Alien: Isolation - Aliens, Creative Assembly, and Ripley's daughter

Okay so I finally finished this the other night and phew, is this a long game or what? I was convinced I was about to finish it any minute for 6 hours straight until 2am in the morning when I finally did reach the credits. It was too long for me then, but overall I enjoyed it. Amazing audio on 5.1; incredible visual design, from the interiors to the technology to the alien itself and the synthetics; I loved the appearance of the UIs even if they were a bit finicky to use (terminals and logs particularly); some of the hacking mini-games were kind of nice and unexpected; the stealth was edgy and a little unpredictable which meant you never really felt safe. At its best it felt like a more linear System Shock and was incredibly intense at times.

Someone earlier in the thread, Jazar I think, mentioned the visual vocabulary of the game making it difficult to see what could be interacted with but I noticed on the Torrens right at the beginning that pretty much anything that can be interacted with usually has a green light, whether it’s a control panel, or door, or draw, or cupboard, or switch – it’s subtle but effective once you pick up on it.

So, on to the gripes:

Here be spoilers…

[spoiler]I wasn’t too enamoured by the ending but it wasn’t a bad one, the QTE airlock xeno dream sequence was anti-climactic and the aliens surrounding Ripley on the maintenance rig just felt a bit trite and predictable. Not to mention that entire sequence before you put the EVA suit on when there are multiple aliens was incredibly frustrating. I died so many times trying to get across that room. Towards the end I just felt like CA were wasting my time with more retreading of the same areas, more setbacks (I swear, I’ll be happy if I never have to fucking power something up ever again), inexplicably sealed doors that forced lengthy detours. Ripley getting dragged off to be impregnated was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. Actually, no, it was the generator packing in at the end of that section with the four rooms linked by one long narrow corridor on Mission 17.

Medical was a real pain and didn’t at all make for a good early impression of the alien. In fact, I’d argue it cemented my view of it very early on: there’s too much of it which consequently turns it into a nuisance rather than something to be scared of, like the synthetics. It’s funny, the game takes so many cues from the film, often straight-up lifting things out of it, but the one thing it didn’t take was how little the alien was shown and how much dread that absence instilled. On the run up to medical, I was physically shuddering at the prospect of being hunted by it. After medical it was nothing more than an insta-death hindrance. The flamethrower was a god send! So for me, I think less of the xenomorph would have been more effective; it would have allowed the atmosphere of the Sevastopol to breath more. I mean, when you jettison the lab off into space with the alien in it the Sevastopol is positively serene without that thing running around, but still scary as hell. I wanted to use that opportunity to explore the ship more but I got spooked by the silence and the occasional and inexplicable motion beep so I resumed the main plot.

One thing it lifted which didn’t sit well with me was Ridley’s drone eggs from the Director’s Cut. I was half expecting a Queen alien at some but then when I found myself in vents with eggs I realised that this was based on those weird deleted scenes with Dallas and Brett.[/spoiler]

The tethering on the xeno was just really frustrating and unrealistic when there were humans making a din elsewhere. A few times I waited for it to arrive to deal with them but it only made its appearance when I started moving around, in silence I might add. Really silly. If I’d designed this game, the alien wouldn’t have been this patrolling pain in the arse. It would have hid in places, silent and still and only revealed itself if you were nearby or there were loud noises (as per pretty much all the films) so loud humans would be a liability (so don’t get spotted, or deal with them quietly), and turning the power on in areas, setting off alarms, knocking things over, firing weapons etc. would all be bad. I’d have liked to have seen the numerous security cameras be used in tandem with the rewire stations to be sure you’re actually doing things, as the feedback on them wasn’t too great. The save system was neat but sometimes the save points were too far apart so there were sections where you’d have to repeat a lot of stuff if you died. Also: be gone short life batteries!

Interesting timing for this thread to come back up. Sega’s year-end financials came out and the game sold 2.11 million copies total.

On the call, Sega SAMMY Holdings said Alien: Isolation was well-received by fans and critics, but sales were “weak” in relation to expectations.

