Advice for purchasing a new PC monitor

It’s tough to say what you would enjoy/prefer when you have no frame of reference Only ever had a 1080p/60Hz panel and never even seen an ultrawide. I will say I pretty much only use my PC for gaming, no video editing, no photoshopping, no real multitasking.

If your GPU can absolutely lock the framerate at 60fps on that 3440x1440 panel, it will look and feel better. Otherwise, g-sync is the way to go.

I went with a PG348Q.

Went up to 100 refresh rate no problem. Panel looks fine except slight backlight bleed on top left.

The difference between 1080p and 1440p does seem pretty obvious. Doom and Witcher 3 look great, work on the super wide screen and run great.

This weekend i’ll be taking advantage of my new found graphics to setup my WoW UI.

If you could only have one of either the widescreen/extra horizontal resolution, or the g-sync/high refresh, which would you choose?

Gsync/high refresh without any doubt.

I don’t; want to go back to 1080p, but i also dont want to go back to 60 fps. Widescreen is a cool addon to me and not an essential. I’m glad i got it, but if i had to choose…

@krayzkrok take a look at Toms Hardware’s buying guide. They are are reliable testing source and their guide gives a wide range of recommendations based on budget. There are a few other sites if you google “best gaming monitor” but I’m not as sure of their trustworthiness.

If you’re on a budget and you don’t need the fanciest features you can get a really solid TN panel for much cheaper than IPS. I know IPS is what you’re looking for but if you’re only using it for gaming/non-professional workloads the advantages of IPS over TN start to seem less important.

The Microsoft Store here has those 34" Dells on display with games running on them. Nice… I think it’s win-win really, whichever set of enhancements you end up with.

I also think the reason we think of monitors as long term purchases is because for the last 20 years they’ve barely improved. They went from CRT to flat screen and from 640 x 480 to 1080p. WHy would you upgrade more than every 8 years? But now there are high and variable refresh rates, widescreens and 4k, with OLED and ‘HD’ coming along. I think if they build better stuff, we’ll all cheerfully buy it often enough.

… and I’m just getting in to Enderal and thinking this would look pretty great in Widescreen…

I certainly kept my Dell 3007 for many years (9?) before going with the Dell 34" last summer. I wish it had Gsync support because I gave that a try with a 28" TN 4k panel and really liked it (and it’s freakin’ hard to describe to people, at least for me). These threads make me want to upgrade again, but getting 1440p with Gsync is expensive (got the Dell 34" for $800).

This is what I’m talking about right here. Up until a few days ago I thought $600 on a monitor was laughably expensive, now I"m looking at $800 28" panels and (gulp) $1200 ultrawides and having to reevaluate my priorities. My 2016 Samsung 55" UHD panel only cost me $500 for crying out loud, how does a monitor less than half that size cost twice as much! Where is the massive drop in price vs size/quality in PC monitors that we’ve seen in TV screens?

[quote=“Murbella, post:147, topic:75674, full:true”]
I went with a PG348Q.

Went up to 100 refresh rate no problem. Panel looks fine except slight backlight bleed on top left.

The difference between 1080p and 1440p does seem pretty obvious. Doom and Witcher 3 look great, work on the super wide screen and run great. [/quote]

Welcome to the club! My monitor has that top left backlight bleed too, but it’s not noticeable in use. I’m still experimenting with calibration, so let me know if you find something you particularly like. Here’s a resource for you: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#the_database

Looked up an FPS test on the 1070 on a 1440p and a 4k ultra wide and it looks like the 1070 struggles to get near 60 fps on the 4K ultra wide like @Desslock’s (and you’re running a new Titan right?). So I think that means stick to something like the Asus or Acer 28" 1440p panels which the 1070 handles easily.

If you do photo or video work, don’t get a curved monitor-- it distorts the display and is not suitable.

Late to the thread, but that’s what I was thinking reading your earlier posts. I have a 1070 and the Acer 27 Gsync and very happy with that combo. I’d be concerned that the 1080 would be the better choice for going to a higher resolution than that.

With what the GSynch cost you you could have got the 1080 :)

Yes, but hopefully the monitor will last 10-15 years or even more. I’m never going to want a larger monitor than that for the particular location, nor will I ever have need for a higher resolution than 1440p. unless nVidia drops Gsync at some point, it should provide a premium quality experience for a very long time, long after the 1070/1080 are scrap.

I just ordered the Dell ultrawide. It was back down to $699… now to see how the 970 handles it :)

As I said upthread I think monitors traditionally lasted a long time in part because they didn’t get better over time. To the extent that changes, this might not be a long term purchase. Or it might… who knows?

@Alistair if it arrives before that deal ends please update the thread with your impressions, I’m very much interested in how it holds up

I actually got it from Amazon, where it’s $699 right now and a Discover card gives 5% off…

I don’t think the ASUS PB278Q is actually an IPS monitor, if that matters to you. It has an IPS sister monitor, which is the ASUS PB279Q. Both are very well reviewed though.