Age of Empires IV

And now R.E.M. is playing in my head with slightly different lyrics.

Well, everybody poops
Sometimes
Everybody farts

Good grief this looks pretty.

Ugh, this is being done by Relic? Enthusiasm tempered. Sure does look good, though.

When is it due?

Why do we have AoE 2 DE if this is coming out?

I was looking for that myself, doesn’t seem to have an announced date yet - the game player trailer just came out is all we get for now, I think.

@KevinC I like Relic, though tempered is a good word to use more recently. They know how to make an RTS though, I’ll give them that. Hopefully it’s a bit more … traditional than the last Dawn of War fiasco was.

@legowarrior I would imagine to pump up interest for this new game’s eventual release?

For my part, the last game that I felt like Relic really nailed was the original Company of Heroes. I felt like they dropped the ball with expansions to that title and it’s been a continual downward slide since then. I hated Dawn of War 2 aside from the co-op campaign and CoH 2 and DoW 3 were both total letdowns.

Anyway, not trying to be a downer. Seeing the Relic name at the end of the trailer was just like a glass of cold water thrown on my face. Nothing to say they can’t nail this one.

AoE2 has a very dedicated and vocal community of longtime players. They are some of the best advocates for the franchise as a whole.

Which they have because AoE 2 is still a fantastic game that few, if any, RTS ever topped for that style.

Seriously, late period isometric strategy games tend to hold up well, better than most early 3D ones of the same period.

Dawn of War 2 does hold up with Co Op comp stomps as well, and in some ways is better then DoW 1. On some ways.

Should I pick up AoE II DE? I’ve never played an AoE game, but I do like RTS games (and haven’t played one in some time). Never really played the “Age of Empires” stuff really, not that I recall. I think I played Age of Mythology at one point and I remember digging it, though.

So… if you like RTS games, I say its worth a flyer. It is a well designed game, with decent variety of units.

I loved it back in the day. Still have the old manuals floating around. It falls into the same category as Starcraft. Top of its day, and well designed enough that some of the modern niceties that are absent are worth working through. But I am biased. I had many dozens of hours back in high school playing it.

I’m a little disappointed this is in 3D.

Thanks for the reply, that sounds like fun. I see the definitive edition is $20 on Steam so I’ll wishlist it and see if I can get it on sale at some point when less stuff is dropping.

Some people got 25% off coupons. I think I sent my to my brother, but it came up in the AoE 2 thread.

If you own HD, you can get the game for 25% by purchasing the bundle.

You’re kidding? I think it looks glorious.

I can understand being disappointed in something 3D not being 2D all day long, but this does look glorious.

I don’t deny it looks great, but in a 3D game, is the player going to have to deal with the camera? If it controls like a 2D game, but just happens to be 3D, like Age of Empires 3 or Age of Mythology, then that’s fine. Or if it controls like Supreme Commander with tactical zoom, then that’s the ideal. But just the way the trailer was traveling along the landscape, it reminded of games like Total War.

Oh I see what you mean - yeah, I don’t want to deal with spinning the camera, either, but that camera stuff was “probably” just to showcase the game’s engine in the trailer, and won’t be reflective of real gameplay. Fingers crossed.

My hope would be zoom like Ashes and Supreme Commander.