A Penny Arcade strip you like and why

I like the gently profane use of Jesus in various strips, and I think this one just edges out the Double Dash one: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1999/11/19/

Double Dash: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/12/12/

I still say, “I bring those blue sparks!” after I get the sparks while playing DD with the kids (yes, we still play it).

While I don’t object to purple prose per se – in the hands of a master like Nabokov it can be intoxicating – it is riskier than a more pared-down approach. Tycho’s writing seems most naturally to fall into rhythms of overwrought, Lovecraftian ornateness, which occasionally works quite well (as in the Warhammer strip I linked), but at other times is grating. He does manage some interesting insights about games in his blog/news entries, though.

If that’s the kind of analysis you provided when preparing script synopses I’m entirely unsurprised you’re in need of a career change.

Look up ‘pompous’ in your Websters.

Edit: Oh, I see Tim James likes this one too. :) (Starfire Saga V: Laserion)

Why? Because I think I downloaded this demo.

That, and …

1. there’s a command for “Damage the Vectron-7”, and a separate (two-button) command to “Repair the Vectron-7”
  2. “Super pause”
  3. “Choke pixie”
  4. press “back” to “Advance”
  5. Press: Feel Remorse
  6. “Unused”

Oh, and “I hope you like text” is one of the greatest bits of Tycho-verse.

Laughing… so hard… must not… burst… stitches… hahahhaa

Note also the timing. And the art quality. And oh … one of them is actually funny.

I don’t know if this helps or not, but having talked with Tycho in person several times, he actually talks much like that as well. I think he just has a large vocabulary and uses it freely, and with great influence from the likes of Lovecraft. As a Lovecraft fan, I enjoy his turns of phrase. I think some may be making the error of believing he takes this kind of thing very seriously, when in truth I think he just enjoys doing it.

I think I got the florid beaten out of me in journalism school. I’m able to write like that if I want to; I’m just afraid Dr. Brown will smash my face into the keyboard while I’m doing it. :)

Here are a couple of my top dozen:

The first one is the April fool’s strip. The way it gets progressively worse always makes me laugh:

The second one is more clever, and a play on the resident evil games:

because it’s true. i made a spray based on that with “shoot him” pointing at the medic trading card.

the one word comic where they just mention “daikatana” and they both drop to the floor laughing.

Wow, the second time I’ve been told I deserved to lose my job because I posted an opinion in quartertothree. At least the first time (regarding my less-than-rapturous attitude toward Firefly), the critique was remotely relevant, unlike now. Either way, tough crowd here at Qt3! Hey Lizardking, you know those opinions you have about the Iraq War? GET LAID OFF, MOTHERFUCKER!

Point of fact, metta, it’s not the kind of analysis I provided, because script readers seldom analyze prose style, with the exception of dialogue. They analyze concept, plot, structure, characterization, etc. Not that I’d expect you to have the vaguest clue about that.

And if you thought my comments were “pompous,” may I suggest you have a bizarrely low threshold for what qualifies as such. Purple prose can be great if done well, but it’s risky, and Tycho’s vocab style sometimes annoys me (and is sometimes appropriate to what he’s doing). That’s the extent of what I wrote. If that deserves a bunch of idiotic “RRRRGGGHHH YOU DESERVE TO BE FIRED” snark, then I’m a blue orangutan. The likelier explanation is that you’re an asshole.

The internet comes through again with easy thoughtlessness for a bunch of pixels that are in actuality real people on the other side of the keyboard. On the flip side, I would bet money he really doesn’t want you fired, Gordon. I can’t say I would react any differently, though. There are tons of examples on this very forum of my reading things and taking them to heart much more personally than I should.

On Tycho: I find myself thinking the exact opposite, in that I find his updates to be a touch gratingly purple at times (seemingly deliberately so, as if it had to come out somewhere and the News section is safe) but there is the right balance of expressiveness and economy in the dialogue in the scripting.

Qt3, like the rest of the internet, is full of douchebags. Get a helmet.

Panel three does it for me here…

Another one I really like:

They created this after Activision (makers of Star Trek games) sued Viacom (makers of the star trek show) for doing a really crap job (which had a negative impact on sales for the star trek games i’m guessing).

Ever heard of ‘stuck up?’ You damn intellectual elitist.

My DnD group has started adventuring with this sort of mindset. Screw any attempt at world fidelity, or big bad foozle to defend or dungeons to crawl. Bring on the cave of tits, the multi-breasted horror from the deep and chasm of unending moans.

We are not well people.

My DnD group has started adventuring with this sort of mindset. Screw any attempt at world fidelity, or big bad foozle to defend or dungeons to crawl. Bring on the cave of tits, the multi-breasted horror from the deep and chasm of unending moans.

We are not well people.

The storyline of Gabe getting into D&D with Tycho the gleeful veteran has always been kind of funny to watch unfold.