Age of Wonders: Planetfall by Triumph Studios

I don’t mean to derail anything, but how is Fire Emblem?

I put my reply in the Fire Emblem thread, if anyone else was curious. Short answer - I’m digging it a lot, it’s going to make the wait for Planetfall trivial.

It is a screengrab from the campaign. Sadly, full videos/streams are under embargo till the 5th…

I’m really digging the UI of Planetfall. Unit cards look great, there are lots of readable icons to help understand the effects/cost of something, and the presentation overall feels good to me. Here is an example, taken from a Ki’Ko Skirmisher unit that seems to be known as an Echo Walker.

On the far left, you have the unit card you see when you do a mouse hover. From this you can see Tier, faction, unit type (Skirmisher), as well as XP rank (Novice) and health/movement and movement type. It has 1 Shield (vs. Physical) and 5 Shields (vs. Energy).

Below the unit card, you can see what looks like “active effects” currently on the unit - in this case various PyrX bomb/gas effects (which are show in the picture - the enemy was deploying them earlier, which is why I believe these are effects currently on the unit, and NOT something the unit is capable of doing).

You can see Void Blades deal 13 damage (the icon seems to be the damage type, physical), and when you hover over that attack icon you can see more details for that as well - including the fact it’s a repeating attack that costs 1 AP (so it can attack up to three times with full action points). It’s accuracy base is 90%, it’s damage is 13 (physical), and it has a range of 1. It has a high chance to Stagger enemies (removing an Action Point from them for the following turn), being melee it bypasses energy shields, it has a chance to poison for 3 turns following a successful “saving throw” by the target, and has a small chance to cause some sort of Dimensional Instability until the end of the entire battle.

Also, check out the Quantum Echo - 100% chance to work, has a range of 3 hexes, and creates an alternate version of the unit that can fight on it’s own for a couple of turns and if the original dies, THE ALTERNATE BECOMES THE NORMAL UNIT. How cool is that? I grabbed a shot of it in action.

The more I look at the ability and unit cards the easier it is to parse out all the details. I think they did a fantastic job making this easy to follow while still having some very complex abilities and skills.

Also, check out the Quantum Echo - 100% chance to work, lasts 3 turns, and creates an alternate version of the unit that can fight on it’s own, and if the original dies, THE ALTERNATE BECOMES THE NORMAL UNIT. How cool is that? I grabbed a shot of it in action.

(fans self)

Echo Walkers are the first void tech unit you get, and are melee units.

With racial variations.

The Dvar one has a big hammer with single high damage attack iirc, whereas the Kirko one has what can best be described as psi blades in appearance (think protoss zealots.)

Iirc all echo walkers have the ability to inflict dimensional instability, which stacks and inflicts more debuffs the more stacks are on the target unit.

I think it slots into the Vanguard or Syndicate line up best as it is an early melee unit in a ranged dominant army, whereas Kirko and Dvar are both more melee orientated.

edit:

the poison ability is not innate. I’m guessing it’s from mod.

Cough a friend tells me there was ALOT of ongoing feedback regarding things like this, and having a more expansive zoom.

I wondered but wasn’t sure where to find this information, so I didn’t do any real research. The general point I was making was really just about the UI in general, I think it’s come along ways not just since 10 months ago when we first saw Planetfall in action, but since AoW3 itself. So if you had any hand in the feedback on things like UI readability and the zoom level, you have my thanks!

Void Tech seems full of stuff I love, so I’m probably going to try it on my first game. I do love the Prometheus huge mech dual-flamethrower guy though. I think it’s great the first DLC will have another Secret Tech, well worth the price just that alone, imo.

less sturdy than he looks but does decent damage. I personally prefer the preceding promethean unit.

My, ahem, friend says thanks.

I can’t get anyone on the official twitter or facebook pages to reply to me, but are we getting any more streams of the game before launch? The usual guys are back from vacation from what I heard, but they didn’t stream on their normal Monday nor did they yesterday. What’s up with that? I need my weekly Planetfall fix.

I wish I knew. :(

Question you might know the answer to - I’ve noticed this just recently watching someone play on YouTube and I can’t figure it out. When an army stack is selected on the strategy map, and the player moves the cursor around to select a destination to move the stack to, the endpoint is surrounded by a green outline of hexes, like so:

What does that mean/do?

I would guess remaining movement range from the target location?

Yep, I bet that’s it - it’s the shape of your remaining movement from the targeted tile, so you know what you have left for movement after you move - like when you move into a hex and are told you still have movement left and find out while you can’t move forward, you can still step back onto a tile you just came from. That makes sense. Good guess!

It seems like it would be a pretty nice feature. I’m trying to think of other games that do that? Maybe War in the East?

Is this not an Epic Game’s Store exclusive? I thought it was all this time…

NOPE.

Hell no.

Sadly no. So, no juicy 10 dollar credit. Just the same limp wristed bargains we always see.