2022 Quarterlies! Vote for Qt3's Best Game of 2022: "What guy? Bozo did it. That's Bozo's voice."

1. Elden Ring
  2. Midnight Suns
  3. Marvel Snap
  4. Citizen Sleeper
  5. Total Warhammer 3

Not a 2022 game but I finally got around to playing Psychonauts 2 this year - what an amazing game! I thought I was over platformers but the writing and creativity of this game really won me over.

1. Immortality - Abandon yourself to the semi-random discovery process, and be rewarded with some truly excellent performances while you play detective.
  2. Advent of Code 2022 - The first year I’d tried this out, and had a great time with it. A web game that presents 49 puzzles over the Advent period, which you realistically cannot solve without writing some code in whatever language you like. They start off fairly simple, and eventually get to things like finding the shortest path through a huge maze where the walls move every turn.
  3. Tinykin - Light, fun, and generous, the platforming / exploration / puzzle solving is a delight, all without any combat.
  4. The Case of the Golden Idol - The best detect-em-up since Obra Dinn.
  5. ElecHead - A very clever puzzle platformer which wrings out a huge variety of puzzles from its simple premise.

Honourable mentions:

1. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  2. Waffle
  3. Return to Monkey Island
  4. Last Call BBS
  5. Lunistice

Many thanks to @Brooski for organizing this, it’s a great way to find games I’ve missed over the last year.

1. Elden Ring
  2. Marvel’s Midnight Suns

Coming back to edit later (and maybe change some things around), but here’s my list:

1. Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
  2. Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream
  3. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins
  4. Marvel’s Midnight Suns
  5. Elden Ring
  1. Elden Ring
  2. Marvel’s Midnight Suns
  3. Victoria 3
  1. Spider-Man Remastered
  2. Vampire Survivors
  3. Rogue Legacy 2
  4. Marvel Snap
  5. Stacklands

I’m not a Souls fan and Midnight Suns is on my birthday list for next month.

I just realized Marvel Snap and Suns were different games :0

1. Marvel Snap
  2. Marvel: Midnight Suns
  3. COD: MWII
  4. Elden Ring
  5. Dwarf Fortress: Steam

I had to check but Pathfinder: WotR was out in 21 unless you count the Xbox version which I think came out earlier this year. If it were allowed it’d be number 2 or 3 in my list.

Honestly, I did not like as many games this year as I expected, though my #1 was a pleasant surprise and my #2 was everything I had hoped and more.

1. Vampire Survivors - Castlevania meets SHMUP. Not sure if a game this busy can be called elegant, but that certainly applies to the game design if not the presentation. Despite its simplicity—all you do is move—it has a surprising amount of depth and in no time you’re discovering weapon evolutions and synergies. In terms of money-to-enjoyment ratio, it might have a legit claim as the GOAT.

2. Persona 5: Royal - I spent considerably more time with Persona 5 than my #1 choice and might ultimately prefer it, but I think the #1 spot should go to a game of the current year, not something five years old. Still, I love this game. It throws just enough variety at you to keep any part of it from getting stale—social simulator, dungeon crawler, exploring its version of Tokyo (surprisingly good even if I think games still haven’t quite figured out how to ‘do’ cities)—all done with winning panache. Indeed, it is still probably the best looking game of the year, despite its age.

3. Worldle - Suck it, word nerds! The map-based take on the Wordle formula reigns supreme.

4. Alfonzo’s Bowling Challenge - Short and sweet indie game I learned about from a post on these very forums. Hang out with your dirtbag uncle and bowl for a while. To say it goes places is an understatement, but in the end it’s all about the pins. Check it out here.

5. Pentiment - I’m wrapping this up now and I have some thoughts about it I have not quite worked all the way through yet. It is impressive and frustrating in equal parts, but I love that it exists.

