Agents of Shield - Joss Whedon, Marvel, and ABC

That was a great episode, and as always just as we were going to get our FitzSimmons togetherness, it’s snatched away again!

I kind of figured the “out of time” thing was going to be a big part of what’s going on. They messed with the timestream and now the other Chronicoms are pissed. I really like how this sets up Enoch somewhere in the middle. Joel Stoffer is fantastic in that role. He’s been a tremendous addition to the series.

Director of the episode was the son of Steven Bochco. He’s done 16 episodes of the series. Who knew?

Please tell me someone else watched that last night. Omg!

We did over here, another knock out of the park. Holy shit.

Random thoughts from last nites show.

As soon as they had that scene with YoYo, New Guy and Mack, I knew that New Guy was doomed. Sexy video Quake is …well, sexy and he had better never let her see that. Coulson 2.0’s methods are harsh but is he actually the good guy?

I felt a moderate level of influence from Legends of Tomorrow in that episode (not the lame, over-serious first season, but the better psycho-fun later seasons).

“It turns out the office is under attack and, like, nobody told me.”

I got the same vibe. Also; “Two percent.” I almost died laughing.

The guy was obviously a red shirt from day one

Are you all trying to gaslight me? This is the worst season yet. The production budget looks worse than ever, and that’s maybe the nicest thing I could say about it. Because hey, that’s not really under the control of the people making this corny trash.

I also find the season somewhat underwhelming although I did enjoy the comedic stylings of the most recent episode. It’s still mostly enjoyable but not as good as it’s peak in S3 to S4. I’ll keep on watching though.

I’m going to keep watching it because I have a hard time abandoning shows I’m convinced are going to end on their own any season now.

But I’ll mute this thread for the rest of the season just so I don’t come back and keep souring the mood for anyone who’s enjoying it. I just had to get it off my chest one more time that I can’t believe how bad things are at this point.

Just caught up on the four episodes thus far this season. I don’t get either the “oh it’s amazing” or “oh it’s crap” attitudes. It seems pretty much just like last season to me. Plenty of aliens and weird happenings with some cheesy CW-esque personal relationship fumblings. Of course they brought Coulson back (sorta), how could they not? I’m enjoying the ride because I’m a comic book guy and like all this crazy weird stuff, and am willing to put up with some dumb bits to get it.

I’m just glad to be so easy to please, I guess. Some shows have soured me over the years, but they’re thankfully few and far between.

Just ditch Earth. I don’t care about Earth. Why would I care about Earth when the Universe is full of a billion different planets and aliens. The writers clearly want to write a show about people traveling a Star-Wars-style Galaxy having adventures, galactic politics, space customs bureaucracy, Just do that, I love all that too! And you don’t have to worry about not stepping into other Marvel Movies territory, the Universe is big enough you can write whatever you want.

Let the Marvel movies deal with boring Earth stuff.

Just popping in to update the thread - my son and I got caught up on the episodes we missed while travelling and then watched last Friday’s as well - as always, just tremendously fun and great TV with some of the best moments. I can’t recommend this show enough, it just gets better and better every season.

Agreed. It makes me a little sad when I see a handful of forum-goers not enjoy it, but at least we live in a world where they won’t be left wanting for alternatives.

This Fitz Simmons episode was probably my favorite one of them all. I thought it was all handled really well and man, I just love Enoch. He’s a fantastic addition to the show! I think my favorite thing was that they gave us some closure on what happened between last season and where this one began via the mind melding shenanigans AND took us even further back as well.

I am really looking forward to Friday. The teaser was awesome. Clark Gregg must be having a blast this season.

It really is my favorite thing on television by a wide margin.

I really like a lot of what Marvel had on Netflix but none of that can even come close to what they have done with AOS. I love this show. It has the perfect balance of drama, comedy and flat out bonkers plot lines. The cast is fantastic as well. It is the best Marvel TV product, bar none… fight me!

I will stand by your side and take on all comers! I think we can count on the two guys above us too!

One thing I love about this show is that it is peripheral to the main storylines of the MCU in the exact ways the comics would be. It’s telling its own bonkers story that is just as planet threatening as any other MCU story but this team has the skills to handle it so they just plain do it. That’s how it always was in the books too… and yeah, you can easily say “Why not call Iron Man?!” but he’s got his own problems to deal with. SHIELD is for the sorts of threats they get on this show, and while we know that financial reasons prevent that kind of crossover, it’s also totally believable in the fiction, same as it is in comics. Heroes can’t be everywhere all at once.

I’ve said before too that I love spy shows and this, despite all the cross dimensional and cross universe craziness is still at its heart a spy show. They’re working in the shadows. There are gadgets. There are subversive plots. Like all great spy shows, it keeps you guessing as to what’s coming next. And with the last few seasons, they’ve even added horror elements to the drama, comedy and flat out bonkers stuff!

It’s the people though… they really make it for me. I love these characters and their actors just totally do it for me on screen. I’m glad Clark Gregg is back as Sarge even if some would say it’s a contrived way to keep him on the show. They’ve done a great job so far of creating mystery with his character while he’s been playing someone completely different from who he was before. It’s just great TV for me.

And my shotgun-axe!

Did anyone notice in little-girl-Gemma’s room, she had a stuffed Pooh and a stuffed Paddington, completely normal for a young British girl, but they were both wearing safety goggles.

Edit: as an aside, I think that might be an example of a show “firing on all cylinders” - I think when certain shows have hit their peaks (I’m thinking of earlier seasons of GoT and mid-seasons of The Americans), it seems like every single person on the production is really adding to the experience: writers, actors, directors, set dressers, music directors, prop-makers, etc.