lars Von Trier movie and it’s supposed to be horror I feel liked any details I provide will be wholly inadequate, no matter the final product. But it features Matt Damon and 12 years in the life of a serial killer.

The Invisible Man (2018 TBD, theatrical) - Johny Depp to star although I wonder if we get it this year (no director yet). Also, was this dependant on the Dark Universe not going to shit with The Mummy?

The Little Stranger (2018.8.31, theatrical) - From Lenny Abrahamson (Director Room). A country doctor (Gran Moff Hux. . . or is Gran Moff a strictly Empire title and we’re not doing that now? who cares) goes to a family to treat someone for something (Ruth Wilson, Will Poulter, Charlotte Rampling) and bumps into mystery, and horror, and stuff.

The Meg (2018.08.10, ) - finally. A movie about Megalodon featuring on SyFy. Just what the world has been waiting for, a movie about a Megalodon not set on SyFy. Based on the novel from that dude that kicked off the Megalodon craze. Featuring Jason Statham, Robert Taylor, Rainn Wilson, Ruby Rose, Masi Oka, Cliff Curtis, BinbBing Li for that sweet Chinese funding, the terrific Ólafur Darri Ólafsson, and directed by John Turtletaub. There’s no way this is not a hit. j/k!

The New Mutants (2018.4.13, theatrical) - heroes meet horror in this likely-to-fail but please be good movie. Anna Taylor-Joy, Charlie Heaton, Alice Bragga, and A Girl. Please be good.

The Nun (2018.07.13, theatrical) - Taissa Farmiga stars in a tale explaing the origins (I think) of The creepy nun from uh. . . Conjuring 2? I think that’s the one.

The Silence (post production, not counting on it coming out this year ) John Leonetti to direct. Kiernan Shipka, Stanley tucci, Mirando Otto, and John Corbett to star. Deaf girl (Tucci) with heightened senses is probgably the key to this tale about a New Jersey town attacked by a colony of bats that was itself attacked by some parasitic insect that turned the bats into, “Vesps”. So why does IMDB sayit’s about a colony of bats attacking a town? It’s a colony of Vesps. Whatever that is. I can see this one getting shelved, or pushed back, or VOD’d.

The Wolf Man (2018.4.13 - lol right) A rando website said this: “Still on the schedule for a 2018 release despite no confirmed director or stars.” and clearly forgot to add “And also the fact that The Mummy bombed and the Dark Universe looks like a no go”. So, yeah, don’t hold your breath.

Tremors: A Cold Day in Hell (2018.5.1, VOD) - they’re still making Tremors movies. This one stars Jamie Kennedy. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Truth or Dare (2018.4.27, theatrical I think) Teen heartthrobs who aren’t actually teens from various beloved by some teen drama shows (Pretty Little Liars, Teen Wolf, The Flash) play a game of Truth or Dare that shockingly takes a benevolent turn. Rather than devolving into the usual morass of teen angst where people betray secrets and friends, or attempt to manipulate people that are supposed to be friends, everyone hands out mild dares and they all go home happy. Hahaha, no, the game turns deadly for some reason. But mine would have been a better story.

Unsane (2018.3.23, theatrical) Steven Soderbergh is making a horror movie. That’s new. Uh, Claire Foy, Juno Temple, Aimee Mullins, Amy Irving to star.

Venom (2018.10.5, but I’m not so sure about this) - it has a director (Ruben Fleischer) and stars (Tom Hardy, Michelle Williams, Woody Harrelson) and an existing property (this is the Spiderman Villain/Anti-hero Venom). And it’s supposed to be a supers/horror/sci-fi blend and not connected to the Marvelverse. OTOH I might argue that Venom sucks. But there are people who would see it, no doubt.

Winchester: The House that Ghosts Build (2018.2.2, theatrical) - Mirren, Sarah Snook, and Jason Clarke to star in this movie about the the real life Winchester House, which worth reading about. My favorite story about the Winchester House is “The Sound of Hammers” from Moore’s run on Swamp Thing.

The Endless (Arpil 2018) - two brothers return to a cult they fled from years ago and find lots of crazy. Looks intriguing, and as @Soren_Hoglund notes it’s getting good festival buzz.

Upgrade (out) - after people kill his wife and leave him crippled, Logan Marshall Green gets some legit upgrades and seeks revenge. Sci- Fi horror.

Pumpkinhead remake? Killer Klowns remake?

Noooooooooooo!

