2022 Quarterlies! Vote for Qt3's Best Game of 2022: "What guy? Bozo did it. That's Bozo's voice."

Obviously we have a lot of Qt3ers missing the funnest, funniest game of 2022. [Edit: Removed my High on Life vote due to the Roiland controversy. Sad for the folks at Squanch who made a great game, but not appropriate for an award until the accusations are resolved.]

1. IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Normandy
  2. Vampire Survivors
  3. Marvel’s Midnight Suns
  4. Stray

Going to keep thinking about this but so far I’ve got:

1. Elden Ring - no explanation needed I hope. An amazing game whose open world was the hook that got me to purchase and play my first Souls-like game.
  2. Vampire Survivors - addictingly awesome, incredible playtime for a 5 buck game
  3. Power Wash Simulator - very chill and zen and amazingly satisfying for a game where you’re simply washing dirt off of stuff.
  4. Lost Ark - I love MMOs and exploring new worlds. This one sucked me in hard for a while but after it spit me out I was able to see the treadmill, so I’m done!
  5. Ixion - I felt like this was an interesting take on a city builder. Interesting storyline.

I need to pick that one up, but this is the perennial problem for me with the Quarterlies. I’ll know what my favorite game of 2022 was sometime around 2025. About the only thing I can guarantee is it won’t be Elden Ring.

Not true! You can vote for anything you want!

j/k I get it, you can only evaluate stuff which you have personally experienced, thus other stuff that was released but you haven’t experienced will be omitted.

Except on Boardgamegeek, where unreleased games get 10/10 for sounding cool!

Exactly. Me? I’m voting for Red Alert.

1. Elden Ring
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  3. Dying Light 2
  4. Elex 2
  5. Monster Hunter Rise

Ah, that’s annoying, but the 1.0 was such a stealth launch and the 2.0 in October corresponded to the game getting a lot more attention than before… Practically a launch, even if technically just an update. I say let it count!

Lemme just say out loud how this is gonna work. Just to be straight-up, as we used to say in the 'Nineties. Or maybe it was the 'Eighties. If you vote for some game that gets three votes, chances are that I’m not going to ensure that it qualifies, because I’m going to write it on an 8 1/2" x 14" legal pad and likely won’t come back to it until I verify that it is in 144th place. For example: Elden Ring, no one has played it or even heard of it, the company that released it couldn’t be bothered to correct the typo in the title, no one cares. But if the game starts getting a decent number of votes, I’m going to check and make sure it’s not because one of these Russian troll farms is trying to get an ineligible game to win this prestigious award. So you guys have some leeway, but I wouldn’t try and use it to take advantage, cuz that ain’t lowkey bussin, no cap.

This felt like a quiet year for games until November and December rolled around, and then it felt like a deluge. At least in the indie space. Were there any big epic AAA releases I missed??

My top three are rearranging every time I consider them, but here’s a snapshot:

1. Pentiment (PC)
    “The past is a foreign country,” and when it comes to one 16th century Bavarian town, Pentiment is your obsessively meticulous tour guide. It’s my favorite game of the year because it is obsessed with many of the things I am: The development of culture, the role of religion in people’s lives, the nature of being an artist. (Not to mention other fascinating topics like handwriting, food, and the history of the Holy Roman Empire.)

2. Strange Horticulture (PC)
    You’re running a plant shop, but this isn’t a management game. It’s actually a deduction game: Use a sketch, a written description, and your own observations to determine the species of 70-some plants. But that’s only half the game. The other half is using stories, clues, and riddles to track down special spots on a map (usually spots where rare new plants can be found). Along the way, the game evocatively draws out the macabre contours of soggy, supernatural England.

3. I Was A Teenage Exocolonist (PC)
    This was an lovely surprise. I thought it was going to be an intense survival experience or something–and it can be intense–but it’s really an open-ended, extremely nuanced career simulator wrapped in an intricate story about settling an alien world. The game loop just pulled me along, and let me shape my character how I wanted to over 10 formative years. And then it gave me a strong reason to start all over again.

4. Butterfly Soup 2 (PC)
    The most perfectly executed game I played this year (helped by the fact that it’s a visual novel), Butterfly Soup 2 carries on the comic high school adventures of four queer Asian-American girls by showing more of their home lives, new relationships, and just as much totally true-to-life goofing around as the first installment.

