A Penny Arcade strip you like and why

Another one of my favorites (well, two), with another punchline that has entered real life use.

I’ve always been partial to the truth of this one:

As a bonus, some of the posts in this thread have provided supporting evidence.

The Puzzle Quest one has often been used as an example of the quality of PA vs. Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

PA here.

CAD here.

Note the economy of language.

Just an excellent example of how to make a wordless three-panel work.

They are often at their best when tackling some minor current gaming event or news story.

I have to say, pretty much every strip posted in this thread has made me smile or chuckle at least a little, both when they were first posted, and again now when posted here. I respect that people may not like PA for various reasons, but I really don’t buy the “they don’t have punchlines” argument. These strips absolutely have jokes (even if, as somebody posted earlier, they have the punchline in the first panel instead of the 3rd). So, while you’re certainly entitled to hate on them, I respectfully submit that we’ll have to agree to disagree on that matter.

Seeing that CAD strip reminded me of how hilarious CAD was with the whole mis-carriage plotline, and the subsequent ribbing they received from it.

For the line “Sandwich! I trusted you!”

Remind me to never link you to one of my reviews. There’s nothing wrong with having a love of language, damn it. For that matter, there’s nothing wrong with taking language, pulling its pants down, throwing it on the floor, and taking it from behind in front of a public audience. English is a slut, it loves it that way!

Of course, shortly after this strip, they started giving column space to that stupid Monster Cable shill they used to have around.

True love of language is using it to communicate effectively. Stray much beyond that and you’re into vocabulary fetishism territory.

You can communicate effectively without using a militaristic economy of language. It’s one thing to talk over the heads of your audience, sure, but that doesn’t mean limiting yourself to the same vocabulary you’d use on a fifth grader.

Bullcrap. In fiction, language is whatever you want it to be. English can support Oscar Wilde as easily as it supports Ernest Hemingway. One is not more in love with language than the other, any more than Mozart is more in love with notes than, say, Steve Reich.

Wow. I always knew CAD was the poor man’s Penny Arcade, but that comparison is like a textbook entry.

/walks away with new respect for Gabe and Tycho

Who are you referring to? I don’t remember any Monster Cable shill.

He went by Storm____ (stormsomething, I forget what), had a column called “The Hookup”.

I think xkcd does a better job mocking Tycho’s use of language than anyone here will be able to do. :)

No explanation necessary.

Harsh but true - though I wouldn’t discount Tycho’s role in the process quite as much as that. As a member of a creative partnership, knowing when not to flop your metaphorical art weiner out is just as important. Like he said in ‘Lookouts’ -

In any case, as is usual, my goal is to “accompany” what he is doing, in he musical sense. I’m aware that every word I write must necessarily obliterate comic art, and so I try to make this trade come out even.

Pompous, florid, overblown - yes, but he’s got chops and the class to go with them.

I also give him credit for releasing a podcast in which Gabe tells him they can’t invite Felicia Day to play D&D because he (Tycho) is so besotted with her he’ll make a dick of himself. I mean… ouch.

What happened to Batjew?

I’m not actually concerned about him, because he was unfunny, but I’m hoping there’s some story behind his and that other guy’s sudden disappearance.