About to make my first Wii VC purchase

I pulled down R-Type. Is it suppose to run that fast? It almost seems like the emulator is running too fast (or I’ve gotten very slow). Maybe I’m just use to the sega master system version.

I also grabbed SFII. The d-pad on the wii classic controller kind of sucks. It seemed kind of mushy and doesn’t spring back to center quick enough for the sf2 moves.

Man it’s such a pain to buy more points so I just bought $50 worth just so I don’t have to go through that pain again.

Wtf? R-Type but no Super Star Soldier? That’s just wrong!

Random thought: Since Wii is doing TurboGrafx games, is Chan & Chan too much to hope for?

I don’t think it’s likely since it did pretty poorly over here on the TG originally, unless they just start porting things to port them.

How much memory does the virtual console have? I’d consider buying a Wii strictly for the VC if I had a chance in hell of downloading Ys Book I & II, but I suspect they’ll not put a CD game up for download. (Though I think the actual CD was only around 175MB and most of that would have been redbook audio, so a bit of MP3 compression and it’d be reasonably small.)

Axelay sure… was Cybernator the shitty one that you had a mech that was brutally, brutally hard? If so could just skip that one.

This is another area where TG-CD games would be great to have. Download was a fantastic shooter, as was Spriggan (from which the Genesis game M.U.S.H.A. was roughly derived). There’s a really nice selection of potential Genesis shooters though. (Wings of Wor, TFIII as mentioned previously, Insector X, whichever Darius games made it to the Genny, and still others that aren’t coming to mind off the top of my head.)

Is Super Metroid out for the console yet? And I wonder if we’ll ever see Chrono Trigger or some of the other SNES RPGs.

Sure, some fans will buy it for every possible platform. But others have never played it before. Publishers have every right to keep making money from their library. Every other medium is like that. Hardware obsolescence being what it is, releasing a new version on a new platform is pretty much the only way to do it.

When The Phantom Menace arrives on VHS only, that’s a cynical move to get all the eager fans to buy now, and buy again when it’s time for the DVD. Charlie Chaplain on DVD is just making old content available to modern viewers.

Why shouldn’t Nintendo keep raking it in from their popular 1980s games? Those profits can help finance new and experimental games. Doesn’t everyone say it’s crazy the way games make a big splash in their first week, before the opportunity to recoup abruptly vanishes? Hence (in part) safe sequels, genre pandering, etc. etc.?

I agree. But it was worth $5 to introduce the original game to my son. Now he keeps bugging me to play it.

Is Dungeon Explorer out yet? That’s a pretty good one. Like Gauntlet but sans Midwayties money grubbing gameplay bullish. I want Legend of the Mystical Ninja to join the VC.

VC question (and possibly Wii-general)

Are WaveBirds useable for VC games? Only certain ones?

A friend reported not being able to play an N64 Castlevania with his WaveBird, and I was wondering if that was normal or if there’s something he may have been doing wrong.

Super Metroid isn’t out yet, but it has been announced. Chrono Trigger is an unknown. Square has announced support for VC, but hasn’t announced any games. If I were a betting man, I’d say that Square (and other publishers who hold the rights to potentially high-demand VC games) are waiting to see the numbers come in on the games that are available, and how the pricing structure pans out. Square (and Nintendo) could make a killing offering their SNES classics at premium prices.

I didn’t realize that there was an N64 castlevania on the VC, but Mario 64 plays just fine with my wavebirds, as do street fighter, etc.

I don’t get this. Isn’t the Wii running a generic SNES emulator? God knows the technology should be mature enough at this point; everything out there has a fan-made SNES emulator for it. I have trouble figuring out why any company would have to wait and see the numbers to justify releasing IP they already own. Is there some up-front fee to Nintendo instead of a straight percentage cut?

I’m sure it is running a straightforward, probably very low level, emulator, but the release schedule has nothing to do with technical problems and everything to do with market conditions. Consider that if Square releases Final Fantasy 3/6j for the VC, they’re probably going to cannibalize sales from the upcoming GBA release of that game. Alternately, if Square just dumped their entire entire SNES catalogue onto VC it would probably dilute the sales of each title. They’re just looking to maximize sales, and doing so takes knowledge of how people use the service, how they respond to different price points, and so on. The end results is that slow, metered releases aren’t going anywhere in the near future.

Yeah, I wouldn’t expect to see Square titles on the VC for a while and if and when they do show up I expect maybe FF4 since it’s been out for over a year already on GBA. I would expect them to hold back Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, and anything else they are eyeing for possible GBA release or full on DS remake.

Same reason I wouldn’t expect to see Final Fantasy Tactics show up on the Playstation download store since they have an upcoming PSP port of it.

Chrono Trigger may as well have never existed in Square’s opinion – I’m kind of skeptical we’ll ever see it on the VC/GBA/DS, let alone a true sequel (the crap that was Chrono Cross deserves no mention).

We need Dungeon Explorer with 5 player online support. That, Motorotor and Ninja Spirit were the best three TG-16 games period. :)

IIRC, Square had it as a poll option as what people wanted to see on GBA along with the unreleased SNES FF titles a couple of years ago. I’m sure they are considering it- with the release of FF6 it would be the next logical step.

I almost wouldn’t be surprised at a DS remake though- the touch screen would almost be a natural for things like the slash and X attacks.

You didn’t have the CD attachment, did you?

Super Castlevania IV for SNES is the only Castlevania currently available on Virtual Console. It works perfectly fine with the Wavebird.

He needs to check that he has the receiver in controller slot one (the one closest to the disc slot/front of the machine) and make sure his Wavebird and his receiver are set to the same channel.

He’ll want to keep the Wiimote handy as you use that to quit/suspend the game and return to the Wii Menu. You just hit the Home button to do that.

The Wavebird works for all Virtual Console games, including those that work with the Wiimote.

I think the offical company line is that the Classic Controller will be usable by all VC games, and that the GameCube controllers will be able to control most VC games. At the present, though, I haven’t seen any games that don’t support the GameCube controller.

On a side note, though, I did have trouble getting Street Fighter 2 running in two player mode with one Classic Controller and one WaveBird. Is there a special trick? Classic Controller was plugged into wiimote 1 (I do have two) and the WaveBird was plugged into GameCube port 1. Maybe I should have tried the classic in Wiimote 2 and the WaveBird as Player 1.

That’s exactly what I had to do with Bomberman… I used 2 classic controllers and 2 wavebirds… but I had to put the wavebirds in controller slot 3 and 4.

worked perfectly.

Yeah, you have to put your Gamecube controllers into the port that matches the player number onscreen. Wiimotes come first, then GC controllers.