All good demons go to... um... sequel? - Diablo 3 Announced

Logout and back in, it worked for me.

They are! I was able to just quit my day job.

To throw a little more data, I am through Act 3 (and farming it) with this DH build. No Smoke Screen, no Prep, no Elemental Arrow. All about maintaining distance/position, stunning/snaring when anything gets within 20m, and swearing loudly at one-shot deaths to Soul Lashers or poor hit tracking.

I played around with the “normal” build the other day, and I totally appreciate the DPS you can get out of Elemental Arrow, but I don’t really get the Smoke Screen thing. Oh well, I’m still doing okay!

… I would prefer if there was a melee option available, in the Javazon mold, but apparently we can’t have everything.

Hmph, still nothing. I wonder if they’re rolling it out slowly to avoid crashing it.

Sell on the RMAH while you can. Prices are NUTS right now.

I’m sure…but is anyone buying?

Can’t seem to get it to prompt me for information about my Paypal account. I can sell stuff and get it deposited to my Blizzard account, but that’s it.

If I were still playing WoW, I’m sure that would mean something to me.

The prompt is bullshit, and doesn’t do anything to let you set it up. You have to set up the paypal account and SMS via account management on the website.

Apparently, if you want to send to paypal, you need to receive and enter an SMS code for every auction. I pay as I go on messages, as I avoid SMS because paying 10-20 bucks for SMS is bullshit, and I have a dozen other ways to receive messages on my phone, so paying 25 cents per code is not something I’m interested in.

Money in your Battle.net account lets you buy stuff from the Blizzard store, correct?

While it is stupid if only one build works or the game becomes all about kiting or whatever, I am perplexed by the people complaining hitting walls in Inferno or whatever a few weeks after release.

There are no raids in this game. There’s no PVP to build up your character. Inferno IS the entire late game. There’s no more challenges left in the game once you are done! Why do so many people just want to cruise through it in a week?

I’ll take your word on it that there are those out there usually those skills. Personally, in my 100+ hours in the game (I play MP exclusively), I’ve yet to encounter a DH who is not using:

Hungering Arrow (Devouring Arrow)
Elemental Arrow (Tentacles)
Smoke Screen (Lingering Fog)
Preparation

That’s 4 of 6 slots have been identical in every single DH I have ever run across from Hell Act III-IV through Inferno. I have seen a couple use Caltrops, but I’ve yet to see anyone use them effectively in Inferno. I’ll take you and StGabe at your word, though, next time I fire D3 up I’m going to try using them again and see if I can get some use out of it. Not sure what I can see myself sacrificing to free up a slot, but should be interesting.

The problem I have with Evasive Fire, Vault, Caltrops, etc is when you run into champion/elite packs it’s not going to do you any good if they have jailer, waller, etc… and with 4 affixes, chances are pretty good you’re going to run into those. At the very minimum evasive and vault need CC breaks, otherwise they’re just sucking up slots and (perhaps more importantly) Discipline that could be used for the superior Smoke Screen, IMO.

Well we’re still very early in on the end-game and it shouldn’t be surprising that people are hewing towards FOTM builds. There’s one build that people know works pretty well (glass cannon, high crit damage, high dex, sharpshooter), the four skills you mention are very good for that build, and we’ve yet to see a lot of exploration past that. Even without changes in skills we’ll see some more FOTM builds show up as people just try out a few new things.

FWIW I do use those 4 skills about 80% of the time. IMO Nether Tentacles is broken and needs a fix and that will cause people to experiment with a lot of other attack skills. I do swap it out for Screaming Skull or Frost Arrow frequently however and both of those are quite good. SS/Prep is too darn good not to use right now. I do think at a certain point I might be able to swap that out for Gloom but I’m not quite there. I think Hungering Arrow can easily be replaced by Entangling shot.

I just don’t see the huge appeal of Hungering Arrow. Is the seeking that good? I can see wanting that for some bosses/insane trash pack kites.

Can’t believe the money people are spending on items. Has the world gone insane? Are there really that many people have so much money they can spend hundreds of dollars on items so they can beat the game faster? They can’t even fight other players. What is going on.

