360 Recommendations

Unless you’re returning every single game for a replacement, you’d still come out ahead sending it to the publisher.

As for games:

Dead Rising
Viva Pinata
Gears of War
Oblivion (if you don’t have it on PC)
Crackdown
Saints Row
Rainbow Six: Vegas
GRAW2 (since you don’t have GRAW1 already)

$2 for a $55/$60 game doesn’t seem so bad?

Well shit, man, that’s hardly Dead Rising’s fault.

The EB Warranty is a sucker’s bet, just like insurance at the blackjack table.

The pickings are slim. Cars and Open Season are decent and simple enough for a kid to enjoy, but the driving (Cars) and stealth (Open Season) may test the very young ones. The only reason an adult would play them is if they’re craving an easy game or they’re gamerscore whores.

I’m a little bit into Spider-Man 3, and it’s looking to be a bit too complex for the little ones, especially the timed-button-press sequences. Kameo’s difficulty level is too uneven for most kids to enjoy (might be a bit too violent for some, too). Superman Returns is kind of a snooze and doesn’t control as precicely as it should.

Lego Star Wars II is the best pick. Cute, forgiving, yet enjoyable for adults. My 7-year old seemed to enjoy the GC version of Bionicle Heroes (also made by Traveler’s Tales). You might also snag a cheap copy of NHL 2k6 and play on the same team as your kid.

EDIT: I see in another thread you’re just thinking about a 360. If you’re aiming for the kids, get a Wii, a Wavebird, and a GC memory card and you’ll be better off.

I never said it was.

However, DR did do it more than any other game, and DR’s save system made it quite punishing when the Disk Read Error occured.

It wasn’t nearly as bad as in, say, GoW, with its checkpoint system.

Oddly, I put 60 hours into Saints Row and it never happened there.

I only buy it on a few games.

MS has their new disc replacement option, too. A bit pricey at $20, but still a better deal if you’re scratching less than one-in-ten discs so badly. I haven’t yet scratched a disc to the point that it didn’t work anymore, so the up-front ‘insurance’ plan is a waste to me.

I have had problems with Disk Read Errors even with perfect, unscratched discs, though. Primarily in Test Drive Unlimited, but it’s happened with a few others as well (most recently with Crackdown and EDF 2017). It almost always happens when I leave the game paused for a while, so that there hasn’t been much DVD activity, and then upon trying to resume the game it spins down, emits a few clicks, tries to spin back up again, clicks some more, maybe spins back down and up again, and eventually throws up the DRE. Sometimes it manages to carry on, but I always get nervous as soon as I hear those clicks or the drive spins down…

And I’d add TDU to the recommendations if you’re the kind of person who enjoys driving around just for the sake of driving. The racing parts are okay, but Forza will probably be much better at that.

Anyone played Bullet Witch? Since we’re discussing game reccomendations here, I thought I’d ask.

I tried it out. It’s alright but it got kind of boring. There’s little to no feedback when you’re taking damage, the aiming system sucks, and it seems extremely scripted and linear.

It’s a cool concept with not-so-cool execution.

Those errors have nothing to do with the game. It’s your actual disc or your 360. I’ve NEVER had the error and I played the hell out of DR. Replace the 360.

I’ve got a 1080p TV and I’ve definitely been pondering the Elite… damn them for not including the transfer cable though. But lets not let me derail the thread in yet another direction ;)

~C~

From anecdotal evidence on the xbox.com forums, the ship time for that cable has been as low as 2 days. Just sayin’. (you can have MS send you one free if you buy the elite and need one)

Okay I just got my new Xbox 360 and it’s pretty neat… a few questions if I may:

There seem to be only 2 USB slots in the “controllers” section, if I have 3 or 4 wired controllers, where do I put the 3rd and 4th ones in? The memory slots? Can I plug in a regular USB hub instead? Do Xbox controllers work with the PC since they seem like they are USB?

Is the media sharing feature useless if I already have an HTPC connected to my TV?

Where can I get some demos (for free preferrably) so I can play around with games without buying them?

The last question is easy, get on Xbox live and download your demos.

For the first question, there’s another USB port on the back for USB wireless bridges or accessories like the camera, but I think it’ll take a controller. But why would you want a wired controller, wireless is great.

Incase I want to have a DDR 4 player madness party at my house or something.

So I grabbed my 360 today, plus Gears and Dead Rising.

I couldn’t quite pull the trigger on either Crackdown or Saints Row. I played through all of the PS2 GTA games (including the omg will this ever end San Andreas) - obviously I like the GTA-style genre, but does Crackdown or Saints Row really bring enough to the table to make it worth buying instead of just waiting for Yet Another GTA Release?

No, people mentioned them here becuase they weren’t among the best games on the 360, and worth getting even if you have played every GTA. Or not.

You can find out on your own though: There are demos for both available via the marketplace.

What a novel concept - I think I’m gonna like this console :)

Saint’s Row and Crackdown are both excellent.

I was very sad when I finished SR.

Don’t buy wired controllers. Problem solved :)
(Why the hell do you have more than one wired controller? WHYYY?!)

Can I plug in a regular USB hub instead?

I’d like to know that, too. Try if you have a hub lying around :)

Do Xbox controllers work with the PC since they seem like they are USB?

Yes. You can buy wired controllers, and they come in two flavours: for Windows
or for 360. The ONLY difference is that the Windows edition of the package
comes with a driver CD, which is probably outdated anyway. Download the
driver and off you go. Trigger buttons are often not supported, but the rest
of them work fine.

MS are also going to release an adapter so you can use wireless 360 controllers
on a regular PC. Coming Real Soon Now.