65 - Adam Driver versus the dinosaurs

Nah man, it’s science.

Stealth entry to the Hyborian Age Film Universe confirmed!

Do you want A Sound Of Thunder? Because that’s how you get A Sound Of Thunder.

It’s cute to read people’s predictions and jokes about this thing - this movie had nothing half as good. You guys should be writing movies, and the guys who wrote this should be washing cars for a living.

I can’t fathom how this got made.

We’ve seen dinosaurs alive and moving in neat ways since Harryhausen, and they’re cool and all but at the end of the day they’re big, dumb lizards, you can only do so much that’s different when you stick to the template.

That said, there are three novel and creative properties that have played on the idea of dinosaurs evolving into present day, which gave us a scope of possibility unmatched by the more mundane Jurassic Parks and Journey to the Center of the Earths. These are of course, the Dinosaurs (sitcom), SuperMariobros '93 and Jupiter:Ascending. A thrilling triumvirate that are so compelling, no one has dared stand in their shadow since.

Ha ha, you guys saw 65!

Watched this, absolutely dreadful, can I have those 2 hours back please

Adam Driver is really good, and it’s bizarre to watch him waste it on this. There’s a grief storyline, and he’s really feeling it, but like everything else in the movie it goes nowhere, so it’s truly weird to watch him expend all that energy and emotion.

I assume it’s what he does for rent so he can go make movies about writing poems and divorcing people.

Everyone knows in the d-dimension it’s impossible to drive straight.

Don’t agree with that. You can do a ton of different things with Dinos, but at the end of the day the characters have to be compelling and the story has to be good (or at least good enough that you care about reaching the end). Kind of the same way the best zombie movies aren’t only about the zombies. And the best superhero movies aren’t about a CGI punchout.

People who make dino movies, though, don’t seem to be able to move past the “see, a big monster” phase of cinematography, though.

I always think the nature of movies is that you can do anything you want.

Movies don’t even have to make sense, they just have to convince you.

Recently I rewatched Heat, and there are so many things in that movie that just don’t add up if you think about it - like a dangerous wanted criminal allowing himself to be stopped by the cop who’s chasing him, agreeing to have coffee with him, and then talking about how they’re definitely gonna kill each other down the line (and these are supposed to be smart, ruthless people) - but the movie and those scenes are so good that you just don’t mind.

So yeah, dinos can and should be awesome, it’s purely up to the writer and director - and the artists of course.

The dinos in this movie are just complete and utter wank. They look terrible. They’re the same goddamn dinos we saw in Jurassic Park, but worse. Their behavior is terrible.

Anyone who is familiar with nature knows that none of these animals would behave in these ways. Of course we don’t know exactly how dinosaurs would behave (which leaves the writers completely free to make them as awesome as they want) but based on the references we have, raptors wouldn’t be jumping prey that’s six times their size, and none of these predators would keep fighting once they got hurt trying to get a meal.

The writers don’t know that, or they don’t care, or they can’t come up with something better that will convince us, and that’s another one in their long list of mistakes.

We’ve seen this movie so many times. We’ve seen it with wolves, we’ve seen it with zombies (very recently in The Last of Us, which makes this look like amateur hour) we’ve seen it with bandits, and 65 does absolutely nothing to make it its own.

Why is this sci fi? Why are they going to earth? Why is it the time of the dinosaurs?

The only thing they use it for is so that the dude can have a rifle, and some fancy grenades, that he can throw at some hungry critters, and then have some scary fireworks in the end, none of which the movie uses to good effect.

It’s the most extravagant waste of money I’ve seen in a while (and I saw the new Avatar recently). It’s just idiocy. Anyone who read the script for this should’ve known better.

I’m not sure whether you guys realize this, but 65 is from the folks who created The Quiet Place. Which is why I’m not surprised that 65 is as bad as it is.

But I liked A Quiet Place! I remember hearing you talk about this on the podcast, but did you write anything about why it’s bad?

I wasn’t expecting this to be good. I saw it because I’m a sucker for Adam Driver and I wanted to see him goof around with lizards, but it still managed to be so much worse than I was expecting.

If I wrote anything about Quiet Place, it would be in the thread for the movie or the podcast. I’m guessing there’s even a thread for the sequel, and I might have been part of the conversation there. But, as you recall, I was NOT a fan.

I just feel there’s a lot of poorly thought out nonsense in both 65 and A Quiet Place. There are certainly differences – Krasinski, naturally, has a much better feel for direction than Beck and Woods – but there are tons of similarities in both their overearnest scripts: underdeveloped world-building, grossly implausible character actions, convenient “rules” violations, that sort of thing. And in my opinion, neither movie had anything to offer to compensate for the weak scripts.

I get that a lot of people liked the Quiet Place movies, but you can still like it and see the similarities with 65. But anyone wondering why Beck and Woods couldn’t get any traction in Hollywood after selling Quiet Place need only watch 65 to see why.

Maybe that will change soon. They wrote the adaptation of a Stephen King book, The Boogeyman, which is out this summer. Those tend to do well enough no matter how dumb they are. : )

Had some spare Prime digital credits about to expire, so I gave this movie a shot.

For a documentary regarding the day the dinosaurs died, I was impressed with the movie’s attention to detail and authenticity.

Recommended!

(Its at least twice as good as that Will Smith movie where he crashes on a planet with his son.)

Uh oh. This is on Netflix now.

Am I about to watch a terrible movie?

Enjoy! :)

Ha ha, you’re watching 65!

It’s like a remake of After Earth.. Did you like After Earth?