Activision's destruction of Guitar Hero continues: Metallica

If Kyuss is really in there I’ll buy the game no matter what. I also love the old Metallica albums, so that’s a plus.

And I want my “Kill Bon Jovi” sticker for my plastic guitar.

Has the developer been announced?

The once-slated-to-be-shuttered Underground Development (formerly Z-Axis) have been working on a single band-focused GH title since earlier, and I assume this is it.

Er… if this is a standalone game, will it work with existing Guitar Hero World Tour DLC? I’d assume so for Death Magnetic DLC if nothing else, but it confirms the madness of having multiple SKUs.

New trailer. If it wasn’t already (I forget), I guess it’s safe to consider Master of Puppets confirmed.

Second bass pedal + splitter for preorder bonus. Not a bad bonus, actually, but I’m still waiting on the details of the title (namely the importability either way) before I decide whether to rent or buy. Too bad that really good bass pedal people keep suggesting doesn’t work with the GHWT drums.

How is that a “minor technicality?”

Because wumpus is an asshole.

Also, if you look at the “mainstream rock” or “modern rock” charts rather than just the Billboard Hot 100, Metallica has 16 top 10 singles, most of which charted higher than Enter Sandman. When you talk about the Billboard Hot 100, you’re comparing them to stuff that shouldn’t be entering this discussion.

How is that a “minor technicality?”

The OP inferred that there were multiple songs that did better than Sandman, when there was exactly one: Until It Sleeps, and it did only 6 positions better. None of their other songs even come close; as I recall the next highest was something like #33.

When you talk about the Billboard Hot 100, you’re comparing them to stuff that shouldn’t be entering this discussion.

We were talking about the scale of their hits, in terms of reaching average everyday mainstream Americans. Thus, the biggest chart, the Hot 100. I mean, I’m sure I could name a lot of bands that had multiple Modern Rock or Country chart hits that the average person has never heard of.

I still maintain the average person has probably heard “Enter Sandman”, and that’s about it. Single point chart oddities notwithstanding (not sure I’ve ever heard “Until it Sleeps”), it is their biggest hit.

EDIT: also, because I’m an asshole.

here you go. It took a while to grow on me, much like a lot of the post black album stuff.

Full track list

Metallica songs

* All Nightmare Long
* Battery
* Creeping Death
* Disposable Heroes
* Dyers Eve
* Enter Sandman
* Fade To Black
* Fight Fire With Fire
* For Whom The Bell Tolls
* Frantic
* Fuel
* Hit The Lights
* King Nothing
* Master of Puppets
* Mercyful Fate (Medley)
* No Leaf Clover
* Nothing Else Matters
* One
* Orion
* Sad But True
* Seek And Destroy
* The Memory Remains
* The Shortest Straw
* The Thing That Should Not Be
* The Unforgiven
* Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
* Wherever I May Roam
* Whiplash

If you downloaded the “Death Magnetic” album for Xbox and PS3, those ten songs will play in their entirety in the full game mode. PS2 and Wii versions (coming in the Spring, most likely in early May) will include “Broken Beat & Scarred,” “Cyanide” and “My Apocalypse” since they are not compatible with the Death Magnetic downloadable content.

Other artists:

* Alice In Chains - No Excuses
* Bob Seger - Turn The Page
* Corrosion of Conformity - Albatross
* Diamond Head - Am I Evil?
* Foo Fighters - Stacked Actors
* Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather
* Kyuss - Demon Cleaner
* Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesdays Gone
* Machine Head - Beautiful Mourning
* Mastodon - Blood And Thunder
* Mercyful Fate - Evil
* Michael Schenker Group - Armed and Ready
* Motorhead - Ace of Spades
* Queen - Stone Cold Crazy
* Samhain - Mother of Mercy
* Slayer - War Ensemble
* Social Distortion - Mommy's Little Monster
* Suicidal Tendencies - War Inside My Head
* System of a Down - Toxicity
* The Sword - Black River
* Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back in Town

This’ll be worth it for the “other artists” alone, for me.

Pretty good list of songs. I can think of a few Metallica songs I’d like to see that are missing, but they have a lot of good stuff. I’m REALLY glad the Death Magnetic DLC will integrate into the main game. The other artists’ songs look pretty good as well. Time to preorder.

I need this for the Kyuss and Suicidal Tendencies songs alone. But the Metallica tracklist is awesome - Sanitarium, Orion, Whiplash !!

Ok, I’m getting it.

Slayer songs. Awesome. I wonder how the double bass will play out on those fragile pedals.

Well, they’ve got the right Slayer album this time, but it will be interesting to see how many songs in general make the transition from great to hear to great to play. I still think something like Seasons in the Abyss (the song) or some of the slower songs on the album would be a better fit, but in general it seems like a solid tracklist.

The absence of full integration with GHWT is a big strike against it. Judging from the preening self confidence evident in that Forbes cover article, Activision has everything under control and has nothing to learn from that shameless knock-off, Rock Band. I’m thinking rental, but I may cave for the extra flimsy bass pedal.

This is, sadly, the biggest reason I’m likely to purchase it.

Dude, you think the average person knows 10 Bob Seger songs. :)

(I know 3: Night Moves, Like a Rock, and Old Time Rock and Roll, and looking at Wikipedia I recognize Rock and Roll Never Forgets).

Useless anecdotal evidence time!

My roommate who is completely not a consumer of metal and just listens to generic radio just sang the chorus or some relevant bit from all the Black Album singles (to be fair, she doesn’t know the titles of any of them except Sad But True and The Unforgiven), which she says she mostly remembers because MTV played the videos for them a lot back then. She also remembers One, again for the creepy video (“This was the one with the guy with no face”).

OK, that’s an awesome song list. If they replaced Frantic with Four Horsemen, it would be perfect. Close enough

OK, that’s an awesome song list. If they replaced Frantic with Four Horsemen, it would be perfect. Close enough! I’m all over this when it comes out.

After seeing that song list, I’m definitely going to rent this.

My name is Sluggo and I approve this set list!

Personally, the big wins for me are Disposable Heroes, Creeping Death, Master of Puppets, Fuel, and – I’m not kidding – Frantic (maybe they’ll even do a re-mix for the game, heh). I’m also happy to see Fade to Black and Sanitarium on the list. Out of the non-Metallica songs, Stone Cold Crazy is a nice win, and the Boys are Back in Town is a great pick.

If Metallica fans are going to be disappointed, I think it’s going to be the lack of more from Kill 'Em All, especially Four Horsemen. Overall, really, I think I’m just glad they didn’t totally botch the song choices. I had some initial concerns it was going to be a ton of slow crap from the Black/Load eras, but there’s enough thrash from the early days to make me happy.