I will give a shoutout to Dwarf Fortress for finally getting a proper release. It is still probably a masterpiece, but not one I have played in many years. I meant to give Chained Echoes a go, but I was all JRPGed out after Persona 5. Likewise, Midnight Suns seems nifty, but I have been let down to varying degrees by all the SRPGs I have played this year, so I am waiting for a sale.

I was going to ask about this yesterday but I never thought of it while I was at my computer, so thanks @Nightgaunt for pinging @Brooski, and Brooski for taking the time to manually count the votes, that’s quite the undertaking and it is much appreciated.

My votes are as follows.

1. Tactics Ogre Reborn I’ve played this game through at least three times but played it far enough to get to the final act four total times for sure and it continues to be one of my all time favorites. I flip-flop between this and Final Fantasy Tactics but with Reborn this is now my definitive, tippy top SRPG of all time. Of course, on Feb 2nd there is a big Final Fantasy Anniversary Show/Stream that is going to be announcing Final Fantasy Tactics and if they remaster/remake this it could well shot back on top again…
  2. Elden Ring Not much more to say here, I was entrenched and obsessed with this game for a full month after release, and I’m still even as I type this thinking it’s been long enough to jump back in.
  3. Chained Echos This came out of nowhere but was a damned delight. It made me feel like a college kid playing Final Fantasy III on the SNES again. What a cool freaking game, and it takes some real swings with the story that landed for me, to boot, while boasting a wonderful combat and character progression system. Incredible stuff.
  4. Persona 5 Royal (Switch) I’m super LTTP on this, but holy shit did it click for me - I loved this game and enjoyed all 100 (!) hours I got before I finally saw the credits. What a goddamned achievement, making me enjoy a game and it’s gameplay/story/characters for over 100 hours in a JRPG. Just wonderful.
  5. Marvel’s Midnight Suns This kind of surprised me as well, the game seemed neat and of course it’s the XCOM/2 guys so I knew it would be fun, but I was unprepared for how much I loved this game. Some may debate if they abby/non-combat section was good or annoying (I’m mostly on the “good” side, as evident that it made my top 5) but few would argue the combat wasn’t really a powerful motivator to put up with whatever else the game was trying to do - just an outstanding card battler/strategy hybrid and I for one am excited for more.

I ended up with 12 games of 2022 to pick from and it was kind of hard to pare it down to just 5, honestly. Warhammer 3 would under normal circumstances not just made the top 5 but probably the top 3, except there were so many great gaming experiences I had (that were also new and interesting), it’s hard to put a game I’ve technically been playing for six years up. But the beta for the Immortal Empires dropped in August and while being a “beta” was almost immediately what I had wanted, and it’s only gotten better from there. So, to shine a light on maybe some other games that deserve a glance and a look, here are my 6-12 spots!

1. Total War Warhammer 3 - As I mentioned, this is seriously a great strategy game - it looks and plays amazing and it’s already in “I don’t really like other RTS games now” territory.
  2. The Last of Us Part 1 (PS5) - I love The Last of Us and this was my third play through, but by far the prettiest - holy shit did they do a mind blowing job on this game. I played it back to back with Part 2 and the entire 70 or so hours of gameplay the two experiences provided were one of my favorite of all time.
  3. Vampire Survivors - I grabbed this on a whim in early access and loved it, so I’m glad to see it is doing really well. A great example of how a simple/cheap game can be super fun without feeling like a mobile cash grab, if nothing else. At this point just about everyone has tried it so there isn’t much to say, but if you still haven’t dropped $3 to play it (maybe thinking “this “bullet hell” stuff isn’t for me!”) then don’t think about it, just play it, it’s a freaking blast.
  4. Triangle Strategy - I was super excited for this and I was not let down, though I do wish it had more in the way of combat. The gameplay loop being strictly defined as “combat/explore/story” was a strange choice to me, but I appreciated what they put together here and thought combined with the visuals they did some really wonderful gameplay and incredible tactics to boot. Character progression was excellent, and the branching tale is something I’m eager to return to. In a land of great SRPGs this is for sure in my top 4 of all time (it lands just above Fell Seal in the third place for me, personally).
  5. Master of Magic Remake - Really tihis ended up being exactly what I hoped for, and I had a blast with it. Some have decried the idea that it didn’t push things far enough (see Tactics Ogre Reborn for an example of remade games done right, imo) but the developers have stated they are going to move in that direction now the base game is out and available, so we’ll see. For my part, I got a solid 40 hours of strategy fun playing this in the beta and a few runs at launch, and the only drawback to it is I miss the cute pixel art of the old game, though this looks fine.
  6. Citizen Sleeper - This was on a lot of GOTY lists I saw during the Steam sale so I grabbed it and started playing it one Saturday morning and finished it about 7 hours later on a Sunday - it was an incredible, fun experience, sort of like an interactive short story just drenched in world building. Very cool, and I’m looking forward to another play through to see more of it.
  7. Dwarf Fortress - I never got into this before the Steam version, and I didn’t play this very much even then, but what I did play I really enjoyed and can see myself getting lost in it. The difference between this, however, and the other games that didn’t make the list I’ve played but not (yet) beat, is this game really has no end, so that’s not (to me) a requirement.

