Alien: Isolation - Aliens, Creative Assembly, and Ripley's daughter

First alien encounter was… interesting

silly spoiler

After the cutscene, I call the transit system, and while I waited until it comes, I notice the music turns more bombastic and louder. I was thinking “what the hell is with the music”, and the transit car was also being too slow. Finally, I got it. Ohh, it was supposed to be a scary or at least tense scene, I should have been nervous because the alien appeared and it could, in theory, appear again and kill me, while I was waiting for the transport. Funnily, it didn’t work in me, I just thought automatically it wouldn’t attack in that moment because I was in a room without anything to hide and it was kind of small, if the alien appeared there, it would be automatic death and I knew the game designer wouldn’t do that. Once again, my knowledge of video games messes with a “scary” moment! :S
That’s why scripted encounters and too-linear development and gameplay aren’t conductive for terror.

if the alien appeared there, it would be automatic death and I knew the game designer wouldn’t do that.

Someone never played video games in the 80’s and 90’s.

“If a bat appeared and flew at me after I jumped, it would be automatic death since I’ve already jumped off the platform, and the game designer wouldn’t do that.”

Making you automatically die like that was seemingly game design 101 in platformers like Ninja Gaiden.

I’m not talking of ALL the video games, only the ones who have said problems.

You need get out of your head, man. I was on the edge of my seat for that whole sequence! Loved it.

Also, trust me, there will be times when you meet the alien and can’t survive. So it goes.

I watched videos of the game, I know the alien can kill you plenty of times :P.

Ok, now I start the real game (with real stealth and combat) and damn it’s hard. No magic radar, first person only, hostiles that see you at a good distance, you die from two bullets, checkpoint save only…

Undecided on whether to wait for a sale but the enthusiasm in this thread convinced me to buy now.

Early alpha… I can’t believe how much the game has changed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iYhczO_g0hE

I wrote some words… well, a lot of words… about Alien, and my perception of the game:
http://shiftsprint.com/alien-isolation-in-space-no-one-can-hear-your-nostalgia/

TL;DR = the DLC is the best part, by far. Seeing Alien at 12 fucked me up for life.

Some pics. No spoilers, just didn’t want to clog the flow.

Could it just be a dream?

Some days I thought I’d go mad if I didn’t see the sun

Lost authority

That unicorn is a nice easter egg. Somebody’s real glad you noticed. Probably a replicant.

Don’t know if this has been posted yet but here’s a link describing how you can change the FoV and get rid of those intro movies that won’t let you skip past them. Why do they do that shit? Marketing says not to let the player skip past them or something? It’s not in my contract, man.

https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=http://www.incgamers.com/2014/10/how-to-increase-the-fov-in-alien-isolation-and-remove-intros

Anyway I just barely scratched the surface tonight, but oh my, what a gorgeous game it is. This is as close as we will get to visiting the original set of Alien.

JMR, have you got the Nostromo DLC? The Last Survivor mode is the best, but the Crew Expendable is also pretty great. I prefer it to the main game, honestly. It’s super intense and of just the right length.

Don’t have it yet but I’ll get it after I finish the main story first. I’m only 2 hours in and I’m still getting the tutorial messages but so far I’m really impressed with the visuals and audio that do a wonderful job of immersing you into the Alien universe. I have had a couple of instances of jumping in my seat combined with a loud expletive which I haven’t done in a game since Down in the Bonehoard and Cathedral missions in Thief1. This is definitely a game you play in a darkened room with no ambient light to detract from the experience.

I’m also incredibly impressed with the game, and I love all the design decisions CA made that reinvent the wheel for stealth games. There’s no choke everyone out option, there’s a sort of risk/reward calculus involved with where you hide, you should basically constantly be on the move, etc.

The only thing I’m not crazy about is save points, but so far it has felt like a forgivable sin.

I had a good moment today, a synthetic thrown in the ground grabbed me, and he did it in the worst moment when one of his more alive mates were patrolling near the area. I was very luck in not being seeing, had my heart almost in the mouth.

Good tips but it looks like the fov is vertical, which makes 75 ~90-95 horizontal, depending on your AR. I tried 90 and 100 and it was way too wide and I’m someone who usually whines about fov first thing in fpp games. 75 feels just right imo.

Is there a part where Ripley Jr. strips down to a tiny T-shirt and an even tinier set of bikini briefs?

You on dat dere 70s pubic overgrowth time scharmers?

Me love me some cavewoman action, JMR.

the actual link is: http://www.incgamers.com/2014/10/how-to-increase-the-fov-in-alien-isolation-and-remove-intros