7 days to die

What does your entry method look like?

Awesome base Tman! This game seems like it’s really meant for multiplayer. I can’t imagine being able to get anything like that set up on my own. Though looking at what you posted about 9.2, the biome spawning masks will make a huge difference. How many people did you have working to put that base together? Would love to take a crack at this game with a good coordinated group of folks.

If you look at the top pic, you’ll see overhangs in the middle of each wall with a hole in it…that is for a ladder that is missing the bottom-most rung. ALWAYS remove the bottom-most rung from ladders. Zombies can’t jump.

Again, I’ll point out that this is the Garage Point of Interest (POI) that we re-purposed, so the only thing we added was the moat of spikes, the surrounding wall and the garden, which cut down the work by a LOT. It was done by just two of us. It’s all about foraging and continuously making things while you’re foraging. For example, while you’re out & about exploring, convert a few stacks of 64 cinder blocks to gravel. Or take a few thousand gunpowder & make gunpowder charges, or take gunpowder charges & paper & make TNT.

You should always be making something.

The garden is also key - getting to venison/rabbit stew as fast as possible will reduce significantly the amount of foraging you need to do. The potatoes and corn are requisites for that, so horde and baby that corn & potatoes when you find them to get the garden going stat.

9.2 is out! Sounds like some decent changes.

• Added feral night hordes. Once per week or every 7th night zombies get really hungry and become feral. These feral night hordes can sense players and will find them regardless of how well they are hiding. Every week the horde grows in numbers until the 7th week.

Yikes!

On one hand, I love the sledge, OTOH it was available so early, it really made it easy, so moving it behind a few books is a good move. Make the early few days a bit more challenging.

The new horde system looks interesting, the problem with servers it’s hard to time whether you’re actually on the server on the 7th night.

Coffee plants + sham sandwich and you can now make books from paper! (yes!). I wonder if you use moldy bread or corn meal on that sandwich with no wheat / bread in the game. Guess I’ll find out tonight!

No food from zed’s will mean more foraging (which I think is a good change IMO). But not having to have water to farm will be a lot better!

The only thing I’m disappointed in is they didn’t increase the density of POI’s. The random gen really requires a LOT of walking right now & I was hoping we’d see a tweak in the density of POIs.

So Spider Zombies are not a problem with the ladder entry, eh?

Ugh, 9.2 brought back the 9.0 bug with spawning on top of whatever you logged out inside of. Not fun on two story houses with attics.

Time is also whacked out on my dedicated server. Last night it was going really slowly, like it wasn’t respecting my 30 minute days setting. Then I logged on this morning and the time was bouncing back between 7:02 and 7:03, though the crafting timers in fireplaces/forges was working properly.

I’m sensing a hotfix (hopefully) today.

Also, the new anticheat system they’ve decided to use is a little wonky. Using it with the 64-bit client causes a memory leak after a couple of hours. Until they get that fixed, you’ll want to run 64-bit without the anticheat.

And a new Hotfix 9.3 is out. Thank god. 9.2 had some game breaking things (super horde every day after day 7 instead of every 7 days and farming was broken).

Good Day Survivalists,
Alpha 9.3 hotfix is out and here’s the skinny.

Changed

Changed crops to grow faster (every 40 minutes they advance to the next stage) but yield a little less food.
Changed it so crops no longer break when walked on
Changed renamed all VACs to EAC in anticheat load screen
Changed console command “set time” so it sets directly the specified time, without adding offset any more
Fixed

Fixed 7th Night Feral horde from spawning on subsequent nights. Note: they will still spawn on nights divisible by 7.
Fixed army camp burnt forest allowed biomes tag spelling in the xml
Fixed “time warp bug” on client dedis
Field of view is now only applied to the game camera, the gun camera stays at 60
Fixed prefab/road overlap block type bug
Fixed problem that client sometimes jumped back one second esp. during nights
Fixed cotton so it doesn’t grow instantly
Fixed player spawning in wasteland hub so players don’t spawn in the city
Fixed shift clicking with left and right mouse button dupe
Fixed buff chance percentage display
Fixed ArgumentNullException on dedicated servers when a player logs off

Hotfix is out - not sure if it addresses TMan’s concerns.

Anyone playing on good servers? Please post it if it is fun (and not a cheat fest)

It’s not really the cheating that’s a concern as much as the general trolling and bugginess. Jumping on random public servers and wandering around can result in getting a complete ass messing with you - but that’s just like any pubbie MP situation. The bugginess though? That can be tough to handle, depending on the latest update.

I started with 8.6 or 8.7 I think and I was really impressed with the stability. With each subsequent release, particularly with 9.0 and 9.1, they’ve had some really nasty bugs and their subsequent patching of them is really a patch - not meant for anything long term, just chewing gum & bailing wire to hold it together until Alpha 10.

Farming wouldn’t have been such a deal breaker if they hadn’t at the same time really reduced the food - for example, I went through 6 floors of an apt building (4 apts per floor) and got 8 food items total. Not exactly a good Return on time spent.

The biomes are still pretty spread out, at least on the MP server I play on (private, psw secured server), so food is really an issue when farming doesn’t work at all. It requires a lot of hunting and with the biome masks, stopping all spawning, I was seriously wondering if we were going to have enough food. Oh sure the first few days were bountiful as we killed every pig & stag we saw. But now there are no more until the biome masks reset and in the meantime, you have to eat a lot of meals per day just to stay healthy.

So with the recent history of bugs/patches, my guess is the farming “fix” is not a fix - it’s a patch. Food grows faster so it doesn’t get killed when grass comes back on the 3rd day. While it hasn’t been proven - food does grow faster now, but I’m wondering if you don’t harvest if grass will still kill everything on the 3rd day.

But - there is still the old behavior where food doesn’t grow unless you’re close enough. I’m still seeing this complaint on the server, so when you’re out & about, food doesn’t grow.

I’m really hoping they’ll get their QA under control. Some of the bugs that have surfaced in the past several weeks are really head scratchers - did you really even test this or was it just a cursory test?

In the end though, even with the bugs, it’s just made it that more challenging. The world is a beautiful world that I never get tired of walking around in, and the increase in zombie speed / spawning is making this a real challenge! I can live with the bugs b/c this is a game I really am excited to see where the developers take it.

Given that this is an early access title currently in an alpha state of development, I’m not going to hold bugs against them or expect the various patches to be trouble free. That just seems to go with the territory, although I can understand the frustration.

I don’t think they are in an alpha state of development - actually I think they have been in Beta for a very long time, and judging by the current version number, getting ready for release.

Been away from 7D2D for a few patches so quick question about the new RMG… does it generate buildings? Towns? I’ve made a few maps so far and it just seems like endless wilderness biomes with random scrap heaps and a few roads.

It does generate points of interest like the ones in the set Arizona map, but you have to wander a lot to see them. The only constant is if you go to 0,0 you should see the ruined town area.

I’ll just throw a quick add to that, I know i’m a little slow sometimes, but (0,0) wasn’t obvious when I first viewed the map, so I’ll expand upon that for people like me.

When you bring up the map with M, your cursor will have something like “575S 1276E” and this is where you are at now. So you need to head 575 North, and 1276 West to get to 0,0.

As someone who lives in Salt Lake City, that was thankfully very intuitive for me.