Agents of Shield - Joss Whedon, Marvel, and ABC

https://vine.co/v/b0wnu2UgdeM

Agent Coulson is the man.

I’ve been looking forward to this ever since it was announced shortly after The Avengers debuted. I can’t wait to see how they bring Coulson back.

I’m really curious about this one. I’m assuming that budget will limit how much super hero action we get, in terms of special effects as well as paying anyone from the Marvel movies to show up. But, it is called “Agents of SHIELD”, not “Avengers: the TV series.” I really like that fellow who plays Colson and would watch for him alone, probably, but I do like the idea of watching normal people interacting in a superhero world. Does anybody remember that old Marvel series, think it was called Damage, Inc., that was centered around a crew whose job it was to clean up after all those incredibly destructive superhero fights? I’d like to see something like that.

Unfortunately it seems like it’s going to be more of an x-files – the team (the hacker! the martial artist!) protecting ordinary people from an unexplained phenomenon every week.

As long as many/most of those phenomena are caused by mutants, high tech villain organizations like Hydra and AIM, aliens, or other super types, I’m fine with that.

I´d like to know which High school is Shield using for recruitment.

I want this show all over my face.

Old school - I was immediately enamored to Nick Fury, Agent of Shield with that Porsche 904 spy car. Except the piss-yellow color.

And yes, my mom made me throw away Strange Tales #135.

I’ll always think of him as Special Agent Michael Casper of the FBI. Can’t seem to help it.

Other than Coulson, everyone looks more like an aspiring model than an agent. But I guess that’s just the direction TV has done in these days.

Still, looking forward to seeing how this turns out. It’s sounding like a super hero version of Fringe

Agent Coulson is Michael Casper, except he had the good fortune to live in a world with super heroes. And his outstanding work got him noticed by Shield.

Marvel meets The Mod Squad (kids, ask your parents).

I’m a little nervous about this. A lot of ABC’s shows end up feeling very same-y to me (in a way I don’t care for), probably due to demographic tuning reasons, so this will really depend on how strongly Whedon’s fingerprints stay on it.

I’m a little nervous about this. A lot of ABC’s shows end up feeling very same-y to me (in a way I don’t care for), probably due to demographic tuning reasons, so this will really depend on how strongly Whedon’s fingerprints stay on it.

On the other hand, it can’t really be “tuned” any worse than Fox did with Dollhouse.

This is all upside for me (kind of like the Avengers movies was, to be honest). I have no expectations so if it turns out well it’s a bonus. The one Whedon project where I can be (and am currently being) disappointed is Dr Horrible part 2.

Not like in the old days, when shows like Charlie’s Angels…ummmm… never mind. ;-)

I just can’t get excited about this, all I can do is worry about all the ways it could go wrong. My nightmare is some kind of Smallville freak-of-the-week scenario, with similar (though not identical, the circumstances are pretty different) constraints on how much they can tie into the larger world the fans love that they’re supposed to be a part of. And Coulson is fine, but he’s not going to keep me watching if the show’s bad.

None of this is really the fault of anyone involved in the show, I hope they prove me totally wrong, but the whole thing has me much more nervous than excited.

Actually, if the monster of the week was entirely composed of avengers c-list villains, I would be pretty ok with that.

Whedon has never done a show that didn’t have some kind of ongoing plot arcs. And the comic source material has plenty of plot arc stuff. I don’t think it’ll just be some procedural “monster of the week” show.

I presume it’s considered necessary to appeal to its target audience (and maybe just a Whedon trait), but it’s always off-putting how these shows cast a young, misfit crew who look like they should be waiters or members of a high school rock band instead of professional employees of a FBI/CIA-type organization.