A Quiet Place Part II - Now with more sound!

I think that’s also one of the reasons I didn’t enjoy the Quiet Place movies. They’re so wedded to the idea of jump scares being based on a loud noise, which is one of the things I like least in my jump scares! They might as well be rated NFTC by the Motion Picture Association of America: Not For Tom Chick. : )

Honestly, @Rock8man, I’ve gotten so touchy about jumpscares that I find myself turning down the volume when I know one is incoming. I’m all, like, “yeah, okay filmmakers, you’re telegraphing that you’re about to try to startle me, so I’m just going to turn down the volume until you get it out of your system and we can resume with the regular parts of the movie”. It can take a lot of work to be a finicky horror fan.

The “close one eye, squint the other, and turn your head so you can barely see the screen” method doesn’t work for you? ;)

Turning down the volume makes me look slightly less ridiculous, so I tend to opt for that.

But, yeah, when I’m at the theater where they don’t give me access to things like volume and pause buttons, I have no recourse but to twist my face up and look like a gargoyle until the danger has passed.

Talk about getting in character to watch this!

I do the same thing! I’ve gotten super touchy about sudden volume increases. Not sure if it’s just me being old and crotchety or if it’s due to my mild hearing loss.

Don’t sleep on modern sound choices, a big bunch is Nolan and whatnot being stupid.

I keep expecting Nolan to release a movie where people whisper dialog that’s half English and half gibberish, and it’s all subtitled in wingdings font.

Tired: watching jump scare scenes via “modified” techniques.

Wired: Watching movies with spoder scenes through a crack in my hands stopped being effective, so I just stopped watching them altogether!

Heh. Well, I knew from the first movie just how important sound is to this movie. So trying to watch this movie quietly and not wake up my wife and kid wasn’t going to be the optimal experience. So I had to wait until I could actually crank up the volume.

And honestly, the movie was very restrained with its use of volume and sound effects. There is only one jump scare in the movie (and I really liked it, as I said), and the rest again relies on the absence of sound more than actual sound to really build up tension, as well as making you care about the characters, of course, which is the most effective way of building tension and making you worry. I love it.

I’ve said this several times before, so sorry for the repetition, but it’s worth repeating, that when characters you care about go on a journey, you want them to be safe, but the author better not make them too safe if it’s a story worth telling. GRRM is the master of this in the Game of Throne books, and you can tell the filmmakers of The Quiet Place series get it too. Last year I watched The Stand series on Paramount+, and I don’t know if it was Stephen King or the filmmakers, but I didn’t feel they got that balance right in that series at all.