7 days to die

Nick and I have been grousing about this game for, well, since it was announced. I need to do my bi-yearly “update it and see if I still hate it” thing.

I don’t actually HATE it. I just get bored or frustrated after about 10 minutes.

It’s much much much better.
To the point that I finish up sessions and want to go play more.

I very much need more quests though.

Yes! They’ve got a pretty good framework now for the challenges and treasure quests, but once they get some real meat on the structure, this should be a much more interesting aspect of the game.

If anyone is interested I have created a cheatsheet for 7 Days To Die. It hasn’t been optimized yet for 14.x but the system for keeping track of gun parts you found is really the star and it hasn’t changed I don’t think.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-KA2lx42Lt8c0JXcVZLaDVFRGs

If you use it please let me know what you think. I’ll come back when I’ve optimized it but I’m not sure yet about all the books and schematics and which have been replaced by perks, etc.

So yeah, anyway, I’m a big fan of 7DTD since, I think, Alpha 9? It’s come a long way and this release is a thing of beauty in my opinion.

Nice one with the bingo tab!

Huh. Didn’t expect this.

7 Days to Die is coming to consoles. Published by Telltale.

The console version of 7 Days to Die adds a new multiplayer mode supporting local split-screen for couch play, additional online multiplayer modes and features will be revealed in the coming weeks.

More details on the console version:

http://7daystodie.com/7-days-coming-to-consoles/

Fans of Telltale’s The Walking Dead series will be excited to learn that pre-ordering7 Days to Die will give them exclusive access to 5 character skins from Telltale’s hit series, including Michonne and Lee Everett.

7 Days to Die will be supported by exciting DLC content, with details to be revealed in the near future.

The game is due for release on PlayStation 4, and Xbox One during the summer of 2016. It will be available as a downloadable or disc-based, retail product with a recommended retail price of $29.99 USD or equivalent, and is available for pre-order at GameStop, Best Buy, GAME, and Amazon.

Good news, in that this means we are hitting v1 soon, after all these years! Also not too surprising, since they’ve been gradually updating the UI and improving the controller support.

Next I hope they support VR.

I just sunk a handful of hours into it this week, and really liked the improvements but I just am never excited to keep playing for some reason. After a long session I just couldn’t think of a reason why I shouldn’t go play Ark instead, so I did that.

At least my oldest has gotten lots of entertainment from it, but I can’t quite identify why it hasn’t clicked for me.

The game is still in Alpha 14 (stable,14.7) and they think they will have Alpha 15 out soon. Lots of new features supposedly but we’ll see.

In the meantime, I’m still tweaking my patented Mr_PeaCH’s 7DTD Cheatsheet and Bingo Card.

Also, I’ve got myself a YouTube channel devoted to an ongoing challenge about opening playstyles in the game; grinding levels and skills soonest vs. simply exploring but prioritizing the scavenging skill and Quality Joe perk. I’m the nomad. The official forum thread on the challenge is here.

V1 for console was meant to be released this month, I’d hoped we were almost out of alpha.

The game is still in Alpha 14 (stable,14.7)

Hmm. Wonder what they changed from the experimental 14.6, which was the last change I played with. (Wanders off to check out)

The console version of this game is getting torn apart in reviews. (Metacritic and Opencritic are both in the 30% area.)

It always struck me as an odd idea to launch at 1.0 in console, when it’s very clearly still an early access product on PC.

I couldn’t understand the timing about the console release, either. The game is pretty good right now, but it’s totally not finished. My only guess is that TFP had a hard deadline for console.

It’s honestly a little shady, if you ask me. Telltale is doing no one any favors by not selling this as an early access title. I guess the issue (for them) is that there is no “early access” on PS4, like there is on Xbox One with the Preview Program. It’s either launch-ready, or it’s not. I know there have been a couple of games sold in alpha or beta state on PSN, but they seem to have been tests.

It’s not even clear if the console version will be getting all the updates the PC version will.

But, is the game development on pc advancing at a good pace, or is one of so many survival games that seem eternally stuck in alpha state?

Yes, no, kinda? The significant updates have come about once a month. The game has changed immensely since its early access Steam launch. If you check screenshots in the early part of the thread, the game looks nothing like that now. The terrain literally used to be blocky and items were all from the Unity asset store. Now, the terrain features smooth more natural slopes and the in-game items are all custom models. Additionally, the developers have changed a lot of the mechanics. It used to be a Minecraft clone with zombies. It falls a lot more on the RPG zombie survival TD side now with body temperature, scent tracking, skill progression, and item rarities.

I’d say it’s a lot more feature complete and playable than something like DayZ, and it has more gameplay systems than Rust (like actual NPC enemies that will mess you up) but it’s still obviously a work-in-progress.

I think they outsourced the development of the console version.

I am watching the challenge on youtube and am really enjoying it. So much so, I had to buy the game.

I never much cared for minecraft but I think I enjoy this game because everything is under a moderate time constraint with the 7 day hordes. It adds a sense of pace and an objective to the game that keeps me interested. Also for some reason I find the sounds of the crafting and digging and scavenging very soothing.

I have made it through day 35 horde and the difficulty really starts to ramp up. The first two hordes were fun and kinda frantic in my makeshift house but then the day 21 horde tore up that house and I died about 10 times trying to recover my backpack.

Seems like after day 14 you really need to devote your time to building something to withstand wave upon wave of zombies that allows you to kill them without them getting anywhere near you.