Advice for purchasing a new PC monitor

So, let me see if I understand this correctly. You gave me grief for buying a Gsync monitor and a 1070 (instead of a 1080) then spent the exact same amount of money for a monitor with no Gsync and a higher resolution that you intend to run on a 970. Yeah, that makes total sense.

Well, I’m starting with the 970 :)

For those of you who already have one of these fancy G-sync panels, how much shopping around for deals did you do? How often do these things go on sale?

I can’t play a lot of video games because of motion sickness, so would a higher refresh rate and/or resolution and/or ultra widescreen make a difference do you think? I’m currently using a 1920x1080 and 60fps monitor.

I got a Dell S2716DG 27" 144Hz G-sync monitor for $350, so I did pretty well. It’s admittedly a TN panel, but man, TN has come a long way in the past 10 years; viewing angles are pretty great and to my eyes it looks better on still images than my IPS Korean QX2710. Confirmation bias, perhaps, but I’m happy.

It also has extremely slim bezels; looks positively tiny next to my old 27" Korean monitor, even though the screen area is identical.

My next monitor will be a 4K OLED super-wide crazy beast, but the Dell will last me for 2-3 years no problem.

I think this is a personal thing, but I suspect ultra wide might make it worse. I honestly think investing in a video card might be a better choice (depending on what you have now, with the goal of keeping framerate consistently high).

I just recently built a new rig so I’m sporting a GTX970.

I have one of these and it’s really nice. Color reproduction for photo editing and video work is great. I also use it with an Xbox One in my office. :)

I don’t have it too bad, but I get a little nauseous in some FPSes as well. The things that have worked best for me, none of which have anything to do with ultrawide monitors:

1. Increase the FOV, usually as far as you can. Most games have ludicrously tight defaults of like 80-90. Try 120.
  2. Kill the fucking headbob if you can. This is the absolute worst. Developers, knock it off! Or at least give us a toggle (thanks Arkane!).
  3. Framerate uber alles. The higher the framerate, the less strain on your eyes.

Probably nothing you didn’t already know, but I’m just waiting for assets to cook anyway ;)

See, that’s part of why I think ultra wide might be a problem. The game engine isn’t going to give you wider FOV because you have an ultra wide monitor, is it? So doesn’t that mean that your FOV/width is going to be worse if you go that route?

Butter-smooth framerates help with motion sickness too-- hitching can induce dry heaves. Try a faster videocard and/or a freesync/g-sync monitor.

So buying a FreeSync monitor when you have a nVidia GPU is stupid right? So I’m stuck paying an extra $200 for pretty much the same technology on every monitor?

Correct.

And then that’s the week Nvidia announce Freesynch support :)

Hmm. So I have this ultrawide Dell, which my 970 drives ‘ok’. I’m feeling some eyestrain though. Does anyone ever get that from low framerates? Anything else that could be the cause…?

The monitor otherwise does what it says on the tin. I am… not completely sure moving from 19 x 12 to 34 x 14 is worth $750 though. Hmm. I’ve tried a number of games - Enderal, Crysis 3, GTA V, Tomb Raider, the BF 1 Alpha, AC Rogue. They all look good, but they all looked good before :/

I’ve really been enjoying my ROG SWIFT PG348Q. It took me a little while to get used to it, but now the wide resolution is something i really enjoy in games. In fact it has got to the point where i am hugely disappointed to find games that don’t support it. It feels like back when monitors started to switch to wide screen and content didn’t support that yet.

My current ire is directed at overwatch and metal gear solid 5. Both of which embarrassingly present you with black bars on the left and right.

Still, it works great for WoW, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, countless other games. Especially in wow where i can put a bunch of extra ui elements on the sides without blocking the screen. What is this, the year 2014?

I also really like programming on it. I went from 2 24s to this monitor and one 24 and it is a really great improvement.

Don’t know if this $600 LG deal would appeal to you at all…

If you don’t mind getting a 60hz IPS monitor check out Slickdeals.

Seems like every other day there is an amazing $150-250 price point area deal on a LG or Samsung IPS monitor.

Even the 4K resolution IPS monitors are going for cheap these days.

If you fancy ultrawide but prefer high refresh rates to high resolutions, LG apparently have this 21:9 1080P, 144Hz thing coming out…

So I picked up a 40" 4K TV for my monitor. (https://amzn.com/B01A0LGV06).

As alluded to above, my plan was to run it at 1080P because I can’t afford a GTX1080. It’s gorgeous at 4k, but looks pretty bad at 1080p. Worse than my 36" 1080P TV I was using before at any rate. That’s with the TV doing the down-scaling. Supposedly I can have my GTX970 do the down-scaling? I don’t see it in the nVidia control panel.

The windows desktop is tiny. The UI zoom fixes it, but causes WoW in full-screen windowed mode to lose its shit.

Trying to figure out what my options here are that don’t involve blowing > $2k on a new computer.