Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

Oh, I didn’t know this. I’ve been hammering this offer every turn for a while as I pumped up my reputation with various factions 50~100 points at a time, starting when they were somewhere in the 400s. So this could very well be the reason.

I’ll give them some space for a while and come back to them and see how things are going at that time. I still need to take over a couple minor faction dwellings, which means convincing a couple of the major AI factions to trade a couple colonies to me since there’s nowhere else to build nearby, so I’ll have something to do for the next several turns anyway.

Today I pulled an all-nighter with this game. So freaking addictive.

This right here is one of the things I want to see fixed in AOW4.

Planetfall just makes me realize that while I like it enough, they need to get their AI capability up a level or two to really be great. (capability does not mean make it harder, it means make it cheat less without making it too easy)

Actually, this isn’t true, I don’t think. While the AI has full map vision, this does NOT extend to stealthed/invisible units. At least, it wasn’t the case in AOW3 and I would be surprised if it was the case here.

This seems like a really long time to me, 5 full turns. I suggest maybe 3, at the most. May not 1, not every turn, but I could even see 2 turns “feeling” better. Or, maybe add something in the UI to indicate how long you have to wait to try again?

I believe how it works is the AI can see them, but is not able to factor them into its decision making process. So if you have several units it cannot see in a stack, you should see it attack the stack not realizing it cannot win. Or something along those lines.

Right. It’s semantics (the computer has to keep track of where they are, of course) but for all intents and purposes they are invisible. You can take a stack of stealth units and sneak them up to a city and sack it, assuming they don’t have detection.

Speaking of detection, it would be nice to have some sort of UI indicator of who has vision over what. Like if you select a stack with stealthed units to moved, I would like to see an overlay of detector vision from enemies. As it is, I know that there are mods that allow for detection, but is that detection at full range of vision? A certain number of hexes? In any case, it would be really nice to be able to visually see this. “Oh, better be careful, that Hero has detection. Better stay away from that area”.

Yea a similar indicator to the one that shows up when hovering your move cursor over tiles in front of enemies with Overwatch would be cool.

I did not know this. This helps a lot. I can’t stand it when games give you illusory tools/strengths, because the AI just ignores them.

I don’t love the AI seeing everything, but at least not having it see units that are literally meant to be hidden helps a bit (well, it sees them, but ignores them, which seems fair enough).

Right there with you on all points, SlyFrog. I think it was Wargame: AirLand Battle that drove me nuts because the AI always knew where I had units hidden waiting in ambush. Even far away from everything, I’d suddenly see artillery arcing in from miles away to where I had some infantry tucked away. That sort of thing kills a game for me. The full map vision is my biggest complaint with the game but at least units don’t have “fake” capabilities that are irrelevant against the AI!

I would have pulled all forms of stealth out of AoW3 in the first place and never added it to Planetfall. Is there a less fun mechanic than having an army pop out of nowhere to capture some lightly defended city? Barf.

Never been a fan of it either, aside from units like scouts and the like. Stealth is really hard to make effective and interesting without being incredibly annoying to deal with. Same thing with Espionage. Planetfall’s implementation is better than most but it still is not tuned right and can get ridiculously out of hand.

Those prompts that tell the player that they are going to lose all unsaved progress in games without manual saves or obvious save-points, making it so that in reality players have absolutely no idea when the last save took place and no way to manually force one when they quit.

I’ll take those over unskippable cutscenes that take place right after a checkpoint but before a tricky bit.

If they can see the unit but always ignore it, what’s the difference between that and them being unable to see it?

Pathing.

How do folks feel about the strategic AI in AoW:P vs Total War: Warhammer 2? Usually I dismiss diplomacy or strategic level AI in these kind of games. However, playing a few resets on some TW:WH2 campaigns has opened my eyes on how the AI can feel and act differently from game to game.

I am still in the big time learning phase for AoW:P so I am not sure how it is doing. It seems like certain factions just hate me (or others) based on my faction and taunt me until they declare and charge at me. Others seem pre-set to do the opposite. Then again, TW:WH2 has that sort of feel too, but maybe a tad more dynamic. Maybe.

I find the strategic AI to be good but the diplomacy to leave a lot to be desired, despite being noticeably improved from previous games.

The diplomacy may be more annoying than AoW 3.

I don’t agree with this - the diplomacy layer is a lot more fun to me than AoW3 and a lot more transparent. However, like AoW3, Planetfall is really best played as a war game with teams set up so there is no way to cheese the diplomacy and everyone is fighting with everyone at all time. Except NPC factions, those are usually worth befriending.

I just don’t remember the constant badgering from the AI, do this, do that for me. Just too much. The underlying system may be better, just annoying with the frequency.