Speaking of, honorable mentions must go to two games I’m actively playing that I’m absolutely loving but I haven’t completed yet (not even close in likely both games’ case) but would have definitately made the list if I’d been able to before creating it.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3
God of War Ragnarok

Okay, that’s where I’m at, at least until I remember something I forgot!

I really need to try out Slice and Dice, it’s right up my alley, but I keep forgetting about it since it’s not on Steam yet. Ack.

I only played two new releases in 2022, so my list is easy. Thankfully they were both quite good, too.

1. Distant Worlds 2 - I’m sure this will be controversial, given how awful 1.0 was for many due to performance issues on AMD systems. And plenty of mediocre QOL issues for most. But the game has improved enormously since then, and assuming base/DLC sales justify a (hopefully) very long development life, I think this game will be my 4x of the decade - like Distant Worlds Universe before. I’m especially excited for modding as development shifts in that direction.
  2. Urbek City Builder - it’s no SimCity 4, but it is the best city builder I’ve played since. Charming, challenging at times, satisfying to observe your results - highly recommended for genre fans.

I haven’t played some of the bigger names of 2022. I expect at some point - years from now - I may look back at this list and wish I’d been able to name Elden Ring, GoW Ragnarok, or other big releases. Instead, I’ll have to choose from the dozen or so games I played that actually released this year.

1. PowerWash Simulator - Ha ha, I actually played this throughout 2021 and 2022, when it was in Early Access. A steady stream of content meant I kept this thing installed and got to revisit it with every update. This was just an amazing game to relax to. I kind of liked waiting in between updates, because it meant I didn’t plow through all of the content immediately, since I had to wait between releases.

2. Vampire Survivors - I really, really had no idea how taken with this title I’d become. Folks talk about how it’s great in small bites because of the thirty minute time limit, but the sometimes agonizing choices you’re making for upgrades often means a run takes a lot longer than that (I kind of wish they enforced a time limit on your decisions). While I generally try to “complete” a lot of games, I often don’t 100% them because I just can’t be bothered with all the fiddly nonsense of collectibles and achievement hunting. I 100%'d this game. It took a while. I was kind of obsessed.

3. Weird West - I was kind of surprised at how this game came and went with few people talking about it (there was a thread here; it seemed short lived). It had a ton of style, a super great story, marvelous interactivity, and really fun systems to play with. It had some balancing issues, and it definitely was rough around the edges, but it was one of those awesome “If you like this genre, this game kills it” titles for me. This game understood how important tone is, and it nailed it in spades. I have no idea if it did well; I hope they get to sequel it and polish the framework they built here.