This feels like a significant change from the past few years, which were more new stuff/sequels/the occasional remake. But it’s a natural extension of how things have been going I think. Blumhouse is going full Blumhouse, which is both good and bad and the bad is getting things like another Insidious movie (which I initially wrote down as coming out on 1/1; I was sure that was a mistake but had a good laugh at the idea that execs watched it and were like “dump it, dump it now, do it as soon as humanly fucking possible WHY HAVENT YOU DUMPED IT YET. " “Ok we’ll release it next week”. " No, we said 2018 and we have to stand by that. This isn’t Nam, there are rules”). They’re going to ride their franchises. I know, they know it, you know it. And the Spinoff thing is getting popular, which is another way to ride a franchise and get a new one. So we’ll get more of that.

But it still feels markedly different than the late, Pre-Blair Witch 90s when it was mostly just “if I even hear about one more teen slasher I am gonna throw myself off of a bridge”. There’s still a lot of interesting stuff going on. A Quiet Place might fail spectacularly but the actors and idea are interesting enough that I’m paying attention. And the more important aspect is that movies like A Quiet Place get made. I want to be able to look back on the year nad have at least 5 gems to reflect on. Not necessarily “greats” or even “this might go into my top 20 post Blair Witch horror movie list, if such a list existed” (it does not, because I don’t play by your rules). Because I think between In the Mouth of Madness and Blair Witch Project we didn’t even get 5 gems, and things had really basically gone dry before Mouth anyway.

I left out a bunch of movies that I had too little information on or seemedunlikely to come out based on my own internal calculus (which is mostly just guessing). I’m pretty sure there are a few more spinoff sequels out there I just lacked the energy to catalog.

Oh shit I forgot Jacob’s Ladder.

See I can totally see a Pumpkinhead remake except I don’t think the monster was that iconic (it was ok). But the themes and ideas in the movie, and the gothic(ish) horror setting, are certainly worth using again. Just make a new movie and then put in call outs to Pumpkinhead. Everyone wins.

OTOH, one thing the original Killer Klowns has a definitive 80s feel. And it knows it’s cheesy and is ok with it. It’s hard to imagine the latter being captured in the sequel (not a remake, or at least I think it’s supposed to be a sequel or ancestor at this point). And it benefits from being a movie that’s so identifiably from an era. That’s kind of hard to work with in a followup that’s coming like 3 horror eras later.

Aw man, I thought Pumpkinhead was a great monster, a really creepy design and an interesting concept. Helped that it had Lance Henriksen to work against, who I doubt is back for this, but I would probably watch a remake.

Get Michael Shannon in there and I could see something decent being made.

The good news is that no one will have to see this garbage until April.

Between the, looooool, smiles and THE GAME DECIDES, this looks like double poop. Throw in a dash of It follows because we had no good ideas. I can’t believe this isn’t getting dumped. It appears bad in a way my wildest imagination never could have conjured up.

This probably won’t be that good, but it’s better looking than that terrible Truth or Dare movie.

Just read a review for this earlier today, got a good rating.

I bet it beats the Nightmare remake remake too. Which, uh, isn’t exactly helping to raise the Truth or Dare bar.

I’m strongly considering Truth or Dare as early front runner for worst horror movie of the year.

Also, what do we have to do again to make Tom go see Truth or Dare? Because we’re totally doing that right?

So it’s a cross between It Follows and those Aphex Twin videos from the 90s.

Eh. I’ll probably end up seeing it.

At least there is no “Get Out Further” or “It Comes Later at Night” in the offing.

EDIT: Or Babadeuce. Probably not worth the edit, but I couldn’t NOT once it popped into my little brain.

That’s a lot of remakes/reboots.

I forgot to put Predator in there, although I doubt it will really qualify as horror (of course I say that as someone who saw the original in a theater; it might work as a horror movie for a new generation). Also, apparently Halloween will be a direct sequel to the original movie.

Also, I was going to add the Day of the Dead remake but then I was like “. . . eh, maybe later” and didn’t.

Yeah, there’s no obvious route to a sequel there :)

But if they did another, completely unrelated movie with the same cast, writers and director, I’d wait in line to see it. I thought Get Out was great!

The studio could always move ahead on a sequel with none of the cast or director involved.

The girl survived, but had extensive plastic surgery, thereby allowing a different actor. She moves her family business to another community, but this time branching out to other ethnicities. Bam! Hijinks and clumsy (and tone-deaf offensive) social commentary ensue thanks to the production being done on the cheap in Bulgaria.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly.

Here’s the trailer.