Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/age-of-wonders-planetfall-dev-diary-43-the-paragon-npc-faction.1205678/

Paragon NPC faction detailed!

Paragons look awesome.

Man I can’t wait for this!

What’s the best deal on this right now? I tried GreenManGaming’s 20% off code listed above, but it doesn’t seem to work anymore.

I see AoW:Planetfall for 16% off now at GMG.

The last few times I watched (part) of any streams I have noticed the map is looking very sharp - better and better every time I see a new build, it seems like. I took a few screen grabs from three different streams (trying to avoid catching some one’s giant face in the screen) to show off what I mean.

Just wow. It looks gorgeous.

If the gameplay is upgraded as much as the rest of the game, this could be something special.

I dunno, every time I launch AoW3 it looks like strategy game graphics can’t be better than that.

AOW3 looks pretty, but I think it was held back a bit by 32-bit engine and having to keep under a RAM limit.

I’m hoping Planetfall is a lot zippier- more like Galciv 3 than Civ 6 in terms of turn speed.

It’s almost exclusively an animation thing in AoW3 far as I can tell. Even late game large maps process turns quite quickly if you put it on simultaneous and turbo animations.

For default setting this is correct, mostly. There is slow down as more units are produced etc.

There is a mod though, extended setting or something, which allows you to basically break the game through making extremely large map, so large they become unplayable after a few dozen turns, even with a powerful computer.

In Planetfall there is still slowdown, but the total unit count is overall lower, the AI is really aggressive (to each other especially) so the net result is less slowdown, on a better optimised game.

Regarding graphics overall in Planetfall, I quite like the fantasy palette of AoW3. PF is a good looker, and imho the only “downgrade” as such is that the sector system means your city occupies far more space than in AoW3, and now has lines to mark out sector boundaries.

It’s a personal thing but sometimes I think it makes things look a bit ugly.

Well it’s certainly better looking than latest similar games - Civilization Beyond Earth and Warhammer Gladius.

Beyond Dearth is recent? It released the same year as AOW 3 (2014).

“Strategy games on a surface of alien planet” genre is not that saturated, you know, so “recent times” has to be stretched a little.

I actually love the way the Planetfall maps look for this reason, because it makes the game look more like a “board game” to me, and that’s cool.

That’s a fair point.

I think a large degree of my opinion is due to nostalgia for the relatively clean look of AoW1.

The Growth NPC faction is detailed in today’s diary!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/age-of-wonders-planetfall-dev-diary-44-the-growth-npc-faction.1221597/

God I can’t wait for this. So glad I sprung for it.

me too…is it august 6th yet!!!