Age of Empires II HD Coming to Steam

Thank you all for your early support; already running #3 on the Steam best sellers list today.

Kevin, can you talk a bit about how this came about? Other people dug up the old Mike Pritchard posts, but can you add more to the story, if it’s not too much of a hush-hush thing? Is it even accurate as far as Pritchard doing a bunch of work on this?

I’d love to know the hairy details since this seems like such a no-brainer to fans, but took so long to happen.

I presume stuff like Castle Blood will be via the workshop?
Do we get fuss-free AI mods with the Steam Workshop as well?

EDIT: Forgot

Here’s the link.

Ohhh…this will be a nice $4 purchase on a Steam sale.

I like the way you think…

Silly person. You just use three monitors.

This is a custom PC I built a year ago, decided it was surplus to requirements. At the time I just thought I’ll buy one later if needed, year has gone by…

Oh, more questions here. Will this still have LAN support? Or was that removed?

I’ll be happy to divulge, Telefrog, but I need to make sure I don’t have that information promised as an exclusive to anyone. Regardless I’ll post it here soon.

But…what if you wanna play Rise of Nations or No One Lives Forever or EF2000 or TIE Fighter?! What then? What? Then?

Something about the music, pasting this from the Steam forums:

The music for both (disc) game and expansion, was Redbook audio. The music was awesome. LOOM on Steam is missing the Redbook audio. Are we going to miss out here too, or…? Rhetorical question I guess, since nobody here is capable of an official answer before release.

I guess they could have converted the tracks to MP3 and have them play as needed? I think that was done for a few other such games. I think there’s a few on GOG that did this. Screamer? Out of curiosity, does anyone know any such games? Is there a list? If you guys could list games that did this, I’d really appreciate it.

Wow… I’m torn because I always wanted to play AoEII, but I’m also quite surprised that they’d ask $20 for this game.

I’m a huge RTS fan, and I still think a game like Rise of Nations has held up very well over the years (only I can’t play it on my widescreen laptop). Does this game hold up well compared with something like RoN?

I’m imagining crazy-overlapping mobs of sprite knights with annoying, fiddly unit AI that requires some intense APM just to get the darn things to do what you want them to do… Is that wrong?

Heh, I’m gladly buying it at release so I can play multiplayer with qt3 people. I’m so pumped for this.

I know GOG did this for Total Annihilation.

I’m not sure if they converted the tracks to MP3, or what method they used, but the CD tracks from HoMM2 play great in the GoG version. Same with the great redbook audio tracks during Descent 2. That’s why I was really hoping that Jedi Knight would make it to GoG eventually. It’s so much better with the redbook audio tracks from the CD, as compared to the Steam version, which doesn’t have those.

No problem. I’m just super-curious and I’m sure others would love to know the dev story. If you post it someplace else, I’d love to see a link to it here.

Hope the high sales continue! Old-school economic RTS games has always been my favorite genre’ it’s been dreadful watching it evolve into tactical RTS and MOBA. I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Age of Empires series as it essentially pulled me into the games industry. Not sure I’ll be able to reach the top of the leaderboard like on the Zone 15 years ago, but it’ll be fun trying.

Please do Age of Empires: Rise of Rome too! Also, release expansion packs with new civs.

I’d love to see this for Age of Mythology too. One of my all time favorite RTSs.

Oh heck yes. AoM is the best Age game of all time. Then a version of Rise of Nations with better graphics and a new soundtrack or higher bitrate. The music in the Rise of games always sounded downsampled and fuzzy.