A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

I just went to Branson this year for the first time since I was a kid, so that drove up my score. We just went for something to do – relatively short drive for us. We have no desire to go back. I should get some points removed for that.

Master Sergeant

The fact that I didn’t get a 50-point bump for growing up in Dolly Partonville, Tennessee is the real crime here.

Ok that’s funny. Hey, Dolly does good work giving away all those books and she takes care of her Dollyworld employees. I think she has a college scholarship program for them. She’s a libtard, I believe.

The quiz designers really missed their chance to stick it to the “elitists” on that question by not including the answer: “The last name of Tom the Chauffer on Downton Abbey.” ;-)

Dolly Parton’s the second-best thing to come out of Sevierville, TN, after me, of course. She’s legit.

Heh, hey now, my grandmother was from Pigeon Forge. She will CUT you!

I feel like I lost 20 points on this quiz for having a busy month.

Psh, I bet she gets her knives from the methhead selling Cutcos on the Strip instead of from Smoky Mountain Knifeworks as GAWD intended

Thanks. I thought it might be, but I’d seen it rendered differently before, I thought. What’s one lower stripe and three chevrons (the pointy stripes on the top are called that, right?) mean? Or am I remembering it wrong?

OK, per Wikipedia that’s Staff Sergeant, but they show Master Sergeant as three lower stripes (bars?) and three chevrons, with no star, at least in the US Army.

Honest to GAWD, Grandma Lucy as a young girl rode in a covered wagon from Tennessee to Oklahoma. Hardcore!

Some flavor of sergeant, that’s all I know.

(comes back and looks at thread) What have I done?

On the one hand, I did intend to create a discussion about how viewing preferences differ between demographics.

On the other hand, I didn’t think opening a box labelled “Hocus Pocus 2” would have Charles Murray jump out. That’s the kind of Halloween scare no one wants!

That test is weird. I got a high score ( 65 ) mostly due to my life before college.

More proof that college turns you into antifa! /s

It seems like a very odd notion to hypothesize that doing things that most people do means you are NOT in a bubble. Isn’t it opposite? Aren’t the people going to the mom and pop restaurants and seeing their arthouse cinema or local craft fair getting the broader experience?

Yes. But you’re not experiencing REAL AMERICA, like country music, pickup trucks, and NASCAR.

Re: that quiz. I got a 33, largely owing to my childhood spent in Appalachia, knowing who Jimmie Johnson is (or was at the time of the poll), and monthly or so trips to the Waffle House. Spending nearly my entire adult life in university towns probably reduced it quite a bit.

I don’t want to rehash some of the other arguments as to why it’s so myopic, but some of these seem nearly impossible to answer affirmatively. Like, the metro area one. Here’s a map of US metro areas (the dark green ones):

It’s highly unlikely not to be from a town included in a metro area, especially if you’re from the eastern half of the country. Even a lot of the light green areas are micropolitan areas that likely have 50,000 people. Again, I’m from a small town in Appalachia and yet it’s still part of a large (by this guy’s standards) metro area. Sorry my guy, but places like Charleston, WV or Bristol TN/VA are not some ultra-progressive liberal bubbles, never mind the towns 25-50 miles out from them included in their metro areas. Wouldn’t mind showing that dude some places in the Asheville metro area either.

I kinda like Peacock, but this sounds bad:

Paramount+, for example, has roughly three times the paid subscribers as Peacock. The combination of HBO Max and Discovery+ ended Q2 with seven times as many.

I figured it would at least be ahead of Paramount+ (not a Star Trek guy, don’t stone me).