All-purpose gun legislation thread

I wonder if there is more info than we have been told here. Like a history of grievance between the two or something. I can’t for the life of me figure out why they’d charge with first-degree murder given that video.

Even if there was, it sounds like a fight broke out. I am not a legal expert, but if there’s an altercation right before someone pulls a gun, it seems like it can’t possibly be pre-meditated murder. It’d have to be some really crafty set-up to pretend to fight someone just so it can look good on a video when you shoot them. I’m thinking she is not a criminal genius… just a guess.

Yeah, super strange. But jpinard’s point is valid no matter what. The woman said she shot in self defense, when she put herself in that position.

But I think we’ll see this more and more. For example, “he was reaching for my gun” will become more prevalent, as it seems to be a catch-all excuse by cops that works wonders.

Supplemented by the obvious complementary defense of “He’s coming right for us!”

Yeah I don’t believe that’s self-defense either but it seems like you can use that for just about anything these days. She brought the gun to the party and now anyone might be endangering her because they could get her gun.

An alternate theory is that the prosecution deliberately over-charged 1st degree to protect the bond agent and forcing non-guilty verdict.

This was my immediate take as well. Knowing how people in the corrections system are all chummy, this is an all too plausible answer.

Eh, I dunno about that. When she shoots him, she doesn’t look like she’s pulling the slide, based on where her left hand is.

I can already hear the comments by my family, “It’s already illegal for felons to own guns, so more gun control laws aren’t the answer. Take our guns and criminals will be the only ones left with them. Derp de do.”

After seizing the 432 weapons at the suspect’s house, a second warrant was served at the home of a woman connected to Fernandez, where 30 illegal firearms were seized, according to the sheriff’s department. Officials said the woman was not home when the warrant was served and is still unaccounted for, though she could face charges in the future as well.

A day later, law enforcement officials further searched Fernandez’s home and found 91 more weapons hidden at the residence.

So the NRA will be releasing a statement offering support to Jason’s family while condemning the irresponsible use of force against a person who was legally carrying, right?

(Also, this is an odd sentence from that article):

Two of Washington’s colleagues and at least one witness say Washington, 45, was black.

Just a damn shame there’s nothing Congress can do about the problem. Thoughts and prayers!

I’m actually surprised they caved on the export control restrictions. I can only assume the government was forced to take a settlement itself to preserve the wider regulations by allowing this direct challenge to go through. One good turn deserves another.

IANALorAnythingCloseToIt, so please pardon my ignorance in seeking clarity;

So as I understand it, he can provide plans for 3D printed guns and what not, but are restrictions still in place if they’re ever actually made?

I think that if you actually make a firearm, you are bound by the same rules that require things like traceable serial numbers and crap?

But it gives an ability for a criminal to create firearms… although, to be clear, it’s probably harder to print a functional weapon than it is to buy one off the black market. You need some high end equipment to produce a firearm with enough structural integrity to not explode when you fire it.

Personally, I feel like the decision of the court here is correct, in that I wouldn’t feel good about the government limiting our ability to distribute purely intellectual property, on the basis of it being “dangerous”. That kind of limitation could be abused.

I wouldn’t want to shoot a printed gun any bigger than a .22.

Thing is… guns aren’t all that complex really. Anyone with a machining lathe can make a functional firearm fairly easily.

For a .22 all you need is a car antenna, a block of wood, a strip of metal, a strong rubberband and a thumbtack. AKA zip gun. Nasty wounds because the bullet tumbles. If it doesn’t explode first.

Yeah .22s aren’t much. Which is why when I’ve seen people freak out about “22 Long Rifle, OMG” I’ve been known to slam my head into tables.

I assume they’re thinking of .223, but there is a pretty massive difference.

I mean you could buy milk cartons of .22LR that have like 250 rounds. So hearing someone had a thousand rounds of it doesn’t really elicit a response from me.

Then again I think I have near a thousand rounds of M1-clipped .30-06 sitting around here in some ammo boxes from my dad’s stash.