Agents of Shield - Joss Whedon, Marvel, and ABC

Clark Gregg stop by at Marvel HQ. This guy is really cool!

I saw somewhere yesterday that the SHIELD spin off will center around the characters of Morse and Hunter and will be directly tied to events from this season AOS.

Yep Clark Gregg just seems really down to earth and one of those stars that would be really fun to hang around with for a day.

Yeah, I saw the same news. Apparently there will be this rumored AoS spinoff likely starring Morse and Hunter, as well as another Marvel show under development by 12 Years a Slave and American Crime writer/producer John Ridley.

And then I come across this in my twitter feed:

Rumor: ‘Ms. Marvel’ TV Series is John Ridley’s MCU Project

The rumor is it will be a mid-season miniseries between halves of the AoS spinoff, and the rumor also makes it sound like Agent Carter is coming back again too. Obvious question is how do they do Ms. Marvel before introducing Captain Marvel, answer seems to be “who cares, that’s what Ridley wants to work on”.

So two Agents of SHIELD shows in the fall, with two miniseries mid-season.

Huh. I enjoyed Agent Carter and like where they’ve gone with Agents of Shield, but that all seems like too much.

Well, they are certainly making the shows just like the comics - soon there will be so many titles I won’t be able to follow anything any more!

Looks like I picked the right time to bail out on Agents of SHIELD. Sorry, I don’t like to threadcrap, but this show has been gradually losing me this season and I guess I’ve just lost interest in all this inhuman business plus yet another secret SHIELD cabal. No regrets though, I enjoyed it for a while.

Pretty much this.

The show has gotten better, but it still isn’t great. I was in because of the Inhuman storyline, but all the other stuff is getting annoying. If they really do go ahead with the spin-off, I’m done. I’ll still be seeing the main MCU movies, and probably the Netflix stuff after Daredevil, but I have no desire to follow multiple weekly Marvel tv shows. I got out of superhero comics during the 90s madness of crossovers and trying to follow multiple storylines, and it looks like that’s happening here, too.

When I heard this I remembered when Heroes was popular and they started talking about spinoffs. Wring all those golden eggs out the goose, Marvel!

They are just building up material for the inevitable MARVEL NETWORK!

Last night’s episode was super freaking cool. Amidst all this talk of spin-offs, it’s easy to forget the core show has grown into something incredibly strong, sometimes. If we can get more shows set in the same universe of this quality, I guess I don’t really have any actual complaints, other than having to give up precious gaming time to watch more TV. :)

Well, that was interesting. Baron von Strucker and Dr. List played a big role in the mid credits scene of Winter Soldier. For those who don’t remember it, Strucker is the head of Hydra and List is his flunky. They’re holding Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch prisoner, but we know both are free in Age of Ultron. Initially, they seem like Ultron’s allies, and later, of course, they join the Avengers. The question is: will they be freed in next week’s SHIELD episode? List’s presence in the series makes that at least possible. Of course, the Avengers might attack the Hydra base early in the film, or Ultron might free them himself.

That was an interesting show indeed.

What impressed me most was Skye bonding with her dad, and the writing and performances were good enough that it felt right to me. Even after all he has done, I could see why Skye changed her attitude towards him.

Tying Into Avengers 2

[spoiler]So, yup, the predicted tie-in happened. Coulson sent the location of Loki’s sceptre to Maria Hill. I guess she’s used to doing TV from her time on HIMYM. Everyone else in the movie is too big for the small screen, I suppose.

It was also interesting how Raina’s psychic powers also revealed the disaster driving Age of Ultron.[/spoiler]

Best thing about last night’s episode was Skye kicking ass in the no-cuts shot. I think Daredevil’s fight choreography made them want to up their game, if they got early looks at it. She moved like May, and used her powers. Definitely an awesome superhero in the making. Quake, indeed.

Second best thing: Gonzales’ face when Coulson said Fury would be coming back for his cube. “Spoiler alert!”

Everyone distrusting everyone else was great. Feels like a spy show, alright.

I admit I was surprised that all the SHIELD folks are working together. Not particularly friendly, to be sure, but at least all in the same base without shooting one another. I was expecting more of a deep schism leading into the movie. No complaints, though, it worked well.

If that was directly influenced by anything recent, I suspect it was John Wick, which I approve of.

I saw a clip of the fight and the total scene was 36 sec long. She was amazingly badass for those 36 second and even took time to reload once and change guns once during the fight. They did a great job with that fight. Im not sure how many she took out but it had to be at least six.

Was a bit disappointed that it didn’t tie in (more) to Avengers 2, but maybe the next episode will have some fallout. Presumably everyone will know Fury is alive, for instance.