7 reasons to skip Xenoblade Chronicles

Title 7 reasons to skip Xenoblade Chronicles
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game diaries
When April 5, 2012

Some people run around recommending great games willy nilly. I'm convinced you can't always do that. Even great games might come with caveats..

Read the full article

Concerning #3, you can order the game directly from Nintendo: http://store.nintendo.com/weba.... They also offer a Xenoblade / Classic Controller bundle.

What convinced you to play this out of the way RPG? I remember you mentioning it somewhere but can't seem to find it.

#3 is the most likely reason I won't get it. I hate store exclusives, even if it's two stores and not just the one. Also, I could swear I'd read you -have- to preorder it, that there will be no regular sales. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

I also don't know if I'm prepared to make that kind of time commitment (in fact I'm pretty sure that even if I intend to, I won't). But man, exclusives just rub me all kinds of wrong.

I mostly booted it up out of curiosity. I think the only thing I knew about it when I started playing was that someone who commented on my Final Fantasy XIII-2 review suggested I should try Xenoblade Chronicles. But I've never played any of Monolith Soft's other RPGs, so the comment didn't much to me at the time.

I ended up ordering the game from Nintendo, which is totally against my "GOTTA HAVE IT NOW" mentality, but I dislike Gamestop that much.

I might normally agree with you on this one, yamo. But in this case, the real time combat is perfectly manageable. In fact, it's one of the game's best selling points. I've fought literally hundreds of battles in Xenoblade Chronicles and I still find them thrilling.

The pursuit of higher resomolutions is dumb. What's wrong with a confident and handsome art style that supports gameplay?

This is why Canabalt is better looking that Dragon Age.

Except it isn't dumb. Art of polygon count? Every time. But what about when you have two games with great art. One is standard definition, one is high definition. I know which one I'd rather play.

I mean to say "Art over polygon count?"

I get what you're saying, Mr. Gaffer, but it seems Roy's point is that people who willingly miss great games because they aren't high-res enough are dumb. It's like someone refusing to watch Casablanca because it's black-and-white.

1 and 2 can be solved through emulation. You need a powerful PC of course, but if you have access to one it looks great. There are even mods that fix the 2d elements that are usually an issue when emulating at high resolutions.

3 can be solved by emulating or modifying the wii, because it wasn't an exclusive in Europe. You need patience waiting for it of course, but it might be cheaper.

5 is truly baffling.

these 7 things made me want it even more, and so i just ordered it

My Nintendo order was labeled "backordered", but it shipped yesterday. Hopefully your delay is just as brief.

Most people used normal wii controller and played just as well, me included

Point three is completely BS, you can change the order of your inventory by categorizing it, it's right on top of the menu, why blaming the game when you missed the obvious?

Point five is a straight lie, you can open up the hidden menu when you are shopping for gears and by moving the cursor of the item, you can see which stats are raised and which didn't. Also most quest tell you the locations and characters.

Point six is another lie, the battles are not hard throughout the way, even if you didn't solve the sidequest. This is because the difficulty depends on your character level and arts/skills development, meaning as long as your level is within 6 of that of your opponent, you shouldn't find it difficult, and at most challenging if it's a leader monster.

You think this is hard? Obviously you haven't seen dark souls, risen and the witcher 2, they have the steep learning curve. And not just because you starts off with level 1, but because it requires completely different approach than button smashing.

And point 7 is just random. People enjoy things differently, who are you to say the game takes too long to set up? Also, people have finished XB in less than 80 hours, so it's evident that your assumption is wrong and you don't even have the game or didn't even bother to actually play it.

And you are a game writer. Fire yourself.

some of these, im wondering if you are being sarcastic, because if they are legitimate reasons why you should stop playing a games, then really... (such as controller and where you buy the game, i mean yeah they can be annoyances, but really). I do disagree on some parts, and some of the things, such as investment actually adds an ironic plus to the game for me because it adds that extra difficulty and gives a more likely chance that the game have been invested into and that i can ensure a long and challenging game worth the money. I mean, games that are too simple, especially for an rpg are too boring, at least for me. This game has traditional rpg elements but adds a twist that ensures me that the producers of this game didn't just slap on a "this is an rpg" genre with no chance for innovation.

This is hands down the worst list I've ever read in my life, first of all #1 makes no sense if your using the logic of oh it looks like a last gen game then why the hell would you buy any wii games hell why would you own a wii on the first place, #2 you assume no one has a classi+c controller and even if you dont then just buy one is only $20 its not expensive at all, #3 reallly? really? by your logic: gamestop sells it better not buy it theyre the devil. #4 have you ever even played an true RPG on your life? not talking about final fantasy im talking about ones that actually have that kind of system. #5 would be a problem if you had the memory of a 5 year old that skips through text and isnt able to actually catch on, on what people say. #6 heres that legendary logic again, if the game is really long why even play it? hell why play video games at all? #7 its basically the exact same as #6 why even play a game if your not going to get invested on it? games that you pick up for five minutes and play are not games theyre apps you find in freaking itunes not real games.

The game is no where near perfect, and I'm not a fanboy I know its flaws trust me and i dont care if people insult this or anyother game i like, what i do care though is that people have GOOD reasons to actually do it, your list is the type that a middle schoolers would type if not an elementary grade student.