A list of videogames from 2023, already released and yet to come

Tchia should be on your action/adventure list. I haven’t gotten very far in it, but it’s a beautifully made game.

Well, it isn’t my ‘personal’ list of games I’m interested in. I actually don’t care for some for some of the listed.
It’s just a list of AAA games + smaller games with very good review scores and/or very good user scores.

Wow, I would have expected it to qualify under TurinTur’s “smaller games with very good review scores” category, but he’s right, it’s not as highly reviewed as I was expecting.

I’ll have to dive into some of the lower scores and find out why critics didn’t like it. I’ve only played it for about 3 hours and found it to be almost as ambitious as Zelda Breath of the Wild so far, maybe more so because they let you loose in a modern city early, and you can ride around on vehicle traffic.

Well I’ve never heard of Tchia, so it must suck.

I would have included it if I had see it on Steam with good user scores (despite not having them on MC), but I didn’t see it, because right now it’s a Epic exclusive :D :D

To be fair, EGS now has user scores too, and the game has a 4.8/5, so it seems players are liking it more than reviewers.

I didn’t know Avatar was going to be first person. Now I’m a lot more excited for it. If I only had time to play it this year, right?

Btw, three “big releases” come out next week. Immortals of Isfahan, or whatever that FPS is from EA, which I feel like supporting because it’s an FPS with a single player campaign, Armored Core 6, and Blasphemous 2.

Avatar looked like scifi Far Cry, and very pretty, so if that’s your thing, hey, it will release on December when the schedule is more relaxed.

At the end of October, in the last 5 days or so, the following will release:

Alan Wake 2
Alone in the Dark
Spiderman 2
Hot Wheels Unleashed 2
Cities Skyline 2
Ghostrunner 2

And Super Mario Wonder on Oct 20th.

I wonder which will be smart and delay to the much more open November.

You know what I love about Qt3? All the updates and discussion in this topic, and no mention of COD: Modern Warfare III.

Ha! That’s because Call of Duty is like breathing the air, it’s always there.

I will at least say that by pure chance I saw part of the CoD segment of the gamescom showcase yesterday, and the ‘open missions’ in the campaign that they announced held my attention. I thought “wow, they are going to put somewhat meaningful gameplay in this videogame!”

But seriously, they have done… twenty Call of Duty(ies?), and at this point I’m not interesting in competitive pvp mp, so it’s hard to give a damn.

Yeah, if you don’t count the two Warzone games as their own games, this will be the 20th mainline Call of Duty game, otherwise number 22 if you count Warzone 1 and 2.

I would add Wo Long, which is actually a pretty good game, in my experience, now that it got some much needed patches.

Somehow I had forgotten that this came out in 2023 too. Feels like forever ago in terms of major game releases.

(I was reminded of it now thanks to the VR version being shown at Sony’s State of Play for PSVR2).

I fired this up and it is beautiful and a nice change from my recent Diablo 4/Lies of P excursions. Adventuring in the Faery Forest with/looking for the sister was a nice couple of hours of fun yesterday.

It’s on xBox Gamepass, so check it out if the trailer appeals…

Coming in the next month:

Cocoon (September 29)
EA SPORTS FC 24 (September 29)
Lamplighter’s League (October 3)
Warhammer 40K: Darktide (October 4)
Assassin’s Creed Mirage (October 5)
Detective Pikachu Returns (October 6)
Forza Motorsport (October 10)
Lords Of The Fallen (October 13)
Sonic Superstars (October 17)
Spider-Man 2 (October 20)
Super Mario Wonder (October 20)
Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol.1 (October 24)
Cities Skylines II (October 24)
Ghostrunner 2 (October 26)
Alan Wake 2 (October 27)
EA Sports UFC 5 (October 27)
Hot Wheels Unleashed 2 (October 29)
Jusant (October 31)
EA Sports WRC (3 days Early access version) (October 31)

I didn’t know where to put this, beyond making a new thread, so I will reused this thread instead.

Aren’t games coming rougher more and more often?

Today it has been officially announced that the performance is going to be shit in Cities Skylines II.

(not with these words, but when the own developer is warning people of how the performance is not where they wish to be, when the usual for video games is to have bad performance without any warning, we can imagine how it’s going to be lol).

Redfall released the 60 fps update the other day for consoles, and the pc version framerate improved by a good 40% !! (if you have a good gpu), apart from gameplay improvements, parts of the map that were empty before now have combat encounters, etc. Which is good, but it also proves the game was released a good four months before it was ready.

Star Wars Survivor have received several updates in this last half a year, but from what I read, it’s still isn’t where it should be, with random crashes if you dare to have raytracing enabled and stutters in some levels

Forza Motorsport has been released, and it’s in better shape than those, most people can play it and have fun, but fans are beginning to see this is a starting point and the game hopefully improves over the next months: for some people the game is crashy, for other the performance isn’t up to the task (despite the graphics aren’t the big jump people expected), the AI crashes into you because it seems it can’t see you, the campaign mode is very lacking, the progression system is hated by almost everyone, there are some puzzling missing features, and in general people are wondering about the long dev cycle came the game had, if it has released this way. There are people more negative, mind you.

Lords of the Fallen is another one for the count, the game is promising but it’s still feels as a beta, giving the roughness. The performance for some people is very bad (with good computers) while for others seems fine if you look at the average fps, but in reality the frametimes are all over the place, some people are having save game corruption issues, other people with crashes, multiplayer barely works, bugs are not rare. They are releasing patches very quickly (three in the last 4 days?) which imo shows they know they released the game before it was ready, and at least they are trying to be responsive as a way to compensate the initial release that they know it was a bit too soon for the game. They for example removed dlss3 temporarily while they fix it because it was crashy.

Immortals of Aveum has been totally forgotten already but it have some insane hardware requirements on pc, and on console it works… by lowering A LOT the internal resolution, it’s like coming back to ps3 days.

Darktide released on a disguised Early Access past year, and needed four months to be played without common crashes or disconnects, and even more to feel ‘equivalent’ to their past game, gameplay wise (while still having half the maps).

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty was super rough on release, and still has a bad 46% positive on Steam because of that.

Not every game has been like that, of course. Baldur’s Gate 3 was good, from what I have heard, Zelda TTOK released in perfect shape, Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty is in good shape (bu you know, they had the last three years improving the base game to be able to do it).

But still, jeez, I guess the games industry has even more consolidation coming in the AAA market, because it seems lots of companies are not able to reach the desired targets of quality, so I suspect some will disappear, others will be bought and merged, etc.

Here are the “yet to come” games that I’m interested in 2023, as of now:

• Dark Envoy
  • Jusant
  • Grandblue Fantasy Versus: Rising
  • SteamWorld Build
  • Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader

2023 had too many good games already, but it keeps on giving. :)

Still very much looking forward to The Invincible, which is coming in two weeks!

Oh shit! I didn’t know that was coming so soon! The onslaught of 2023 continues! I’ll have a “Games bought in 2023” backlog for years to come.

The Invincible looks incredible though. I hope they don’t get drowned out by all the other releases.