3x3: movies that need prequels

We discuss instances of movies we supposedly think need prequels at the 1:19 mark of the Qt3 Movie Podcast of La La Land.

Dingus
3. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
2. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

1. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Tom Chick
3. 300
2. Planet of the Apes

1. The Hobbit

Kelly Wand
3. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
2. The Godfather

1. The Passion of the Christ

What movies do you think need prequels? Listen to hear us being ridiculous about our choices, and to hear Kelly read some listener choices.

Write in to [email protected] with your choices for the next 3x3 topic.

Actually, my pick was Lord of the Rings, not The Hobbit. That certainly doesn’t need a prequel. Aren’t we getting into Silmarillion territory at that point? No one wants to see a Silmarillion movie.

-Tom

I can’t say anything I’ve seen really needs a prequel. But earlier this year, I remember a thought exercise about what would happen if someone decided to make a new Addams Family movie. I think Raul Julia and Anjelica Huston defined those roles. You can’t cast them better, and any attempt to do so will come up short. So how do you make an Addams Family movie where the audience will accept we actors in those parts? Prequel.

What I’m picturing is Diego Luna and Krysten Ritter as a young Gomez and Morticia meeting and falling in love. The bookish Gomez and star athlete Fester are competing for top honors at CUNY. Morticia, daughter of the corrupt mayor meets her dream man while attending a stranger’s funeral, and the adventure begins…

Without Wednesday Addams, it wouldn’t be right.

I’ll go with:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Memento
Pulp Fiction

Hmm. Interesting idea. But given the direction things go in this movie, wouldn’t a prequel be a sequel?

Gotcha!

-xtien

Prequels often occur in the same genre. I think for a lot of movies, a prequel would realistically be something completely other. That’s not a bad thing.

Say, a prequel to Pretty Woman. Obviously a drama about what leads Julie Roberts to the life she’s leading in the film.

The prequel to Jaws is clearly a nature documentary (hopefully with great narration) about what could make this shark turn into such a people killer.

I utterly loathe prequel exercises, but, gun-to-my-head, I’d say John Wick would be one I’d think about watching.

Didn’t even think of that one. I love this idea.

You’re right about the whole exercise though. Because one of the things I love about John Wick is the mileage Keanu Reeves is bringing to the character at that point in the story. I don’t want to see him roll back that mileage for a prequel by trying to spark more energy or undo the years. Nor do I have any interest in seeing some younger actor take the part on. I love what he has done with the character too much. Who could have imagined saying such a thing about Keanu Reeves twenty years ago?

So this is a great choice that kind of drives home the problem with the topic.

And you just made me want to watch this movie again. Which I think I’ve done at least twice this year.

-xtien