All hands on Steam Deck - Valve's handheld PC

Hah! If you look upthread a ways you’ll see my wailing and gnashing of teeth over FedEx. They also said it would be a day early and then somehow my package (at least according to their tracking) ended up in Chicago. Which was problematic, as I live in Utah. It was delivered the next day, while still showing that Chicago was the last stop. /asciishrug

#JustFedexThings

Add me to that list. Mine was two days late but whatever, as long as it made it. It looks like the, "it will be delivered early message was at the source scan time and the updated delay message was in the processing center in Kentucky I believe.

Yep. Same thing happened to me. When you posted last week you were getting one, I wanted to respond 'yeah, as a few days for its side trip to Troutdale, OR. All FedEx packages here in the PNW go through there, regardless if it makes sense or not.

Yeah, watching FedEx is frustrating. It didn’t go through Oregon though. It came through Montana and eastern WA. It sat in Seattle for two days and then moved to Tukwilla today. It’s getting father way. FedEx still says it will be here today.

I keep reminding myself I could play any of those games right now on my PC if I wanted to.

Mines in Troutdale now….says delivery tomorrow.

I’ve had numerous instances of items arriving in Troutdale (for non PNW its the town 5 miles east of PDX airport), only for it to do something dumb, like go to Medford, or one case Florida.

Keep in mind I could literally drive to that DC in about 30 minutes. So going literally anywhere else but the truck for delivery is dumb and wrong.

Ordered the 64 gb this morning.

256 gb ssd, 512 gb SD card, and ifixit toolkit all arriving this weekend in preparation.

Oh also a usb c hub too, because I don’t have a USB c thumb drive.

So how much did that save you? I think I would rather just pay Valve more and ignore the hassle.

Eager to hear how this goes. Would love it if you could post an update (and links to the items you purchased).

I saved almost $200 by getting the 64GB model and installing an OEM 512GB SSD myself versus buying the 512GB model. (I didn’t buy an iFixit kit or any other fancy stuff, since I already owned an electronics repair driver set, and I got a USB-C dock back when I got my Steam Deck and was already using it regularly outside of needing to install SteamOS on the new drive.) The “hassle” was largely nonexistent - the biggest problem I had in the whole process was needing to discharge the battery before getting to work, which I did by…playing games, on a game system.

20 years ago I would have been right there with you guys. Now I don’t want to mess with that stuff. I built my last computer, something I have done many times over the years, and hated every step of it. I wish I was more like you guys, but I am lazy.

@JonRowe is installing a 256GB SSD. Price difference between 64GB and 256GB model is $130. It’s possible to get a 256GB 2230 NVMe drive for about $30. So savings is about $100. Kind of wish I’d done it now.

You might not even need to mess about with it, I installed a decent MicroSD card (512 GB, 99€), and I can’t really tell the difference between playing on the SSD or MicroSD.

And I’m sure even that shaders get installed on the SSD, it can be dealt with. Too bad I didn’t know any of this back when I pre-ordered, so, I didn’t get the cheapest one.

Yeah, I got a 256gb drive for 20$.

The smaller size ones are dirt cheap. I got a “like new” used drive. I would have bought the SD card anyway.

The toolkit was purchased just because I don’t have any nice precision screwdrivers.

I would say it saved about 100 bucks. If I went with an OEM new Kingston drive, (same as Valve uses) it would have saved 60$, as those are about 60$ on digikey.

Huge props to Valve on making the deck super easy to repair and upgrade.

With the exception of the one component that is guaranteed to have an expected remaining lifespan shorter than that of even most people on this board… the battery :/

I’m sure there are reasons they made it so frigging impossible to get to, but dang. Linus of the titular Tech Tips nearly started a fire getting it out. (And nearly broke a few other things getting to it.)

My Steam Deck was rendered unusable at one point because of shader cache and compatibility files filling up the 64GB internal storage completely. I was only using a 256GB microSD card at the time, as well.

As I said before, I’m pretty sure the Steam Deck doesn’t remove those files when you uninstall games, so if you install and uninstall games frequently, that internal storage fills up fast. (And that isn’t even getting into non-Steam software that only functions on the internal storage.)

Can they be deleted?

Yes, but it was significantly more of an ordeal than installing the 512GB SSD.

The queue is dead.

Long live the queue?