2023 Video Game Frame Game - All Games and Frames Welcome!

Pug Lover

Ugh, I’ve definitely seen that somewhere, but it’s not a game I’ve played…

Unfortunately it’s not a game many people have played, I think.

It’s been played for at least a few minutes by at least one other person on the board, according to a search. And it was on at least one of those ‘Best games of 2022’ lists that websites love…

The final, full screen:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I saw it somewhere, but I can’t remember the game’s name or where to find that information… sorry ;)

Welp, I’ll take this as a loss: the game is Scarlet Hollow.

It appeared on Buried Treasure’s best of 2022 list, where John Walker wrote:

It blows my mind that I’m able to include Scarlet Hollow in here. You know, to get a little overly self-absorbed, it genuinely worries me that m’colleagues in this industry aren’t willing to listen and just give this astonishing game series the attention it so strongly merits. It’s in my top 2 games of this and last year, as it tells its creepy tale of smalltown weirdness in a way totally unique to how you behave, and perhaps 2023 will be the year it receives the breakout success it unquestioningly deserves.

It’s a great horror game (and as of episode 4, optionally a romance?), with meaningful decisions and branches (I’m told - I’ve only played through the available episodes once). Four out of the planned seven episodes are currently available, so you would be excused for waiting for them all, I guess.

New frame shortly!

That’s it. Thing is, I don’t play horror games. There are a few exceptions (Limbo comes to mind) but generally I just don’t. So I probably saw the game in that exact place but blotted it out of my mind because it’s supposed to be horror. :)

Well, it’s also an Early Access game which is a little bit dirty pool. :) There isn’t a rule against it, but I think at one time there was, which can make EA games a bit tricky.

Early Access games have been featured and correctly guessed here multiple times. I don’t think that was a real factor this time (I didn’t even know it was Early Access, and if I had an interest in horror games, chances are I’d have remembered it).

No doubt.

If it helps, it’s on the unsettling / creepy end of things rather than anything too full-on. At least so far.

Apologies! I just recently played it and loved it, and wanted to spread the word. But I should have been more mindful of it being EA.

Like I said, no worries - there isn’t a rule against it!

Next up, I feel like this might be pushing the rules a little bit as well, but hopefully in a fun way that will make it easier to guess…!

Oh been wanting to do that for so long! technically it so much work with my tools.

Not guessing, I want to enjoy more of those ^~^

I couldn’t see a thing on the desktop but on the phone I can see something!

I’d thought this too, but it wasn’t too bad in the end - I created the blackout masks as image layers in the usual way, saved them individually as .pngs, and then found an online tool which lets you add ‘watermarks’ to gifs to overlay the masks.

Next frame:

Is that Ultrabots?

Why can’t my graphical utility do this ;0

It isn’t, but while looking it up I was pleased to see a photo of the (crazy) box from Qt3’s very own box art thread high up in the google image search results.

E-zed-gif is your friend!

Next up - this part was really evocative for me (maybe the first time I saw such a thing in a game?):

PHM Pegasus? That appears to be a compass in the middle, and the minimap is rotating with it.