All-purpose gun legislation thread

I’m thoroughly disappointed the NRA didn’t use this opportunity to nominate a teacher to be president of the organization.

I admit I’m dumb. I simply accepted that when Google said he was the president, that the link it had supporting that assertion actually said that. He’s apparently the Executive VP, and the CEO.

I can’t get over them making an actual gun-runner their President.

This is a pretty good proposal on a National Gun licensing for semi-automatic guns of all types. It’s written by a self-described gun nut, who also happens to work for Ars:

I’m curious of what people think. I like it, but feel that the conservatives won’t get close to it because it’s still a sort of registry and once they have your names, they can come and get your guns at anytime. I’d support it.

Just like a wop to bring a semiautomatic gun to a not-technically-fully-automatic-but-faster-semiautomatic gunfight.

Yup. That’s pretty much a non-starter for the NRA and a lot of the base.

Really?

Oh come on, I can’t quote the Untouchables now?

Wow. That movie is 31 years old.
I got the reference, ~CaptainAmericaGif~ for whatever it’s worth, lol.

Be Best.

Stop cyberbullying me.

The holes in the plan that he lists are not the holes I would’ve picked. This guy would be interesting to debate with, but I don’t find the proposal that interesting.

Requiring a license for ANY semi-automatic, and basically admitting the license requirements would have to be negotiated, is what interests me. For example, I wish there was a firearm handling training required as well as firearm safe storage, which could have tests such as like when you renew at the DMV.

For me, it’s an admission that the definition of “assault weapons” is taken off the table by requiring this for all semi-automatic weapons - which goes far further than any assault weapon.

Now what the liberals don’t get is a any type of ban.

So what would make it more interesting in your opinion?

Not blaming ‘liberals’ for wanting gun control. I’m as liberal as anyone I know. I own two guns. And I would have gladly accepted stronger licensing and purchasing controls. And still would. Close the gunshow loophole. Have stronger (and if needed, longer) background checks.

I’m in the same camp. Please require strict licensing and background checks for everyone. I’ll happily take the test.

If the background checks are required then maybe the NRA will push for a central registry across all States so that the checks are virtually instant. That would be a win for everyone all round.

Ollie, what is you doin?

They call them activists. That’s what they’re calling themselves. They’re not activists — this is civil terrorism. This is the kind of thing that’s never been seen against a civil rights organization in America,” he said.

“You go back to the terrible days of Jim Crow and those kinds of things — even there you didn’t have this kind of thing,” he said. “We didn’t have the cyberwar kind of thing that we’ve got today.”

Another log on the ‘NRA is evil’ fire.