2020 Frame Game - Come Join the Fun This Year!

Yeah, it does look like Elemental. In which case I’ll guess Elemental: Fallen Enchantress!

Actually, I’ll guess Sorcerer King!

Guild Wars 2

Hades?

They Are Billions?

Divine Divinity?

Well, if I had a better way to carve up screenshots, I would delight in pushing it another round until you guys drilled down to Fallen Enchantress without second guessing yourselves. But it’s an image from Fallen Enchantress, so I think the win should go to @kerzain for identifying the engine and basic game?

Here’s the full screenshot:

-Tom

I think so, yes.

For the reference of anyone having this issue, I use paint.net, click to add a layer in the lower right, draw a filled black box over the whole image, and then can just delete cut-outs from that. Once you know how to do it it’s a quick, easy way to generate frames. If anyone needs a hand with that process I’d be happy to help or answer questions.

And yeah, I’d agree that @kerzain is up.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I will have something up within the next couple hours.

One of my favorite box quotes for the game:

“The original demo perplexed a lot of people because it only gave the merest hint of guidance. Frankly I loved it - definitely a blast from the past in terms of assuming your audience isn’t comprised of complete morons (and if they are, they probably shouldn’t be playing the game anyway). Though I’ll admit the tutorial could have done with a bit of work!”

Darwinia

One shot. One kill!

trp

This was my first Steam game. I don’t even remember how I heard about the game, some random review somewhere I’m sure.

Oh and this box quote can be attributed to @krayzkrok

Link.

Might’ve taken me longer but that skybox haunts my dreams.

Let me see what I can rustle up.

It’s funny you should say that, I focused on the skybox first trying to throw in at least a modicum of doubt into guesses. Little did I consider PTSD.

“The cat lazily observes your efforts to divine the origin of the pixels with an expression of quiet disdain.”

(couldn’t see a rule saying the obfuscating parts had to be boring black rectangles)

No, it’s perfect!

I initially saw that I had won while I was still in bed, so I didn’t peck out a proper reply. I did have trouble trying to decide between the different Elemental games (E:WoM, E:FE, and Sorcerer King), because their look is so similar. I recognized the engine and unique art style immediately, because I’ve always been fond of it and it stands out for me. And even though I couldn’t place a specific unit or terrain tile, I just figured I’d start at the beginning and move forward if need be.

Although I put a ton of time (way more than I should have, but I was trying to extract value from money spent) into Elemental, and much later a few dozen hours into Sorcerer King, I never did play the game/series as it was meant to be played–in the various iterations of Fallen Enchantress. I do own the FE titles, but by the time I had my hands on them I was neck deep in CiV V and later Age of Wonders 3. I’ve been meaning to go back and give it a shot. But now I’m Planetfalling my eyes out, so…

The cat hides the fact that this might just be… Monkey Island?

No monkeys here.

“You recall your military upbringing, and that this cat is your sworn enemy! Air support may be an option if things get out of hand.”

I don’t think I’ve ever played anything like that. From the Attack and Defend commands, it implies turn-based.