3030 Deathwar Redux: Best game of the decade?

So, wait, this is the best game of the decade? What is it?

Looks like there was an original 3030 Deathwar:

That’s the thread for that. So Redux must be a remake of it maybe? What makes it so good?

Note to Self: I did buy it earlier this year in a sale, so I should find out for myself.

Any advice for newcomers?

No idea what you are talking about, and the links in the original thread are either available domains or take you to Stardock’s main page? At least scrolling down as far as I was willing to. :)

EDIT:
Here is a more useful link:

3030 Deathwar is a unique mix of Adventure and Space Sim. Explore star systems, mine and hunt pirates in top-down mode. Leave your ship and switch into classic Adventuring mode, where you explore derelicts, talk to shady characters or head over to the space bar for a drink.

It’s getting pretty good reviews - looks like it came out a few years ago.

I know, right? But Brian was mentioning it as one of the best games of the decade if not THE best in the Best games of the decade thread. So I figure it’s a crime that possibly the best game of the decade doesn’t even have it’s own thread at Qt3. For shame!

Thanks for the link Scott. I’m lazy.

You are very restrictive: there are other genres beside space games. Brian got into your head!

Did you enjoy your time with 3030 Deathwar redux?

Quoting this here from a different thread so that I find it later. Sorry Brian! :)

It’s one of those very few games I can’t play and make me furious to not have a PC around anymore (it works in Wine, but not in gamepad mode, and I think the gamepad controls mixed with keyboard shortcuts are the best).
That one, and One Way Heroics.
(And Noita, yeah right, stop hijacking thread @Chappers)

huh? That looks bizarre.

It’s a pretty good game. But it’s not the best game of the decade or even the best space game of the decade for me at all.

Oh man, great game.

Yeah, for a space game, 3030 gets pretty much everything right. Ways to make money are fun and varied, getting from point A to B is never a slog, and is fun in its own right, the writing is great, the music is amaaaaaaaaaaazing, and there are so many ships to grind for and toys to play with.

Also there’s racing. And procedural wrecks to scavenge. And bounty hunting. And photography missions. And…

Well then cough it up, what IS the best space game for you?

(saying KSP is cheating, beware)

I don’t know for sure. I just know it’s not 3030, even if it is a game that I loved.

But I can list games I either enjoyed more, played more, or admired more. Kerbal Space Program. No Man’s Sky. Heat Signature. Battlestar Galactica Deadlock. X3: Albion Prelude. Warframe. Space Rangers HD: A War Apart. Subnautica. Star Traders: Frontiers. Offworld Trading Company.

And I’m pretty sure I’m forgetting something. 3030 is great fun and I enjoyed it, don’t get me wrong. I really like it. But it didn’t make as big an impression on me as those other games did.

If I had to pick one best right now, my pick would probably be X3: Albion Prelude. With KSP as a very close second, perhaps? But all those I mentioned would be pretty close, I suppose.

EDIT: AI War. See? I’m pretty sure I forgot other games too. I’ll add them later ;)

What is KSP?

Kerbal Space Program.

Best game of the decade and I’ve never heard of it or seen it talked about. Now I have to buy and play it just to prove to myself that it isn’t better than my own favorites.

Because I already have a huge backlog–a large chunk of which I plan to get through before making another purchase–I’ve wishlisted this for a sale.

It’s not the best game of the decade, it’s the best space game of the decade for Brian, but our Rocket Monkey knows how to make people click on a thread!

I dunno - I think Paperclips should get consideration in the space genre too.

It’s a pretty fun game, but I don’t think it would make my top ten list for 2017, let alone the decade.

These podcast shock jocks are just driving clicks! Don’t fall for it!

Oh, hey Brian.