5. TUNIC (PC)
    I tolerated–and eventually mastered–the combat in order to continue discovering the rich mysteries woven into this game’s world. Does TUNIC recreate the secrets of classic video games of the 80s and 90s? No, actually, it invents a totally new approach to puzzles (pioneered by Fez, I suppose) that recreates how those secrets felt to us.

The rest of my top 10:

1. Citizen Sleeper (PC)
  2. The Case of the Golden Idol (PC)
  3. Wylde Flowers (iOS)
  4. Rush for the Ages (PC)
  5. Beyond the Chiron Gate (iOS)

Honorable mentions:

• Vampire Survivors
  • Betrayal at Club Low
  • Stacklands
  • Paragon Pioneers
  • Tinykin
  • The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow
  • We Are OFK
  • Chained Echoes (could have charted, but I haven’t played enough yet)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge

Games I wish I’d had a chance to play:

• Dwarf Fortress: Steam Edition
  • Marvel’s Midnight Suns

Here are my picks:

1. Vampire Survivors - If you had told me in the beginning of 2022, that my favorite game of the year would be a $5 bullet-hell-ish game that looks like it came from Newgrounds, I would’ve said you were nuts, but here I am.
  2. The One Ring Roleplaying Game Second Edition - Tabletop roleplaying from Free League set in the genteel world of Tolkien’s fantasy saga. Despite my aversion to custom dice, the mechanics convey the simpler and more grounded adventure of being hobbits or men of Eriador not quite yet ready to face down dark wizards or city-leveling dragons. Gorgeous art to boot!
  3. Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands - The moment-to-moment movement and shooting in Borderlands 3 was never the problem, and this game proves my theory. The shooting is superb, the writing and VO is good, and the change to spells from grenades works well. A banger, as the kids say.
  4. Dwarf Fortress: Steam Edition - Even with official graphics, the game remains an obtuse, unfriendly, and often inscrutable but fascinating story generator. The final form of SimLife.
  5. Pentiment - Another game I didn’t see coming at the beginning of the year. A fine release from Obsidian proving they don’t have to just make gigantic big budget RPGs.

Right? It had me wondering what I was doing spending the money I did during the sales, when this $5 ate up over 40 hours of December.

tiny tina voice (whispering? not sure what she is doing there :)) - “Gearbox”

I finally started playing again this weekend after not touching it for years, and saw ~20 hours disappear. I think the graphics made the other bits more bearable as I continue to learn and re-learn things.

Pentiment is on the gamepass play later list. Hopefully it will get played soon.

1. Vampire Survivors
  2. Immortality
  3. Nobody Saves The World
  4. Potion Craft
  5. Stray

Tunic makes it by virtue of being the fifth game I played a substantial enough amount of but didn’t really love. I’m just starting Pentiment. Hopefully I get to come back before time runs out and put it in there somewhere and knock out Tunic.

Edit: Shit fire, Immortality was 2022. That’ll knock out Tunic quite nicely!

1. Dwarf Fortress: Steam Edition
  2. Vampire Survivors
  3. Immortality
  4. World of Warcraft: Dragonlands
  5. Power Wash Simulator
  1. Horizon: Forbidden West - In a lot of ways I think this is a much more successful follow up to the first game than Ragnarok is to GoW 2018. It’s bigger, more expansive, filled with great characters, locations and, fun ideas. It looks absolutely incredible and plays even better than the original. Just a highlight of the year for me.
  2. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - Delightfully weird, visually janky, a deep job system rabbit hole, a story that shockingly manages to justify all the bizarre storytelling, and Sinatra to cap it all off. Criminally underrated by people who didn’t stick around long enough to actually discover what the game was doing.
  3. Gran Turismo 7 - The controversies never mattered to me. Just running through the Cafe menus made GT7 an excellent single player game. People may have missed to more traditional career approach, but what they did in this game was a brilliant way to make sure you sampled as much of what they game offers as possible.
  4. God of War: Ragnarök - I feel the way about this game as I do about the LOTRs movie sequels. 2018 was such a revelation, with an incredibly well executed, focused story to tell. The follow up can’t help but compare less favorably to that by sheer volume and excess and a lack of Jeremy Davies. Still an excellent game with a really satisfying conclusion.
  5. Vampire Survivors - Game is just sweet.

