About to make my first Wii VC purchase

I don’t know if I just have a shit controller, but these games are damn near unplayable on my old GC pad. I really, really want to get hold of a Classic Controller, but right now I’d be as well off hunting for the Holy Grail.

Eh? I’ve played Gunstar Heroes, Toe Jam & Earl, and Ristar with the Wavebird with no complaints. What are you playing that’s not working out?

I’d like to get a classic controller as well, but I haven’t seen one other than the day of the launch.

A friend of mine has a gamecube to PS2 control adapter that we tested last weekend and it works on the wii as well. We had mario 64 being played on a dual shock. I was amused.

Yeah, what are you playing that the GC controller’s bugging you? I haven’t had any problems with Castlevania, but I could see something like SF2 being better for Classic Controller.

I saw three CC’s today at Target. If I had known they were so scarce, I’d have bought them for you guys.

Why not put in an order at the Nintendo Store? At least that way you’re guaranteed to get one when they have them in stock.

But has anyone downloaded Solomon’s Key yet? I swear, that game was one of the main reasons i was considering the Wii for! I… just can’t get that theme tune out of my head…

I think at my funeral i shall have the theme played, to bug the few people there.

To use Castlevania as an example, the huge, comfy A button doesn’t do anything, while Jump is consigned to the tiny button on the left, and attacking means stretching your thumb all the way to the top, round in a circle. It’s deeply uncomfortable, and a silly amount of travel for the two most important buttons in the game. It’s similar to the problems playing something like Street Fighter 2 on Xbox - the experience screams WRONG CONTROLLER!, even if everything’s mapped for it.

And yes, yes, yes, not insurmountable, and I’m sure nobody else is having similar problems. Unfortunately, that doesn’t matter a whole lot when I’m in front of my TV and feeling bugged* by the controller ;-)

(* Checks spelling. Relaxes.)

Yeah, the primary button maps to the B button on a GC controller, for some inscrutable reason. Haven’t had a problem with that on my arcade games because I’m just holding down the rapid-fire Y button anyway…

Speaking of which, I downloaded Super Star Soldier. Does this game run at twice the original speed or what!? Man, it’s fast! Nice upgrade system, though. I don’t think I’ve ever played SSS before.

Ah, well. Finally tracked down a CC, so no matter.

I ordered one off of Nintendo’s store, and then finally found one in stores a few hours later while shopping for something else. I bought it, and rushed home to cancel the online order through Nintendo, only to find out they were ahead of the game and already shipped it. So, now I have two, and I think I’m gonna keep both for two player VC games w/o having to use a wavebird.

Anyway, I guess the moral is, Nintendo tells you availability is limited in their online store, but they filled my order pretty quickly.