3030 Deathwar

Has anyone bought/played it?

http://www.birdinsky.com/

From the devs site…

3030 Deathwar is a top down space adventure game with a hint of 80s nostalgia thrown in. It features, to name a few:[ul]
[li]Top down 2D space exploration.[/li][li]Walking on space stations.[/li][li]Talking to station dwellers.[/li][li]Pirate bounties, courier jobs, passenger jobs.[/li][li]27 different ships to purchase and fly.[/li][li]Over 60 upgrades to purchase and equip to your ship.[/li][li]17 weapons, 20 data discs with background info, 46 news reports.[/li][li]Megaball[/li][li]30+ Goods to trade between systems.[/li][li]Derelicts to board and loot.[/li][li]Asteroids to mine for goods.[/li][li]Hidden wormholes to travel between great distances.[/li][li]Unearth the hidden cleaner plot.[/li][li]And much, much more.[/ul]I checked out the demo and like what I see so far. It really has a good old-school feel to it. The graphics are pretty good for an indie game and the character sprites remind me of the old Lucas Arts adventure games. The demo allows you to play as far as you want with the first ship, but doesn’t allow saves.[/li]
It’s only $20 (9.99 UK pounds). I haven’t bought it yet, as I have way too many games in the queue right now. But, I’m wondering if anyone has and what their thoughts are.

Seems to be very similar to Space Rangers 2, which is also $20 by the way.

this looks like something I’ll love. I’ll buy it next time I fly somewhere.

I have Space Rangers 2. Honestly, my opinion is that it is overrated. I experienced bugs and mistranslations all over the place. There was an entire page in the prison text game that was still in Russian. I had to get my wife to translate just so I could get by.

Also, it just feels like a hodge-podge of minigames thrown in a bucket. If I could disable half of them I would. Oh, and not to mention Starforce and terrible dev support with the English version.

My opinion, anyway.

There’s no Starforce in the TotalGaming.Net version. I don’t remember there being an entire page in Russian either, maybe they fixed it in a patch?

Yeah, unfortuately, I bought it before the TG.net version came out. :(

I saw the Russian in the last patched version.

3030 DeathWar. Is that the slightly more hardcore version of 3030 BadlyWoundedWar?

Ok, I Tried the demo. There’s definate potential h ere. But the devs have greatly irked me, as there doesn’t seem to be any saving in the demo. Great, so if I want to purchase it I have to do all that stuff over again? Good grief.

The shareware barrier seems to be an in game item - the split drive. It allows travelling large distances quickly, yadda yadda yadda. Yours breaks down at the outset, a series of events takes your new ship away, and you’ll eventually be told to buy a ship with a drive to rendezvous somewhere far, far away. But you can’t purchase any ships in the demo portion. I’m not sure it’s even possible to go the destination without a split drive - it’s in another “system”.

System’s are big, which is kind of nice, though without a split drive it can make intra-station/planet travel a small drag.

I got attacked by a pirate I think, I ran like hell.

Yeah, the demo limitations are a little stiff. I made enough money to buy the first ship in only 3 missions. Would have been nice to check it out.

James Allen at Out of 8 gave it 5/8 (Buy if you really like the genre).

http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/2007/09/3030-deathwar-review.html

He didn’t like the travel times and thought they were too long. It’s hard to tell from the demo since you cannot go very far without the split drive. Although, according to the latest patch notes, the drive speed was increased.

Yeah, I had to return the starforce version and pick up the dl version. It’s worked flawlessly. I didn’t like most of the minigames either (the text games or the RTS portions), but the great part is that I got through like 12 games without ever doing things I didn’t like to do. How much more would you want to disable them?

I really liked what I saw in the demo. It had a great “oldschool PC” feel to it… especially in the stations. I love the main character and the writing is fantastic.

I bought it, but unfortunately it’s a paypal-based payment system. And they still haven’t sent me my unlock key.

I think I am going to register it too.

Let me know how long it takes to get the code. That was another thing I was a little wary about. I noticed that there are threads in their tech forum that have not been answered in over a week.

No, I’m actually interested in this game and wanted some opinions.

I’m sorry, but you must be at least a factor three curmudgeon to talk about games here. Prepare for extermination.

I’d try it, but I’ve already got SR2, and I never got into it. My brother, who loved SR, will probably go apeshit over this.

There should be some kind of automatic ban for using bullet points in an OP.

A little bit, but its more comparable to 2929 PainWar.

Everyone knows the best one is 1919 IntestinalDistressWar.

-Tom

A true classic. Shall be remembered in the annal’s of time, along such greats as Pong.

Damn, peeps. Sorry I asked.