Aceru Combatu 7!

Oculus DK2 and CV1 owner here :) I pretty routinely play DCS and very occasionally War Thunder, but my go-to ‘flight’ sim game for VR is definitely ED.

Good man, doing valley runs in VR under scattered cloud is great, isn’t it? I wish DCS had clouds like AC7… Il2 BoX’s come pretty close tho.

The clouds in AC7 are what made me drool over a damn console game. Those volumetric clouds are just amazing and I’d love to experience them in VR.

Well there are a few awesome PSVR exclusives so…

I cannot argue with you there my friend, I am an aviation geek but you surely take the aviation simulation geek crown for now, no contest! To demonstrate my aviation geekery street cred see my custom built array of blackbirds representing every major variant.

Back on topic I am waiting patiently (as I do have a PS4) for the Ace Combat 7 PC release. More than happy to slum it in sim lite with beautiful airplanes!!

Is that some kind of ramjet drone mounted on bottom left’s back?

edit: oh i googled “ramjet drone” and up it popped

That is fucking amazing. What a the tail stinger on the top leftmost one?

I had the Revel model (complete with drone) hanging from a wire in my bedroom when I was a kid. Kelly Johnson built sexy aircraft.

Yep, it’s a D-21 drone. You can see one at the Blackbird airpark in California. Also in Seattle you can see the one remaining M-21 (M for mothership) with the D-21 mounted on the back. My model is a representation of this single surviving aircraft.

Here is a good brief write up on this one:

https://airwingmedia.com/articles/2012/big-tail-one-of-a-kind-sr-71-blackbird/

It’s all come flooding back, i think im more used to see the pics of it mounted under a B-52 wing but i can picture a 80s tech-thriller/game/something in my library somewhere whose cover art is an artists impression of one leaving the Blackbird. Special internet pats on the back if anyone can find it.

and it was certainly cooler looking than actually any good eh…

The first one failed to turn around and continued straight on, crashing somewhere in the Soviet Union.[20] Another test flight was conducted on 20 February 1970 in a successful attempt to correct any problems. The second operational mission, however, was not until 16 December 1970. The D-21B reached Lop Nor and back to the recovery point, but the hatch had a partial parachute failure and was lost at sea with its photographs.[17]

During the third operational mission, on 4 March 1971, the D-21B flew to Lop Nor and returned, and released the hatch, which deployed its parachute, but the midair recovery failed and the hatch fell into the water. The destroyer that tried to retrieve the hatch ran it down and it sank. The fourth, and last, operational flight of the D-21B was on 20 March 1971. It was lost over China on the final segment of the route over China’s Yunnan province;[21] wreckage was found by local authorities. In 2010, after being in the junkyard of China Aviation Museumfor years, the wreckage was moved to the exhibition area

Just chiming in to say that’s really cool–thanks for sharing!

@midnight.mangler As our resident blackbird man, could you share

A) the most probable theory explaining the blackbirds retirement,
B) the most fun theory explaining the blackbirds retirement?

Cheers

Also, holy fuck @ that big tail story. That’s some insane engineering! Yeah well just articulate the whole thing.

Seems to me anyone with that many models of the X-Men’s jet is more of an X-Men geek.

Excelsior!

-Tom

Mangler, that is freaking inspired

How long did it take to make these? Blended and weathered in meticulous detail… airbrush I assume?

That’s what I’m talking about! Flight sim games are to regular PC games as PC games are to console games. The masters of the PC master race show their colors, lol.

Isn’t the X-men plane also a jump jet? Hey @midnight.mangler one more model to go…

He’s missing this one as well.

What an awesome toy! I love the box. “Cobra/Enemy!”.

Is that yours? Looks rare and vintage…

I just started my first ever Ace Combat (any number) campaign. Simple arcade controls, check. And wait a minute, I have how many missiles? Okaaaay…

Seriously, it’s a lot of fun.

I see there’s a plane that needs to get unlocked by being promoted? How do I get promoted? With points? But I’m a convict. I don’t even have a rank anymore…

If the whole game was VR, I’d re-buy it on PS4 (and pick up PSVR) in a second. Because I’m that big a flight sim geek. But not for 3 missions, alas.

If they bring out more (or patch in VR multiplayer!), do all the PSVR units on the shelves now fix the “doesn’t pass through HDR” problem?