Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

This is the game I retired to play. Many, oh shit is that the time?, moments.

I am so stoked to fire this up after the kiddos get sorted tonight.

I hear that a shot of bourbon will do wonders. For the kids, I mean. :)

Bonus: it is application site neutral in effect.

Dogg I got pork chops in the oven and a local stout with my name on it for afterwards. I’m really, really looking forward to tonight after a day elbow-deep in database drivers.

I hope that you will get sucked in the way I did. It is an amazing game. And the new update is fucking great. Enjoy!

Update: It is actually possible to put too much oregano in this pork-chop-and-rice thing I just made. Ah well, a venal sin at worst. The point is that I am good and prepared for planetfall! Woo!

I once did a speech in college about how to make a good tomato sauce. One of my major points was that a touch of dried oregano goes a long way. But too much? You have OREGANO sauce. You might have made OREGANO pork chops. :)

I want to give some positive feedback to this. As a player who did end up dropping the game shortly after release (25hours on Steam, last played August 18, 2019), I just want to say this update has me excited once more to dive back into the game. Even with the DLC that came out, it wasn’t enough to get me interested. The first reason this update has me excited is the no coloniser mode. I am grateful for that option, it was the only way I preferred to play AoW3 because I found that placing cities to be an uninteresting aspect of the game. The second reason is tidying up the map and economy. I did get a good handle on it when it launched, but it felt like too much brain tax and took me away from actually enjoying the game. I knew the team would come through at some point, and the fact that it has happened with a free update as opposed to being integrated with a future DLC is a bonus.

Indeed.

You guyyyyyyyyys the upgraded strategic (icon) view of the map is so doooooooope. The red circles around occupied sites is a small thing, but a great boon for usability.

And there is so much more. You go girl. :)

Oh man it’s so natural I forgot it hadn’t always been there!

I mean, I’m a hundred or so hours into the game to start with ;)

I like that we start with a secret-tech unit now. That’s a new feature, right?

When I first played the game, I remember it took me a while to figure out what secret tech was. Even now, after 60 hours or so, I still don’t have a good grasp of which secret techs mesh best with which factions. But having a unit in the starting army is a good way to remind me to think about it.

Bought this at launch, played around 20 hours and I honestly didn’t even know secret techs were a thing until reading this update.

Right there with you on the secret tech, I mostly feel like I’m just guessing my way thru what meshes with what.

To give you an idea of just how clueless I am about this, I didn’t realize I had a secret tech unit in my starting stack.

I’m Vanguard, so until you mentioned this I had not connected the dots that a light bringer unit was among my starting stack because I chose Celestian as my secret tech.

No idea why I’m being so mentally slow with this one, I mean what is going on here if I’m having a quicker time figuring out Deity Empires than I am this one?!

I think it’s understandable that you overlook secret tech units, just like I do. It’s easy to miss. The unit-details screen identifies secret tech units, but in my first few plays I didn’t read those screens carefully enough, I guess. Maybe there’s a more obvious identifier that I’m missing. Possibly just the model of the unit – a hacker among a bunch of Amazons sorta stands out.

Anyway, it’s great to have one such unit in the opening stack. I stopped and read its lore, and I started poking around the tech tree, looking for synergies between the tech and my faction.

I’m traveling tomorrow, so forgive me if I stop replying in this thread for a bit. :)

I’m 500 hrs in, mostly before Xmas, and I still couldn’t give you a definitive answer to this.

Honestly, you could play the game without using the secret tech, the races are that well designed.

Any word on when the annoying refresh rate issue when using fullscreen mode is getting fixed? It’s a known issue for a while and is still around in the new update.

(When using alt-tab the game reverts back to 60hz regardless of the refresh that is set in the resolution option. To fix you need to go into options and set a different refresh, exit options, then go back in again and set the original refresh).

I know, I know ‘use borderless’. I do because of this issue - but the game is smoother in fullscreen. :)