Money laundering maybe, rather than legitimate buys. It’s a serious issue in online payment services. Or more basic CC fraud. Either way, given that the AH has been a total clowntown thus far I expect it’s seen as a soft target for that sort of activity. I wonder if Blizzard fully understands the compliance required.

I only started using those in Inferno. Before in Hell I used multishot and some other skills. In additional to those I use Caltrops with the 2 second hold to handle elites. Then the last skill is usually the ferrets to pick up my gold for me.

Hungering Arrow is just used to build up hate. No other reason for it. You can only spam NT so much before you run out. It also does a bit of nice dmg. Switching on and off with NT you’ll have nearly always full hatred.

What people are putting items up for is not the same as what items are actually selling for. Other than the few lucky people who get the RNG to drop godlike stats, nothing else is going to sell.

At least I hope not.

But you just said a few posts ago that everyone used the Fear rune on Elemental arrow. Then when I brought up that many others use Nether Tentacles, you now call that the universal option. Which is it?

A bunch of people use Cindering arrow, I just killed Inferno Act 1 Butcher using it. Devouring arrow is not a universal choice either. But as I said previously, I agree with you on the universality of SS and Prep. I’m frankly amazed that Kyrios can survive Inferno without them.

I haven’t used Caltrops myself since early NM, but I used Evasive Fire for a very long time - still would if I could exchange it for Hungering Arrow for bosses without losing the Nephalem buff.

The appeal of Hungering Arrow comes from its ability to hit things off screen or around the corner. Most of the damage I do to act bosses is done with this arrow and spike trap, without me even seeing the boss most of the time. You can’t shoot around corners with Entangling shot (but you can off screen, albeit for much lower damage) and you can’t shoot off screen with Evasive Fire.

I know people use Nether Tentacles on act bosses, but the slow firing animation gets me in too much trouble, and it’s harder to aim properly. Besides, can’t switch from Fear to Nether on account of the Nephalem buff.

Evasive Fire can really be amazing sometimes - when the waller elites block themselves from getting to you with their own walls, you can still do damage to them with EF. With the Covering Fire rune it goes through obstacles (not sure if it’s intentional) and sprays damage over a wide area, hitting up to three targets (for full damage). It also doesn’t have travel time like Entangling or Hungering arrows. It’s more like shooting a gun than a bow (it even sounds like it).

And don’t quote me on this, but I could have sworn I’ve broken jailer CC with the backflips it does.

The backflips, by the way, never occur in normal play, so you don’t lose discipline. When it does occur, it usually saves my ass (from getting killed by an ambush). In which case I’m thankful for only having used 4 discipline to avoid death instead of 14 for SS.
But, like I said, I stopped using it because Hungering Arrow is far more useful against non-waller elites and act bosses. Even if it kills regular mobs slower.

You are wrong.

Already sold a completely mediocre gloves for $7 and a ring for $3. I also bought $18 worth of items myself.

Other people have shown their email confirmations of selling $40, $50 and $100 items.

I don’t think I ever said this… could you point out where I did? If I did I must have misspoken, since it’s Nether Tentacles I always see. The only mention I see of me talking about the Fear rune is:

By which I meant that Fear rune didn’t do me a whole lotta good when tangling with lasher/phasebeast packs.

$7 is less than 1m gold at current gold prices. $100 is less than 10 million. All the uproar is over stuff that isn’t all that surprising.

I got that impression from this:

Since I was specific to point out the use of the Elemental/Fear and never mentioned Elemental/Tentacles in that post, you can see how I would assume that you were saying Elemental/Fear was the cookie cutter build everyone uses.

But I think we can agree that while a great deal of skills/runes fall away by Inferno, quite a few are still viable, and significantly different builds and approaches are possible (and indeed are being used).

Except for SS and Prep. I too wish Blizzard would give us some other options for survival that were anywhere near as good.

Sold a set item ring for $45 when it was just sitting in my stash. This surprised me as when I posted it the same ring was there for 15, 20, etc… Can every game have a RMAH please?