Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

Dvar In-depth deep dive:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/age-of-wonders-planetfall-–-dev-diary-21-the-dvar-faction-indepth.1132179/

Thoughts?

I think they look rather pimp.

Well, I mentioned it up thread when they had the video reveal of the Dvar but they seem awesome to me. I like the unit design quite a lot, and as a guy that plays Dwarf units and characters in games like these, I expect they will be my first race.

E: Just an FYI, I stumbled on your asking (what looks like) me directly a question by random. If you just reply to the thread I don’t get alerted you addressed me, but if you reply to my own post I will. The odds were good I’d come check this particular thread out though when I saw a new post, so maybe you figured on that. :)

Thoughts in general from everyone.

Anyway don’t worry about replying or not replying.

Each new faction and video seems more and more polished.

This game is gonna be so good. I hope it sells like hotcakes.

More info, and an hr long dev video, showcasing the DVAR:

Video

Looks pretty good. .

The 43 min YouTube archive is here:

Just starting to watch this now… be back with impressions in a bit!

Operations Part 1 (Strategic Ops)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/age-of-wonders-planetfall-–-dev-diary-22-operations-part-i-strategic-ops.1137841/

These are the “spells” of the game, you research and can “cast” them in combat and on the game map. The Strategic Ops are the ones you use on the Strategic Map, which is the normal gameplay area, and these are the focus of today’s diary.

Very cool. I like that you first “prime” an operation on the strategy map, allowing you to hold several “primed” and ready to use ops as you wish once you pay for them (unlike in AoW3 when you might have a powerful spell redy to rock but your target wasn’t in place yet, so you had to just wait and not cast anything else until your target was in view).

I’m also a big fan of high level strategy layer maps (see stuff like Warhammer II), and this game has one when you scroll back far enough that looks very useful, even as a work in progress peek.

The magic system in aow3 wasn’t as intricate, in depth or as fun as it could have been.

This looks like a big improvement.

Wow very cool.

Part 2, Covert Ops!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/age-of-wonders-planetfall-–-dev-diary-23-operations-part-ii-covert-ops-doctrines-prototypes.1140520/

I was only able to skim it, but it sounds like a good system. Like just about any strategy player, I’m leery of anything that smells of espionage, but this seems better than the way most games implement in where they are blowing up buildings and other annoying shit constantly.

Focusing instead on fabricating claims, damaging diplomatic reputation, sensor jamming, etc sounds more interesting and less annoying to me. The devil’s always in the details so we’ll see what it’s like to actually play, but this sounds pretty good for an espionage type system.

News!

Read all about it!

Basically - road-map of sorts for 2019.

Awesome stuff as always. Many of those topics I am very excited for.

It’s what I used when teaming with Tom during the AOW3 playthrough on the site.

I may need to fire this game up, again. Just so, so good.

I’m currently working my way through a large 2v2v2v2 map as a less-than-optimal Tigran Juggernaut and it’s still SO GOOD OMG.

Musketeers are still amazing. Not as insanely OP as they were pre-nerf, but still a hard counter to so many things.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/age-of-wonders-planetfall-dev-diary-24-the-autonom-npc-faction.1145017/

These guys seem fun. :)

I was really hoping for the sentence to end thusly:

Network Controller: Next to the aforementioned Network ability it has a cool “Contact Tech Support” action, which …

advises the player to restart their computer.

That would have been awesome!!