4. Hardspace: Shipbreaker - I know this one (like PowerWash) has been floating around in EA for years, but I didn’t play it until full release. Look - it has a lot of issues. The UI in between missions causes me physical pain, and the unskippable story elements in the Hab also make me want to hurt people. But when you’re in the yard, cutting apart ships and trying to figure out the best, fastest, safest way to dismantle a huge and dangerous ship, you’re kind of in this weird zen place where you fully engage with the game. The moments where your tethers and force push line up to pull like ten things into the recycler at once are awesome.

5. The Case of the Golden Idol - A lot of people compare this to Obra Dinn; I get that. I can’t say this was nearly as amazing as Obra Dinn, but it scratched that itch a little bit. I had fun with the deductions, and it was enjoyable to play a game where I could attack each chapter at lunch, and wrap it up within a week or so with small sessions. I feel like this is the kind of game where they could just keep dropping new chapters, and I’d gladly grab each and every one.

1. Elden Ring
  2. Nobody Saves the World
  3. Vampire Survivors
  4. Stray
  5. Ixion
  1. Vampire Survivors - (PC) - Yep.
  2. Immortality - (PC) - Please, please make more of these.
  3. Elden Ring - (PS5) - Yep.
  4. Marvel’s Midnight Suns - (PS5) - This one came out of left field. I love the XCOM games, but the depressing theme and dice rolls made them take a lot of effort to play. Swap in a wild friendship sim and Slay-the-Spire combat and this was a slam dunk.
  5. Weird West - (PS5) - Unexpectedly, the most memorable game of the year for me. Not that long, and a blast from beginning to end.

Runners Up:

• Kirby and the Forgotten Land - (Switch) - Didn’t play much of this myself, but watched my 6-year-old beat this thing into submission and I think it is probably better designed than anything on my list.
  • Gran Turismo 7 - (PS5) - I forgot this came out in 2022, since I got it late in the year, but it is great. It feels like driving feels.
  • Citizen Sleeper - (Switch) - Great writing, fascinating RPG mechanical pull.
  • Slice ‘n’ Dice - (PC) - No notes. Perfect game, but I need to dig into it more.
  • Shovel Knight: Dig - (Switch) - Fast-moving roguelite platformer with great controls, optimized for short runs.
  • Tunic (PS5) - Wins Best Outer Wilds of the Year, but the combat felt awful to me and I played most of the game with the infinite health accessibility option on. Which, to be clear, was still amazing.
  • Neon White (Switch) - Easily the best-feeling FPS movement and combat I’ve ever played, but the story was grating.
  • Netrunner: Borealis Cycle expansion - (Boardgame) - The first complete expansion designed after the release of the community-developed system gateway set has been a blast to explore.
  • Arkham Horror Card Game: Scarlet Keys expansion - (Boardgame) - The first “open world” globetrotting campaign for the game is incredibly varied and difficult. Very fun so far, but the increased rules complexity meant that I probably didn’t play a single scenario correctly on the first run.
  1. Elden Ring
  2. God of War: Ragnarok
  3. Horizon: Forbidden West
  4. Raft
  5. V Rising

I bought like 30 new games this year, but these are the ones with any real playtime. Elden Ring is Way ahead of the pack. my numbers should be 1,2,3,4 = ER, then 5 = HZD, etc…

Another year, and another year where I didn’t play a ton of 2022 releases. I spent most of 2022 playing Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous and WoW. I don’t have a PS5 so that’s a couple of AAA titles I would have played that I didn’t.

I don’t have strong feelings about any of the games on my list, but I feel like I should contribute for posterity.

1. World of Warcraft: Dragonflight - the best WoW since Legion! Probably.
  2. High on Life - funny is good.
  3. Warhammer 40,000: Darktide - fun, even though it’s lacking in a lot of features Vermintide had.
  4. Stray - It was either Stray or Elden Ring.
  5. Sniper Elite 5 - sniping Nazis through the skull never gets old!

Oh wow, I remember this! Thanks for the reminder, that was a fun little game.