How well did Aliens: Colonic Marina sell? I feel like that figure will be depressing.

Edit:

"Aliens: Colonial Marines debuted at number one on the UK all formats chart despite the negative reception, similar to the 2010 game Aliens vs. Predator. According to GfK Chart-Track it was the biggest release of the year in the UK ahead of Dead Space 3.

In the U.S. the game debuted at number six on the all formats chart in its first month of release. As of March 31, 2013, as stated in Sega’s end-of-fiscal-year report, Aliens: Colonial Marines has sold 1.31 million units in the U.S. and Europe."

Ouch. That really puts it in perspective. Alien Isolation didn’t really do all that well. But they haven’t really done their bargain bin full court press yet either, I bet they can easily sell another million copies this holiday season by putting the game up for a great sale price on PSN/Xbox/Steam, etc.

I think a little of both.

Their stated expectations at the beginning of the year was 2.5 million for the first month. They hit 2.1 million by the end of their fiscal year.

That said, I’m sure the budget for the project warranted a high expectation.

Anyone get the season pass? Worth it? The base game and season pass is one sale at the Humble store.

Edit: Looking back at earlier posts it seems not.

It’s the only game i’ve played in years where i’ve felt “nervous”. Somewhat similar to Dark Souls etc, though the Souls games are deliberately frustrating where the whole point of Isolation was to recreate the atmosphere of the films, which they did well. By the end i was a bit tired of the ‘nothing works and always makes things worse’ way of pushing the plot forward, but still glad i played, though i think it wasn’t until the reactor mission that i felt a bit tired of the journey.

Just finished this up, and despite my initial doubts, I pretty much ended up loving it. Very tense and amazingly atmospheric. There were a couple of eye-rollers (oh wow, that generator in that locker-free room was working fine a second ago when I was standing by it, and oh gee, now it isn’t working so I have to go restart it…) but for the most part the scenarios were fair to the player while still requiring some work and patience.

The Working Joes (and later, the industrial Working Joes) were the best scenarios in the game, I think, though. Big-bad instakill Space Kitty could be handled by judicious use of cover, situational awareness, and liberal application of napalm, but those industrial Joes were a rude surprise when I first ran into them. “Eat hot shock prod you… OH SHIT”

I definitely liked how CA let some of the levels “breathe” by just having the alien as a possible threat rattling around in the vents, but never really getting the arse to come on down unless you did something stupid/loud.

I am about 2 hours into this and playing on easy, which I hope means I never see the alien ever except in cut scenes. Jesus Christ. Why am I playing this. I get nervous in real life just having to catch a train on time, what an idiot.

Have fun, he says waving as he exits the haunted house.

The 2nd-to-easiest-difficulty level (which is “easy”, I think) is what I played on, and it was right in that sweet spot for me. Plenty of challenge, but at no point was I like “WTF this is like so unfair”.

I really do want to get back to this someday but I’m such a pansy. This game got into my head, actually got my hands shaking. I’m such an easy touch.

Some of these save game consoles are not very convenient. These three people keep shooting me. I’m just trying to find a part. I’m harmless!

Never mind the alien, those androids created some pretty tense moments!

I keep forgetting this game exists. Man, there are so many great games yet to play this year.

It’s for the best. Last time I fired it up for 5 minutes and the alien dragged me out of a vent by my feet from behind, flipped me around and filled the screen with it’s face, fade to black. I quit.

Arggghhh - system detected that the quarantine was breached. Alien or not this isn’t good. I’m creeping around so slowly already.

OK, I didn’t last long. For a game where you can die very suddenly they sometimes don’t let you save frequently enough. I’m not exactly sure why I had this set on hard, but I’m pretty sure I’m going to be lowering it.

Yeah, one of those games where raising the difficulty doesn’t really increase the challenge, just frustration.

One thing that is frustrating me is that even when I quickly follow the on screen prompts when hiding - “hold LT to hold breath” and “hold LS down to lean back”, the alien still gets me almost every time. It’s work some of the time but it almost feel like something is wrong with my controller. I’m doing it as soon as the message pops up.