A new RTS - Planetary Annihilation

Made by Uber Entertainment, creators of Monday Night Combat and SMNC.
It seems the founder actually worked in both TA and SupCom.

It seems a TA style of game with multiple simultaneous scenarios/levels (each planet or moon). That said, each one is smallish, you can see clearly the curvature in the screenshots.

Mavor got the idea from playing Risk 2210, which is Risk with a wrinkle: you can deploy to the moon on a separate gameboard. “They basically have this concept of multiple linked playfields in Risk 2210,” Mavor explains. “When I started thinking about the direction that we could take a TA-style game, I thought the idea of being able to literally slam a planet into another planet—go to the asteroids, mine them, bring them in, use them as weapons, use them as resource bases—was a really cool idea. I didn’t see any reason why we couldn’t do that with the game.”/

Later, however, when you can afford to build the enormous, city-sized engine arrays capable of moving that moon, you can send it across the solar system into position near another planet. Now it operates like a gigantic carrier and gun battery, a Death Star that really is a moon.

But it’s a Kickstarter!.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts

I love the look of it.

Kickstarter is up:

And in a way, it’s in space! :D

I know, and you can put engines on planets and move 'em, so I have to wonder if this counts…

There asking for $900,000. That seems like an awful lot – not in terms of how much it would cost to actually develop the game, but just in terms of that’s a lot of money to try to raise.

The guys there are awesome. I’ve had the opportunity to work with some of them. Very excited about the possibilities.

I love love love this idea. TA and SC are two of my favorite RTSs.

Supporting this. Looks fantastic.

Agreed

This is really interesting, but the planets layout is somewhat simple, without two height levels, or other strategical options. Maybe is because this is a mock-up and not the real thing.

I am seriously impressed by the awesomeness of this.

I really like the art style , and… another game I have supported. At this rate I won’t have to buy any games in 2013. :p

If they put droppable space rocks into this game I will kick in. Getting to play Footfall would be frickin’ awesome. (Major old school nerd cred if you get that reference.)

Edit: BELAY THAT, HELMSMAN.

Planetary Annihilation’s rendering engine is brought to you by the team that developed the rendering engines for Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander.

ENGAGE MAXIMUM KICKSTART IN 3… 2… 1… NOW.

(Well, OK, I kicked at the early bird $15 level, because 1) that’s my standard level for games and 2) my wife and I spent WAY too much fucking money this year already.)

Double edit: Hell yeah, space rocks!

Let’s talk about balancing for a second there. Actually, let’s go back one step… If you fire an asteroid at another planet… Are these planet-destroying events? Can you basically raze a planet if you smack something big enough into it?

Mavor: Yes.

I just postes about this in the Kickstarter thread here, but glad to know it’s already got its own thread going. I’m sooooo in.

Definitely in. I looooove Supreme Commander.

Chipped in $95 earlier in the day, seeing buzz on this all over the place now. Looks like a really cool concept, hopefully they reach their goals and can achieve gameplay as cool as what’s shown in the pitch video.

snort

Love the concept, but hated both MNC games, so I’m on the fence still.

Me in a nutshell.

I’m in for $15, but I have no faith it will reach that huge goal.