As usual, I did not play enough games to make up a full list. In fact, had I not bought Expeditions Rome on the last day of the most recent Steam Sale, my list would have been limited to two. As it is, my list is

1. Expeditions: Rome. Do I seriously put this first, above Elden Ring? Yes, I think I will. Maybe it’s because it is so much better then Expeditions: Vikings (which I wanted to love but just could not get into, although I might give that another shot after finishing Rome), maybe it’s because it’s my favourite historical period (I studied Roman Archaeology), maybe it’s just because I am playing it now, whereas playing Elden Ring was a long time back. And who knows: maybe I’ll change my mind before the deadline. But for now, I’ll put this on 1.
  2. Elden Ring. Great game, obviously, and the first Dark Souls-like game I could actually play. However, the crazy scaling of (even standard) enemies about halfway through, which meant that even with top lvl and top gear I still get killed in two hits, ruined it a bit for me. Perhaps some day I will actually git gud…
  3. Vampire Survivors. Better than it has any logical right to be.
  1. strong textElden Ringstrong text

Okay, I suck trying to do stuff on my phone. :)

<chef’s kiss> I love the breezy elucidation of such a perfectly pitched view of grace and order. Fair warning: I might be swooning.

1. Elden Ring
  2. Vampire Survivors
  3. Dune: Imperium – Rise of Ix
  4. Wonderland’s War

not many 2022 games, I played older stuff.

1. SIGNALIS
  2. Kaiju Wars
  3. Butterfly Soup 2
  4. Vampire Survivors
  5. Entropy: Zero 2

Edit: Swapped Recursive Ruin with Vampire Survivors because I’m an idiot.

1. Elden Ring : I’m “only” 30 hours in, but so many “whoah” moments.
  2. 13 Sentinels : a bit of a mess of a story, but the game got me back into reading Japanese fiction.
  3. Slice & Dice : because 2021 was rigged.
  4. Nobody Saves the World : I thought this was a 2021 game, but it was released on January 18th! It’s an action RPG game, a genre I dislike, but the name of the game is to break it in every way, by making the most ridiculous mixes of class skills, with a constant progression that rewards you for experimenting. If Vampire Survivors is crack, this might be the Holodeck or whatever.
  5. Tinykin 's demo: would probably make the full game at the top spot if I wasn’t so cheap!) I downloaded the demo only to check how it ran on the Switch, and it ended up being one of my favourite experiences of the year. I’d compare it to an action game picross level of plenitude and fullfilling.

I tried to keep it to genuine 2022 releases, but 13 Sentinels ended up changing the perspective of my whole gaming approach for the rest of the year, so I included it.

I didn’t have time to play Astlibra, Treasures of the Aegean, Jack Move, Persona 5 or Witch in the Holy Night yet, all of which would probably end up kicking the above games out my little list. Aw :(

1. Tactics Ogre: Reborn Not sure if this qualifies as a game or an addiction. Fascinating gameplay with a great story and even better tactical battles. Hours and hours of interesting decisions to make, and enough tension to make it feel like those decisions matter.

The game documentation is rather murky – something I usually loathe. But here it works, at least for me. There are two levels of muddy lore. One involves the game itself, the nations and families and tools at your disposal. The other involves intense community lore about the game, theories and opinions as to what works and why it works. Taken together, the lack of clarity has ended up being a positive for me, as I play the naive Denam figuring out the ever widening world, piece by piece.

In a strange way, this game works for me much as Caster of Magic does. Both update games that allowed experienced players to become god-like by midgame. Which, for me, makes the second half of a game feel like a tedious chore of mopping up. Reborn – like Caster – transforms the experience such that you have ways to become overpowered, but only temporarily. Then a new enemy shows up with a counter to your godly powers, and you need to develop a new super strategy. I would not want to take the comparison too far, these games come from different genres, but each succeeds in maintaining tension into the late game in a similar way.

Map design is superior, too. But I have to admit that the camera view of the map is the game’s Achilles heel. Still, one of my favorite games ever.

A huge gap to #2

1. Nerdle Wordle was good, but we tired of it after a few weeks. Nerdle and coffee remain the way each day is supposed to begin.

2. Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga Half of a great game. (The first half. After that, it’s a mop up operation.)

3. Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia High tension battles marred by a high click interface.

4. Victoria 3 Not sure if this qualifies as a game or a simulation. But even if a simulation, it is thought provoking.