Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

I just saw this on Twitter, but it looks like Triumph worked with a YouTuber to make an official “how to play” tutorial type series to help ease players into the game. Part one is here:

I was being somewhat sarcastic, suggesting it was a conciliatory measure implemented because people didn’t like that “normal,” which is the baseline (or, what the game is designed around supposedly) was too tough for them.

I tend to play maximised marauders, maximised npc factions and 12 player extra hard (or extreme now) extra large maps for sprawling, quite brutal games, where the AIs fairly often kill off half of themselves.

So there was also a little bit of snark.

Truth is, I have no idea why they changed the terminology, never thought to ask.

I was too busy considering the beauty of a no coloniser game mode.

For the next expansion or patch I’d like to propose a built up game mode, where the player is the invader making Planetfall on a map (planet) with established cities etc, i.e. Something more akin to the developed maps of previous games as opposed to starting with a coloniser.

Anyone having a strange graphic issue? I have a bar about 1/2 inch tall on the bottom of my screen. It’s transparent grey and looks like, I dunno, it’s receiving information? Glitching? It’s a minor issue, but still annoying.

Wait, so just to be clear, did they change it? Is what used to be “Normal” setting now the “Hard” setting?

That is a very crude way of saying it.

So a big part of the idea behind the Tyrannosaurus Update is to address issues that new players or players who dropped out of the game had. In general this is addressed through the new Economy, the AI & Diplomacy improvements and the Tutorial/Campaign changes & Practice World. All of this causes the balance of the game to shift, a large part of that is handled through the new Game Intensity setting which defaults to relaxed. This reduces the complexity and difficulty of NPC Factions, Marauders and Landmarks/Spawners but that still leaves AI out of it. AI on the other hand has become more aggressive and stronger due to the fixes and improvements.

We’ve seen players indeed mention that Normal difficulty is too hard. The intention, for predominantly new players, is that they should be able to achieve victory on Normal fairly reasonably. Players that get stuck on Normal are less likely to lower the difficulty and tend to figure that the game isn’t for them, while players that finish Normal will eventually raise the difficulty as they see fit.

What happens with already existing games & game settings is just that the difficulty has a different name. When generating new planets it would automatically select the difficulty you used last, so if you won’t pay attention it would still be the same.

I hope that is somewhat of a satisfying answer to your question.

That’s perfect, thanks! I appreciate the additional info.

I played for about half an hour at lunch and didn’t have any issues - do you have the Steam version? Maybe do a file integrity check, just in case? Or re-install your graphics driver?

Hey RichVR, We are aware of it, if it is what I’m thinking it’s due to Window Resizing. Can you confirm that?

Hey SlyFrog, Yes, after the Tyrannosaurus Update is installed ‘Hard’ will be what used to be ‘Normal’ Pre-Trex

I play fullscreen. But it’s there in borderless and windowed.

Edit: To be clear, it’s only on the combat screen.

Thank you sir. :)

Crude indeed.

But I explained my guesswork later on.

Which makes a certain kind of sense.

If it helps keep more players playing then I’m all for it!

I read that yea, my comment sounded more teasing/cheeky in my mind than on screen.

Any word on when the GOG offline installer files will be updated? Those pages are currently returning 404 error.

Thanks!
Diego

That’s up to GOG, not Triumph. I believe GOG Galaxy is updating the game, if I understand correctly.

It is.

I’m just a luddite & like having the offline installers around so that I can install to another machine without re-download, etc.

Diego

Makes sense to me! I suspect the offline installers will be updated shortly, if I had to make a guess.

Hey dgallina, like @Scotch_Lufkin said Offline Installers are handled by GoG themselves and can take up to a day to become available. I have seen other people that used the offline installer to get the update so I wouldn’t be able to say what is going on though.

Very Easy was awful branding. I’m an experienced strategy player, that thought of losing to the computer at Very Easy was just too embarrassing. Now losing at easy as a beginner well that’s ok I’m a beginner.

I’m finishing my first campaign, pre patch. I took all the time to figure out how the old economy worked I"m going to take advantage of that.

Thank you @TriumphJordi

No worries.

It was crude of me.

And I should know better.

Man I am hustling to free up some game time so I can get back into this.