Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

Dvar are fantastic. Never stop prospecting!

I didn’t think I’d like dvar much but they won me over by the end of the campaign. Don’t think I’ll pair them with Xenoplague next time though.

Summoning @Scotch_Lufkin.

Monsignor Lufkin, you’re going to love this patch.

Yeah, I was skimming the notes and it looks amazing. So is this available right now?

When I first heard about them I thought I would hate them.

Dwarves?

Russian Dwarves?

Russian capitalist caricature Dwarves?

Like wtf?

Then I ended up adoring them.

I do think their Baron is a bit not quite there, but that is probably because the rest of the line up is very solid.

And every race has a questionable unit imho.

Vanguard have that Walker, universally not popular, but probably because that Tank…wow that Tank, Overcharge laser, plus some mods…oh yeah!.

I believe so. Can’t confirm myself until later, have other things to do!

You ever hear back on why you can’t use the Retry option after an autoresolve in MP, especially when all the players were on the same team? If my friend and I have units in the same battle, the Retry option is disabled. I’m still finding it super annoying, since MP is about the only way I play this game. :)

I’ve done 2 campaign missions (Dvars and Kir’Ko) and both turned out to be much shorter than I’ve expected. I’ve only destroyed an enemy faction in one of them, and both had 2 factions both of which were very cooperative if you’re going peaceful way. And to win you basically had to visit 2 locations on the map, the last of them didn’t even had combat.

Of course nothing stops me from going into all-out war. And it’s probably not that easy on higher difficulty (I’ve played on 2 out of 3). But from what I’ve seen it doesn’t affect the story or anything. I hope later campaigns are more demanding cause it’s strange if staged scripted missions are less epic than simple scenarios.

It’s time to play Dvar 2 :)

That one took me a few tries.

From what I saw in a cursory glance at the notes about this update in steam it didn’t read like it was anything dramatic.

Did I miss something like significant enough to prompt me to dive into yet another scenario campaign to check it out?

In the early phase of a Phoenix Point (too early to tell what I make of it) campaign I’d temporarily set aside to run yet another one of these if there’s something I should check out (it doesn’t take much as I already like this more than most anything else I’ve played this year).

The big thing is the auto-explore feature.

Speaking of, it’s…fine. It gets confused. I had four scouts out doing their thing and ended up with about 80% of the map explored before they all got way too interested in investigating their own shadows. Good enough if I feel like being lazy.

I assume the AI opponent’s scouts use the same auto-explore routines, so at least you might all be on the same 80% of the playing field.

The AI doesn’t need to scout.

Which is why invisibility is a con job in AoW3 😭😭😭

I’m trying for my first Unifier victory (xbox version, no expansion, difficulty Hard) and currently all of my opponents are maxed out at 800 reputation, and I even bribed them to “set aside our differences” in case that was making any difference, but none of these bozos will form an alliance with me because they all have “other plans” that would conflict with such an alliance, even though they’re all already at whatever the status is just below ally with me. Do they just hate run-on sentences, or what?

How do I get these jerks to finally ally with me? I guess I could spend the next 40-50 turns researching and building pylons and triggering my secret tech victory, but that’s 40-50 turns I’d rather be doing something else.

Really love to hear an answer to this, I’ve been discussing diplomacy on the steam forum and I was mentioning among my examples of things I did not understand was how I could be turned down when in good relations with an AI. This AI and I are at war with everyone else. We’re on good terms, and I’ve offered them like either 200 or 400 cosmite or 3-4000 energy (in other words, an insane amount that is rated a very bad deal for me), and all I ever get back is the same response you get. Other plans.

The AI seeing everything, the AI refusing to ally, all of these things just sound like frankly hacky shortcuts to make the game harder.

I get that they “have to do it” because “AI is hard,” but it is still just disappointing.

Yeah, that is one of my biggest gripes in these games is that the overall strategic / diplomatic AI is so bad. There are stupid things it does that should not be that hard to do. IE: An AI has a war on 2 fronts, and then declares a war on a 3rd front. A powerful faction wants to ally with you, yet you refuse. Starting wars arbitrarily when peace is far more profitable.

I just get bothered by how things affect the game.

I started a game with a random leader/civ. Got one that has a lot of stealth, units that can’t be seen in hexes, etc.

Then I realized it’s all pretty much a joke, because the AI sees everything. And frankly, that just makes it kind of disappointing, and just deflated me from even wanting to play it.

Just kind of excessively bummed, I guess.

Iirc, I can double check after the weekend, but trade willingness is influenced by Value, Opinion, Casus Belli and the AI’s Plans. They also won’t accept the same trade for 5 turns if they already declined it once.

If they are refusing things of equal value then its likely that the collected casus Belli is causing them to be less willing. Trades like Overcoming Difficulties won’t change the AIs plans immediately but take a turn to take effect. In the same vain, progress towards a certain victory condition or launching it also will cause the AI to reevaluate its plans in either hostile or friendly directions.

Again, not 100% sure so take it as you will.