A meta thread for video streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Disney, HBO, Warner, Prime, AppleTV, etc

That high school is around the corner from where I grew up in Cape Town (South Africa)! Pretty funny to see it presented as American (They even made sure the power socket in the wall has the US form factor and not the South African one).

Hey, maybe some hope for Infinity Train and Final Space and other excellent shows that got inexplicably yanked from HBO Max. He wants to sell them to other services.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/removed-hbo-max-shows-going-elsewhere/

Dang. I thought they just re-affirmed Chapek 3-4 months ago. I will say, I’m not sorry to see him go and Bob Iger back.

Why would they do that? Wasn’t Iger kind of a jerk?

As far as I can tell, Iger is much more popular than Chapek with the creative talent, movie goers, and park patrons. They all seem overjoyed that Iger is back and Chapek is out. As far as I know the only reason why Iger left the first time is he’s getting old (currently 71), but by many accounts, he hasn’t been happy with how Chapek has been running the company.

I know Hulu always has these really cheap deals for their ad-supported tier and I never go for it because I’d rather get it for a month or three with no ads than get it for a year with ads, but here’s a deal for $12 for a year of ad supported Peacock.

The thing about Hulu is 1.99 per month for Ad supported, and then bundle it with Disney plus for 2.99 a month.

5 dollars a month for Disney+ for a year.

I wouldn’t watch ads if they paid me $10/month, but options are always good for folks with diff’rent strokes.

Wow, that’s an interesting trick. I didn’t know about that. Disney+ doesn’t have an ad tier yet, so you get ad free viewing for $5 a month, that’s very cool.

Edit: And Hulu is indeed running their black friday deal for $1.99 a month for a year like always:

3 days only.

I take back everything I said about Chapek. I guess he was HORRENDOUS.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/z4rc8x/bob_chapek_shifted_budgets_to_disguise_disneys/

There were also rumors in March 2022 that Chapek would be ousted over his mishandling of Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” bill, which saw Disney employees stage a walkout amid Chapek’s refusal to condemn the bill and the revelation that Disney financially supported some of the Florida politicians behind the anti-LGBT law. Also of concern to investors was Scarlett Johansson’s lawsuit against the company for the direct-to-streaming release of Black Widow, which violated the contract she held with the entertainment monolith. According to insiders, many members of the board believe Chapek’s handling of the situation left much to be desired.

Someone please explain:

Back in October I started having to pay $14.99/month for ad-free Hulu. Today I got a notification on my phone saying that Hulu with ads plus a couple of other things was going to the same price as of mid December. It was somewhat strangely worded but that’s what I gathered. I didn’t take any screenshots but I think I remember that ESPN+ was one of the extra things included.

Was it just a come on to get me to sign up to that instead of my current plan? I’m not really interested in ESPN+ and the other thing didn’t float my boat either, not nearly as much as letting me watch without ads.

Yes, Disney basically throws in ESPN+ for free with their bundles. Or I guess if you love ESPN+ you could say they throw in Hulu for free.

In any case, if you sub to any two of the three services, the best option is to get the bundle, which is how they structured their pricing.

Ah, that explains it. Thought I was taking crazy pills there for a moment, that they were raising the rate again just two months later.

Ineffablebob or anyone else who tried this, have you found a way to unsubscribe? I didn’t want to be charged but I couldn’t find any way to unsubscribe from the Best Buy website or from the Apple website, at least on my phone. I tried putting it in “Desktop mode” on my phone to see if I got a different website, but it was the same options.

So today I tried on the Apple TV device itself. According to that, I just got a free trial that expired back on August 22nd. So I guess that explains why I didn’t get charged at the end of November and why I can’t find a way to unsubscribe?

On the one hand, yay, loophole? On the other hand, I don’t want them to fix the bug and then charge me. I’d rather find a way to unsubscribe if I can.

I don’t have an iPhone, but I don’t see why it should be any different from an iPad, where if you’re subscribed it’s under Settings/Apple ID, iCloud, Media & Purchases/Subscriptions.

I was trying on the chrome browser on my Pixel phone to do it on their website. I don’t have an iPhone or iPad.

But on the Apple TV device, I did go to settings/apple id, subscriptions, and that’s where I found an expired subscription with a date of August 22nd. Even though it’s still active and I can view Apple TV+ stuff just fine.

I suppose you could download iTunes on PC and see what it says

I just cancelled it on the Apple TV site. Nothing to do with Best Buy.

Wow